main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph One Thread To Rule Them All: The Rings of Power + The Hobbit & Lord of the Rings Trilogies

Discussion in 'Community' started by -Courtney-, Nov 25, 2006.

1. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Seeing the movie tonight, can't wait :D

2. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
  3. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I'll be seeing this at some point in the far future.

4. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    So, Desolation of Smaug/There and Back Again/happens later in the book spoilers. Ye have been warned.

My first thought when leaving the theater was
    Wow. All of that drama trying to save Kili was completely pointless. Oh well.
    :p

EDIT: I did like it, by the way. Lake-Town was just how I imagined it. Smaug was better than I imagined him (and Benedict Cumberbatch is my new headcanon Smaug voice). Azog was more tolerable a presence in this film. I was underwhelmed by Beorn, which is sad because I think he's one of the best characters in the book. Tauriel was acceptable, though her romance subplot with Beardless was straining my willing suspension of disbelief. Elves and Men, sure. Elves and Dwarves? Not in a bazillion years.

Speaking of which, why is the female always the Elf? Unless you count the Aegnor/Andreth story but meh. No happy ending.

Oh, Also EDIT:
    The moment in the beginning with Bilbo and the little spider bugged me. It just didn't fit in with Ring lore and Bilbo's history.It felt like he was pulling a DéagolKill (DK), which is something he was explicitly not supposed to do, hence him staying relatively normal for so long. But that's book purism stuff...

Jedishine, Rew and VanishingReality like this.
  5. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I guess "I See Fire" is getting some radio airtime today, since I heard it earlier. Funny enough, Led Zeppelin's Ramble On played immediately after it. :D

6. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Saw it last night, and I love it. I like it better than the first. Very enjoyable and a fun movie to watch. Can't wait for part three.

Jedishine likes this.
  7. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Is the conclusion satisfactory?

8. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    It's fine as a movie, but seriously I think this is probably the worst of the six, especially if we compare it to The Two Towers.

This movie showed that it's not a good idea to expand the Hobbit into 3 movies. The tempo is too slow and it felt a bit disconnected through various places and different people, with no real climax. The necromancer plot isn't interesting until the end. The Tauriel character's romance is weak. The Smaug fight isn't good enough as the long movie's climax, Smaug spent too much time in talking and the action scenes weren't really impressive, especially in the end Smaug wasn't hurt at all. Compare to TTT, personally my favorite LotR movie and the best battle of the LotR movie trilogy, the climax isn't even close.

I'm sure next one will be the best of the Hobbit Trilogy due to saving so many climax. But this one, I can't say it's awesome.

Rew likes this.
  9. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I wouldn't say this one has a conclusion or even a cliffhanger- it just kinda stops.

10. MrZAP

Jun 2, 2007
    Well, it was kind of a cliffhanger
    what with Smaug flying off to Lake-Town.
    I absolutely agree that it was really abrupt, though. I didn't expect it to end when it did.

11. VanishingReality

VanishingReality Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2013
    I thought the worst part of the romance side plot was when Kili said the elf-maiden could seach his pants. LOTR franchise, you can either stay perfectly classy like you have been for years OR legitimize millions of very, very disturbing fanfics as canon. Please make the right choice for the sake of all humanity.

FRAGWAGON, lbr789, Chewgumma and 3 others like this.
  12. MrZAP

Jun 2, 2007
    Did anyone else have trouble not seeing Thranduil as Ned from Pushing Daisies?

13. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
  14. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    I don't understand Thranduil.
    Since he didn't want "low rank" elves to marry his son, and he didn't want to bother with the outer world, does that mean he wanted his son to be alone for his whole life? That's sad.

15. laurethiel1138

laurethiel1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 6, 2003
    Just a bit of WMG here, but
    maybe he hoped to join two royal houses together, what with Arwen not having met Aragorn quite yet... or at least not in any way that could make her think of him as a future spouse.

Lauré :)

16. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Yeah, maybe he wanted Arwen to marry Legolas.

17. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, the abruptness is what I meant. Even the last film had a quiet teaser of sorts with them looking out at the mountain and Smaug opening his eye.

Which reminds me- have there been any comments from Jackson or anybody on where the 2-film break would have been?

Would the first film have ended with the escape from the Elves? Allowing the 2nd film to start off slow in the lake town and have all of the Smaug action in a single film? (thus avoiding the awkward ending in the current film)?

18. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    More like a cop out.

19. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Just saw the movie

Amazing movie and loved the cliffhanger

Jedishine likes this.
  20. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Really enjoyed it. Saw the super HD version. Looked like I was watching a play sometimes. As for the rest.....

IT moved a lot faster and didn't slog along like the last one. Well, atleast it didn't until the last 30 minutes or so. As impressive as Smaug was, the whole molten gold side quest was just a little to much. Ass began to hurt at that part. And I don't think the story in the Hobbit justified a 2 hour and 40 minute movie. I did like the extra stuff. The action scenes, espeically the barrel scene, were great. Originally I thought adding Legolas was going to be forced, but I found I really enjoyed his scenes in the film. I was also surprised with Lily. Far as I'm concerned she stole the show. Not bad since I thought her character was going to fail out right, but she ended up being the best thing in it for me. The added love story with her and Fili was great too. I actually felt that it was needed in the story.

Also very impressed with the spiders and the clever way Jackson used the Ring to allow for the spiders to talk in the book. I don't like spiders, and Jackson helped continue that dislike. Very creepy movements, freaky, and just very well done.

Oh, and I LOVED LOVED the Sauron reveal scene. That was an AWESOME visual.

If we go with the book, Smaug is dead in 20 minutes of the next film. Then you have the deal with Bilbo stealing the stone. The battle at Dol Guldor. Then Battle of 5 armies. All that should be great. What's even gonna be more great is how Jackson gets 3 hours out of it.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  21. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Hope we get to see Bilbo get the mithril shirt

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  22. duende

duende Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 28, 2006
    i think that might have been the worst peter jackson/tolkien movie yet. oh my goodness.

Bacon164 likes this.
  23. VanishingReality

VanishingReality Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2013

I was so disappoint that there wasn't more Sauron. I was expecting half the movie to be the added Necromancer plot because that would have been awesome. Benedict Cumberbatch was still a great villain as Smaug, so the extra Smaug scenes almost made up for it.

Jedishine likes this.
  24. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Bombur is the greatest Dwarf ever. This is a fact!

25. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Now even

Gimli was mentioned and had a drawing, is Arwen the only LotR character who wasn't born/too young but didn't show up or get mentioned? It's so sad.