main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph One Thread To Rule Them All: The Rings of Power + The Hobbit & Lord of the Rings Trilogies

Discussion in 'Community' started by -Courtney-, Nov 25, 2006.

1. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    I dunno if you have AUJ EE yet, but if you've seen the docs you'll know not to wish for that :D

ALL the dwarves (yes including Kili and Fili) are wearing body suits to make them look wider. Also wearing prosthetics on their arms & hands. And all except Kili on their faces as well. There is very little real skin on any of the dwarves.

2. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    Kili has a bit on his nose.

Jarren_Lee-Saber and Ender Sai like this.
  3. laurethiel1138

laurethiel1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 6, 2003
    Oh, I know. Trust me, I know. Some things cannot be unseen. Unfortunately. :eek:

That doesn't stop me from imagining, though. And what with the size of Thorin's arms in the movie, it is not so very difficult to get a hint of his general physique. Which does seem to be altogether more agreeable to the eye than that of some other Dwarves. ;)

Lauré :)

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  4. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
  5. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    [face_laugh]

6. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

This was already the saddest, worst thread in the JC but it has a ruler now, at least.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  7. laurethiel1138

Feb 6, 2003
    I'm not stopping you from commenting on this thread, now, am I? If you want to introduce another subject, then please do. I have no wish to be master of anything, except of my own fate.

Darkslayer and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  8. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    So, went last night, full-blown IMAX, and in English. Which brings me to probably my favorite part of the movie: Smaug's voice - Cumberbatch and the sound people did a tremendous job. The dragon visual effects were also excellent, so much so that I didn't mind Jackson extending the Erebor scenes at the end, even if they did remind me of AOTC a bit too much. Luckily Bilbo didn't have a built in jet pack.

The hardest thing in assessing the movie is what to make of all the extra stuff Jackson threw in. I've always liked his decision to throw in the Dol Guldur stuff, and I found it well done. The added scenes with the barrel escape were also excellent, especially in 3D. But that, of course, brings as to

the elf-dwarf romance angle. I have to say, I didn't mind it, up to a point. That point being the arrow the Sexiest Dwarf Alive takes in the leg, which Jackson then takes too far. Give us a bit more of the full company in Lake Town, certainly more Bard, but the whole orc attack was wholly unnecessary. And the romance was only necessary to bring Tauriel (who I generally liked quite much) to Lake Town.

So, overall definitely a thumb up, though not quite on the level if any of the 3 LOTR films.

9. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    What was you're opinion of the Sauron reveal?

10. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    I thought that, in and of itself, was excellent. Not sure I like the orc troops heading to Erebor coming from Dol Guldur rather than the mountains, though.

11. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    There was one moment in that that I didn't like, though, the eye-in-an-eye-in-an-eye shot.

Why do you ask? Is that generally unpopular? I haven't really been following the discussion here or elsewhere much, other than understanding the general disdain for the inter-racial/-species romance.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  12. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
  13. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    real talk: the eye-in-eye-in-eye moment was a cool idea that wound up looking like a poorly-made perpetually looping .gif

14. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Maybe Sauron was trying to kill Gandalf via massive brain-murdering seizures?

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  15. laurethiel1138

Feb 6, 2003
    Well, I interpreted the "Eye of Sauron" scene more from Gandalf's perspective than from a strictly cinematographic point of view. It's as though he were telling himself: "By the Valar! The Necromancer truly is Sauron! All my deepest fears are confirmed, and Eru help me, but I have no idea how we are going to vanquish him, short of finding the One Ring and destroying it!"

It is an appropriate visual shorthand for the vertigo Gandalf would have felt at the moment, between dread and panic at the idea that Sauron would have regained enough of his power to become again a credible threat to peace in Middle-Earth. Add to that the fact that Smaug was still breathing fire at that point and therefore still a terrifying potential ally of the Dark Lord, and you might have a very preoccupied Istar indeed.

16. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    It's a cool moment, it's just that the way they looped it makes it look like a crappy .gif

17. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I felt like I was tripping balls and started to drool on the people next to me.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  18. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
  19. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    There you go, prime example of what I'm talking about.

20. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Smaug loves Nutella.

21. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    That is the joke.

Ender Sai likes this.
  22. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I'm 100% convinced Legolas Skywalker is Ralph Brown's son.

I'd tell you who Ralph Brown is but LS can do that.

23. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Uhh I'm not Ralph Brown's son considering the fact that he is English and I'm Canadian, and I am nowhere near related to him

God, you people make me laugh [face_laugh]

Darkslayer likes this.
  24. Rebel_Padawan

Rebel_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 11, 2003
    Watched the film for a second time last night.

I still don't understand why the giant dwarf statue that momentarily mesmerises Smaug suddenly becomes liquefied.

25. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Was all part of the plan.

Darkslayer likes this.