main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph One Thread To Rule Them All: The Rings of Power + The Hobbit & Lord of the Rings Trilogies

Discussion in 'Community' started by -Courtney-, Nov 25, 2006.

1. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    The estate wouldn't be able to stop original stories, since New Line or WB or whatever have to rights to do original stories as long as they don't infringe upon non-Hobbit/LotR works by Tolkien.

Copyright law is a mess, folks.

2. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    The Hobbit: 1937 ( and there's no "the" )

3. DarthWilliams

DarthWilliams Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2008
    OK, I've gotta ask: how good are these films? I adored the LOTR films, but shied away from seeing either of the first two Hobbit films because the tone just felt off in the trailers (I know, I know, like judging a book by its cover).

4. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Not.

There's obviously a good story in there because The Hobbit is a good story, but these are bloated, meandering messes and if you were one of the people who liked LOTR and disliked Jackson's changes (which I was not, btw -- I just liked LOTR) you will hate this even more.

5. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    I liked Jackson's theatrical Fellowship. It shows tremendous creativity and audacity. After that, the whole project is progressively mired in post production bloat. And then the Hobbit built all the bloat in from the start.

6. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012

Great movies.

7. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    DOS is the shortest in the series, but it feels like the longest and most tedious.

8. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    I would describe them as very entertaining and beautiful movies that share 50% in common with the book. When you do hit a point that is from the book you'll be so pleasantly surprised but the rest you'll be thinking "I don't remember this happening...".

9. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    "There's a couple of big surprises. The one thing I'm really looking forward to is seeing the Battle of the Five Armies." - Richard Armitage

Chances of Smaug showing up as someone theorized?

10. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012

BFA will be shorter according to Armitage

EE of TDOS will be longer than AUJ

11. laurethiel1138

laurethiel1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 6, 2003
    Or maybe he's only talking of Thranduil's megaloceros giganteus laying quite a few Orcs low with his antlers?

Lauré :)

12. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    If Smaug is in the final battle, I'm afraid I'll have to pre-kill myself before that scene.

13. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    If you're referring to the new title of the film, it is in fact The Battle of the Five Armies. Which is ridiculous, frankly.

14. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I like the first Hobbit flick. A lot. The 2nd is very good but I was personally hoping for a better Smaug. It's not horrible, but Smaug is quite the giant cartoon.

15. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i loved the first thirty minutes of the first film, and loathed most of the rest of it. the second film was pretty awful and i fell asleep during the endless escape sequence toward the end. i will probably watch the third film for the sake of completion, but if you've avoided them thus far i honestly wouldn't bother with them.

Bacon164 likes this.
  16. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Don't listen to tom, he only knows music.

17. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012

You're obviously drinking battery acid. Smaug is hands-down the best dragon ever committed to film since Dragonslayer. Connery's dragon in Dragonheart would have been ok had that movie not been awful.

Sarge likes this.
  18. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    See, we agree but to a differant degree. I was hoping for a talking Vermithrax as far as convinicing special effects. But it's closer to Draco than Vermithrax. Vermithrax is still the best dragon on screen despite a few moments where you can tell it's a puppet. I liked Smaug, it was well done, just not well enough.

Mortimer Snerd likes this.
  19. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
  20. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002

THAT is one of the greatest thrills I have ever had in a theatre. The Smaug that followed to not match it.

21. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Smaug >>> All dragons

22. burrisjedimaster1

burrisjedimaster1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2002
    This Movie left me wanting the end!:_|

23. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    I'd still say watch them, but don't expect super greatness. I absolutely love them, but I feel it's mostly due to nostalgia, actors I love, and a crap-ton of internet-bred inside jokes.

24. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005

really? it's also an incomplete, badly rendered FX shot.

25. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Smaug was great. Problem is, as in the book for me, he's about the only thing really worth seeing. I guess the build-up to him was worth it, but it was a long build. At least the book is short so he appears sooner.

But he was wonderfully voiced and excellently realised, aside from the inconsistency in his appearance in both Hobbit movies.

Why they turned him into a Wyvern is beyond me, it looks silly and doesn't differentiate him easily from the Dragon-like creatures the Nazgul ride on in the LOTR.