main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph One Thread To Rule Them All: The Rings of Power + The Hobbit & Lord of the Rings Trilogies

Discussion in 'Community' started by -Courtney-, Nov 25, 2006.

1. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I agree. But as I said it depends on the movie. "Gorilla At Large"....you're an idiot.

2. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    How? I like EP III because of its tragic climax, sure it could have had some improvement but still I like it a lot. EP IV was a simple story(typical hero saga) that got handled well. EP VI was a fine finale but the weakest of the trilogy. I like both of them, just think EP III is better. What's wrong? Even Sir Alec Guinness thought EP IV was just some stupid fairytale, does that make him a bad person or idiot? No. It's just his opinion.

3. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Um, I like all the SW movies too. But you said attacking someone for their film opinion is wrong and I joked that two of the worst films ever made make you an idiot if you like them.

4. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Fine, let's get back to LotR/Hobbit.

5. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Yes, let's get back on topic of Hobbits and Wizards

6. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I actually do really enjoy the Hobbit flicks but I think dramatically, pacing, and story structure, the LOTR films are superior. But there is so much stuff going on in the Hobbit movies I'm diggin in Hobbit anyway. I'm fine if it's taking too long to tell a story, flawed but still enjoyable. Martin Freeman is fantastic and while it's odd that he often gets relegated to a supporting character in his own damn movie, frequently when he's at the centre of a sequence, the movie upticks in engaging me.

TX-20 and Sarge like this.
  7. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i agree about freeman. but his great performance just makes me wish they'd simply told the story that is in the book that much more.

8. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    I know the orcs are going to be in the battle of the five armies, but what about the goblins from unexpected journey, Are the going to be in it as well?

9. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    That's a good question. Hopefully.

Because of the Peter Jackson interpretation, the Wargs aren't really their own army, they're steed for goblins/orcs.

So right now, it would only be 4 armies.

10. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Maybe the Nazgul will join the fight?

11. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012

Well not all the Orcs ride the Wargs so technically the Wargs would be counted as the 5th

Slowpokeking Well it is reported that the Witch King will appear in the film

12. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    That only makes sense given the inclusion of a plotline involving him that was in the other two films.

13. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Maybe Boba Fett will be in this one too??!!

14. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Really? Oh wait, that's right, the earlier movies mentioned the "Necromancer" raising the Witch-King from his tomb... which seems silly, since I don't think the Nine were ever entombed in the books (they just laid low in Mordor I think?) and implies they're something like zombies (rather than just being unnaturally long life due to their Rings), and there was that part where an Elf prophesied that no man could kill the Witch-King which led to Eowyn of course.

I don't have much problem with Freeman, he's a great actor and does a great job in the movies, but he and the main plot of the book (13 dwarves and a hobbit go try to take on a dragon) keep getting upstaged by stuff like Radagast (great acting there too, though) and Gandalf and Dol Goldur. The dwarves are reduced to comic relief and Bilbo is dragged down with them. Like the whole river barrel chasing sequence- the dwarves do a little bit, but its mostly an elf showcase.

Just hope they don't undercut the actual Battle of Five Armies too much by having all the major magical higher powers (Gandalf, Galadriel, Elrond, Saruman) take on the Necromancer while over at the Lonely Mountain its "only" a bunch of dwarves, humans and elves fighting it out with swords and stuff against orcs and wargs. I half expect they'll have Gandalf on an eagle at some point. Come to think of it, did the movies introduce Dain yet? Since they did that whole flashback to Thorin's past and the Oakenshield part (and threw in something about him failing to kill that big orc) but forget if they bothered to cast Dain yet.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  15. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Dain will be in the film

Billy Connolly will play him.

Bail B. Baobab likes this.
  16. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    It would be hella awesome if Norman Reedus and Sean Patrick Flannery had cameos as some of Dain's Dwarves. Boondock Saints 3: The Battle of the Five Armies.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  17. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    I think they just ran out of usable tag lines after 5 movies.

Also, I think the trailer makes it pretty darned clear why Evangeline Lily' character doesn't show up in the LOTR.

18. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    But does she end up in a church?

TX-20 likes this.
  19. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Yes. Many warm embraces are shared. Everyone is happy.

And Bombur and Thranduil ride off in a cart at the end to redeem Saruman.

20. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    The Hobbit: TDOS Trailer and Blu Ray Changes

21. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    So Peter Jackson is George Lucas II?

22. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I can't wait until November when this thread explodes with the Hodoring like always.

"lols I wunder if Gandalf will beat sauron to death with his staff??!!"
    "will the eagles eat smuag and poop him into mt. doom?? lololol"

23. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    wasn't that clear the second he started selling dvds and blu rays of theatrical releases and extended editions, and then crystal clear once Hobbit part 1 came out?

but trailers are a special case. I think the standard is that because of timing studios usual prepare f/x shots exclusively for the trailers separate from the main post production cgi rendering/compositing/color grading etc. pipeline.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  24. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

I didn't think he had made changes to existing material in those DVDs yet; only additional material.

25. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I wonder what cool Easter Eggs will be in TBOFA?