main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph One Thread To Rule Them All: The Rings of Power + The Hobbit & Lord of the Rings Trilogies

Discussion in 'Community' started by -Courtney-, Nov 25, 2006.

1. moreorless12

moreorless12 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2016
    On one hand yeah there is a lot of material in the books Jackson didn't cover and potentially a few "off screen" elements that could be expanded upon but on the other I'm not sure Lord of the Rings is nearly as well suited for TV as something like A Song of Fire and Ice.

Lord of the Rings for me is naturally a cinematic work with its grand romantic heroism and indeed its very strong focus on building atmosphere. Its not really something that lends itself to the ultra detailed and down to earth character interactions of Game of Thrones for me.

You look at the extra material you cover for example and the Old Forrest/Barrow section of Fellowship would be a kind of atmospheric thriller/horror as much as anything, very different from the drama that dominates most TV/Net series. This needs the hand of a highly skilled visual director to really be successful for me.

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Just have Charles Dance play every role, use the money saved on other cast members to boost the FX and set design budgets. Boom.

BigAl6ft6 and PCCViking like this.
  3. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I say go different and go big: Ozzy Osborn for Gandalf and Saul Hudson for Saruman!

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  4. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i think in order to save on both effects and casting budget the show should just be about tom bombadil and his many adventures. i suggest nick offerman for the role. i suppose you would need a goldberry too but maybe she could just occasionally shout things from off screen. think of the possibilities. episode 1: tom bombadil talks to a tree. episode 2: tom bombadil farts in a pond and writes a song about it, etc.

5. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    I am little disappointed that we may not get a chance for a silmiralloin movie or tv shows and if.we are getting a reboot show, the positive side we could get is alot of details from the books not. seen in peter Jacksons. movies. It is too early to know what is going to happen.

6. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    I would totally watch a Tom Bombadil tv show.

MrZAP, B3 and tom like this.
  7. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  8. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Sold. I want a pilot script on my desk before Thanksgiving.

The Vanguard, starfish and tom like this.
  9. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Springtime for Bombadil: A Gay Romp Through the Old Forest with Tom and Goldberry.

10. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    Goldberry is going to be so hot! I'm talking former supermodel who is an actor now level of hot. Tom will be ripped.

11. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    If we've got to get a new series, I say we go with my original idea from a few years ago and just have Ken Burns make a "documentary" about The Silmarillion.

Also Ralph Bakshi is still alive and working. Just sayin'.

Bacon164, TX-20 and Gamiel like this.
  12. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Gandalf Was Only a 5th Level Magic-User

with image of original Dragon Magazine article.

13. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I like that the original article leaves open the possibility that the game's level scaling is where the actual error lies, that's rarely included in modern versions of the argument.

Gamiel, MrZAP, Sarge and 1 other person like this.
  14. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    And that's why BRP level-less system is better.

Sarge likes this.
  15. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
  16. laurethiel1138

laurethiel1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 6, 2003
    My favourite part of the article:
    "Amazon's LOTR series will be set in Middle Earth and explore new storylines preceding Tolkien’s The Fellowship of the Ring. The deal includes a potential additional spinoff series."

I cannot wait to see what new adventures might unfold on the small screen...

black_saber likes this.
  17. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    I honestly never thought this would happen - it feels weird but very exciting nonetheless. It's little confusing in that this says Lord of the Rings but implies that they could do pretty much anything Tolkien as well.

black_saber likes this.
  18. The Vanguard

The Vanguard Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2016
    Amazon you box happy delivery giant! I could kiss you if you were corporeal!

19. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    At last the adventures of Bandobras "Bullroarer" Took will get the subscription streaming service original content series treatment they so richly deserve.

darthcaedus1138, MrZAP, Ghost and 3 others like this.
  20. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Yeah, I think that part of this wasn't in the earlier rumors. And it's kind of murky... so they want to call it "LOTR", but it really comes before what LOTR actually covered, plus that potential spinoff too. And by preceding LOTR, I guess that could mean either before or after The Hobbit.

cwustudent likes this.
  21. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Finally, an adaptation of the Shadow of... video game series to really capture the epic grandeur of the oh god I can't even pretend to finish that sentence.

MrZAP, BigAl6ft6, EHT and 1 other person like this.
  22. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    The adventures of young Aragon and Elladan and Elrohir. Bank it. Hope we get some hobbits.

23. B3

B3 Chosen One star 6

Jan 21, 2014
    All I really want from a prequel is the adventures of the three remarkable Took sisters.

Jedi Knight Fett and Strongbow like this.
  24. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    Wonder if they'll maintain the design work from the films? I'd like it to feel congruous.

25. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Star Wars TV, Lord of the Rings TV... now I just need my dream of an animated Harry Potter multi-season TV series adaption come true and I'd be all set! :D