main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph One Thread To Rule Them All: The Rings of Power + The Hobbit & Lord of the Rings Trilogies

Discussion in 'Community' started by -Courtney-, Nov 25, 2006.

1. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    This thread is overblown.

2. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Much like an enormous, ambitious, multi-volume epic, no brief children's story can be properly realized on the silver screen without at least ten hours of running time.

3. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    The December issue of EMPIRE is a Hobbit special. It's awesome. I'm going to read the entire feature this evening. Some gorgeous images... but... but... LOOK!!!! I scanned it from the magazine. [face_whistling]

[​IMG]

4. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Is that... bird droppings on the right side of his face? [face_laugh]

Aiwendil indeed. :p

5. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    I can answer that with this short extract from the page on Radagast:

Is that bird crap in his hair? "Yes," he laughs, "there's a birds' nest on my head, and the birds don't like to mess their nest, so they stick their bottoms out and poo on my face. It's a wonderful costume. It was Peter's idea that it should be sort of like a dormouse, with animals running in and out of his beard."

6. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Umm ... okay, a little gross. Cool image, though.

7. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Radagast is kwazy.

8. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    he's like a cat lady x 1000.

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  9. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    So Radagast is the ex-husband of Pigeon Lady from Home Alone 2?

10. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Oh Scots.

11. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    That's disgusting!

12. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    This . . . is the kind of thing that makes me nervous. I can tolerate a certain amount of dwarf humor and the occasional shield-surfing and whatever. But "Heeeheee, how about he has birds in his hat and they POOP on him! Hahaha! He's got bird poop on his face!" is really not the sort of character-design move that can be observed with any confidence.

13. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Yeah, it sounds a little George Lucas-y.

But I expect Radagast to be 1000x better than Jar Jar Binks.

No movie is perfect.

14. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    At least Jar Jar's character design wasn't premised on having his face permanently encrusted in bird ****, though.

I dunno, maybe it's some kind of competition with Johnny Depp to see who can look more ridiculous running around with a bird on his head and his face coated in white makeup.

15. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
  16. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    If it's flagged up in the film, or we actually see a bird acting as described, then yes I agree that could be a misstep. If the droppings are not referenced - their significance left to the imagination of those keen enough to imagine - then I've no problem. Hardly as noticeable as dwarf humour or Legolas showboating. Personally I suspect the droppings will not be commented upon. As far as the film itself is concerned they're just small costuming detail. As far as an interviewer is concerned they're a great opportunity to add a bit of humour to his or her copy.

17. Jedi_Hood

Jedi_Hood Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 10, 2000
    Saw the preview last night for the first time. Am very stoked. :D

18. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Well, the bird droppings were clearly visible in the second trailer, and no one complained about them - until now, when they've been specifically pointed out. So unless it's specifically referenced in the film, as Everton says, I see no problem with it. People will probably just ignore it.

19. laurethiel1138

laurethiel1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 6, 2003
    From Empire's December issue, in an interview with Richard Armitage:

How did you find the dwarven propensity for breaking into song?
    Oh, the singing was great fun, and they are great songs. Although I'm not going to win any opera awards soon.

I'm so happy. I really missed the various songs in the LOTR films, as in the books they definitely add to the reading experience, giving the many cultures of Middle-Earth more texture and depth. If part of the reason for making it three films instead of two is that they want to take their time with music and songs, then I'm all for it. More of Howard Shore's score can never be a bad thing.

And methinks Armitage is entirely too humble. His voice may not be of an opera caliber, but from that snippet we heard in the trailer, it seems to be fine enough.

Cheers,
    Lauré :)

20. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    The Radagast character seems like a lot of fun to me. These aren't humans in any case: they're supernatural beings who happen to take human form. Yet they're also imperfect beings. Because their personalities are unique, taking physical form has a range of effects on them. Sauruman become obsessed with the use of force and wielding military power. Radagast identifies too closely perhaps with nature. Only Gandalf manages to retain a real sense of perspective about who he is and his role, and that's why he is ultimately solely responsible among the wizards for orchestrating the destruction of Sauron.

Everton likes this.
  21. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    He should have an obvious eye infection.

22. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    He heals himself, with magic, because he's a wizard. :p

23. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    What if it's a staff infection?

Rew, RC-1991 and GenAntilles like this.
  24. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Yes.

Would that even be feasible though. I'm not that keen on the chronology but was Aragorn born at or nearly the end of that story?

25. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Aragorn was around 10 years old during the time of The Hobbit. I'm not sure about the chronology of Arathorn's death and Aragorn living in Rivendell, though.