main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph One Thread To Rule Them All: The Rings of Power + The Hobbit & Lord of the Rings Trilogies

Discussion in 'Community' started by -Courtney-, Nov 25, 2006.

1. Spiderfan

Spiderfan Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 9, 2004
    Yeah we got the joke the first time...

2. Kukbacca

Kukbacca Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 18, 1999
    IT'S NOT A JOKE

3. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    It's still annoying, though.

4. Kukbacca

Jun 18, 1999
    AS ANNOYING AS MY TYPING IN CAPS ALL THE TIME? :p

5. rechedelphar

rechedelphar Jedi Master star 6

Mar 29, 2004
    that's just obnoxious

6. Kukbacca

Jun 18, 1999
    MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YOU TOO

7. Darth-Horax

Darth-Horax Force Ghost star 6

Aug 22, 2001
    and his life/creative partner Walsh have always envisioned the big-screen adaptation of The Hobbit as two movies. The first would deal with the 80-year old novel. The second, imagined entirely by Jackson and Walsh, would link the conclusion of The Hobbit to the start of the first Lord of the Rings book, The Fellowship of the Ring.

This is what scares me. He's making a movie after The Hobbit that is non-Tolkien...imagined by he and his sleep partner...WHY MESS WITH PERFECTION?

8. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Well, not totally "non-Tolkien" -- it will be based o the appendixes and the description in the Silmarillion. It's not wholly made up by any means.

9. Darth-Horax

Darth-Horax Force Ghost star 6

Aug 22, 2001
    The Silmarillion is a bible-like reference to the days when Middle Earth was created. It doesnt' hold much sway in the story-line. It provides the references adn back stories to soem character that the main characters descend from.

Same as teh characters in teh Crhistopher Tolkien compilations...there's no meat to them.

10. Vezner

Vezner Force Ghost star 5

Dec 29, 2001
    This is very cool news. PJ made the LOTR movies an incredible example of film making and I'm 100% confident that he'll blow us away with The Hobbit. 2010 can't get here quick enough IMO.

11. -VAMPIRE-

-VAMPIRE- Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 19, 2003
    Cool, I'm fairly confident of being in these movies. Being a centaur in the first Narnia movie was an interesting experience, but being in The Hobbit would be magical. I'm still kicking myself for not bothering to audition for Rings.

If Steven directs the first Tintin movie, then surely that would free up Peter enough to direct The Hobbit.

12. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    As yankee8255 said, it's not non-Tolkien. There is a lot of stuff that happened between the Hobbit and FOTR - some of it is mentioned in the Appendices, some in the Unfinished Tales and some in the History of Middle-earth. There's definitely enough material to make a good film that will directly link the Hobbit and LOTR.

13. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Yeah, we definitely know enough, even from references in LOTR, as to what happened parallel to and after the Hobbit, with The White Council and driving Sauron from Dol Goldur, to provide a very good basis for the second movie.

14. Andalite-Bandit

Andalite-Bandit Jedi Padawan star 6

Apr 25, 2005
    I am extremely skeptical of this Hobbit "sequel." It isn't necessary, in the first place, and it's obviously being made as a money-maker. I'm not saying it won't be good...but...I dunno. I'm just skeptical, that's all.

I am really looking forward to The Hobbit though.

15. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    New Line Cinema sucks

A new battle of Middle-Earth is looming as the estate of The Lord of the Rings author JRR Tolkien prepares to sue the makers of the film trilogy based on his books.

The Tolkien Trust, the charity which represents the estate of the late author, claims that New Line Cinema agreed to pay it 7 per cent of the gross receipts, and is demanding the money. It is also threatening to block a proposed prequel to the films.

The trio of films, released between 2001 and 2003, was wildly successful.

Aside from the critical acclaim and the plethora of Oscars and other awards, the complaint claims that they have grossed over $6 billion (£3.07 billion) worldwide through box office receipts and DVD and merchandising sales.

However, the suit filed by the Trust claims that, apart from $62,500 (£32,000) paid upfront before production began, "not one penny" has changed hands.

The plaintiffs are seeking more than $150 million (£76 million) in damages, as well as a court order allowing the Tolkien Trust to terminate any rights New Line has on other works by the author.

This would have dire implications for New Line's biggest upcoming project - a two-film prequel based on Tolkien's The Hobbit, which is planned for release in 2010 and 2011.

The director of the Rings trilogy, Peter Jackson, is signed on as executive producer.

"The Tolkien trustees do not file lawsuits lightly, and have tried unsuccessfully to resolve their claims out of court," Steven Maier, an lawyer for the Tolkien estate, said in a statement.

"New Line has not paid the plaintiffs even one penny of its contractual share of gross receipts despite the billions of dollars of gross revenue generated by these wildly successful motion pictures."

Robert Pini, a spokesman for Time Warner Inc's New Line, declined to comment.

This is not the first time that New Line have been involved in the courts over The Lord of the Rings. Hollywood producer Saul Zaentz claimed the studio failed to pay him $20 million (£10.2 million) in royalties from the film trilogy.

An out-of-court settlement was eventually reached. However, it is believed to have been costly, and New Line will be hoping that they are not making a hobbit of it.

16. ShrunkenJedi

ShrunkenJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 26, 2003
    :-B Hoho, not making a hobbit out of it...

Seriously, though, I know it's pretty much the New Line management's job to pay out the bare minimum, but with this and the debaucle with Jackson over his own share, etc... their duty to New Line doesn't extend to not honoring agreements, and would seem to hurt their case by making no one, especially their cash cows, want to work with them any more. What in the name of all that is holy has got into them to treat their filmaking partners this way?

17. Mortimer_Snerd

Mortimer_Snerd Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 14, 2004

Uwe Boll
    Roland Emmerich

Possibly the worst directors of any movies ever.

18. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Don't forget Ed Wood! :p

19. Mortimer_Snerd

Mortimer_Snerd Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 14, 2004
    At least Ed Wood's films are good for a yuk or two. They're just fun...like wearing a really loud shirt.

20. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Nothing signed yet, but Ian McKellen is keeping 2009 free to reprise the Gandalf role.

Source

21. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    So GDT is still basically pegged to direct, right? Some recent posts in this thread make it sound like it's Jackson.
    Assuming it's still the former (as mentioned in the Ian article), I am super excited to see his take on it. No offese to PJ but I would much rather see GDT do The Hobbit.

And yes, the second moive is a money grubbing joke, let's please not pretend otherwise. Doesn't mean it can't be good or a meaningful addition to the cinematic tale but it is all about the greenbacks.

22. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    OMG Ian Mckellen GNADALF THE GREY NOT GANDALF THE WHITE YAY

23. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    That's what I was thinking.

24. LilyHobbitJedi

LilyHobbitJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 29, 2005
    I'm glad that Ian McKellen signed on, nobody else could do Gandalf justice. And I'm happy to hear they reached a settlement.

25. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Well, at least the lawyers are loving this.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/entertainment/news/article.cfm?c_id=1501119&objectid=10584693

More at the link.