main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph One Thread To Rule Them All: The Rings of Power + The Hobbit & Lord of the Rings Trilogies

Discussion in 'Community' started by -Courtney-, Nov 25, 2006.

1. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Y U TROLLING

2. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    I think it's more of that the hobbit is a huge part of my childhood, as was star wars. This is just looking to be another half-***ed reinvention of something that was good.

3. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
    I don't get it....does it have to be 95% RT score or bust? :p

Random Comments likes this.
  4. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
  5. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
  6. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Clearly Tolkien's moment has passed, as far as the larger culture is concerned. Or something. People now explicitly saying that Tolkien couldn't write a good plot? Madness.

RC-1991 and Random Comments like this.
  7. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    You should be.

Another thing I like about the reviews is that everyone says that the LOTR is superior. NO @##% LOTR has always be superior over the Hobbit. Glad to see that still hasn't changed. :)

Arawn_Fenn likes this.
  8. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    The movie isn't out yet! Until one is able to see it, and its box-office, you can't say it's a failure. I really don't like, for example, Avatar, but it wasn't a failure.
    Make a decision for yourself after seeing it. Don't state that a movie is a failure before having seen it, and even then, a statement of dislike is better.

Also, I don't think LotR is better. LotR is just vastly different. The Hobbit (book) is perfect at what it does:being an enjoyable book I can read aloud to my kid sister without worry of appropriateness, and that I can still greatly enjoy myself. Just because its not LotR doesn't make it worse.

[/rant]

MrZAP, Mar17swgirl and laurethiel1138 like this.
  9. Eeth-my-Koth

May 25, 2001
    Nah, it's and epic fail. Too bad. I had high hopes.

10. Random Comments

Sep 25, 2012
    And you haven't even seen it yet. I'm ashamed of you.

11. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Vin knows things before they happen. Somehow, he's always known.

12. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
    lol

13. Eeth-my-Koth

May 25, 2001
    Sacrificing homeless folk in sacred fires gives me vision.

14. Random Comments

Sep 25, 2012
    Or in other words, we shouldn't listen to you, we should run the other way...

15. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    What are you so shocked about? I'll be very surprised if that review is not correct. Tolkien is praised for his ability to create a coherent mythology out of lot of European folklore. Technically, he was a pretty awful writer. Speaking to the somewhat lager issue of storytelling, please recall that by his own admission, he was well into the "story" before admitting to his editors that he had no idea what it was actually about. One cannot, in such a circumstance, claim that a story is tightly-written or carefully crafted. That is, by definition, the opposite.

I don't know how this movie is going to turn out. Nor do I particularly care. But it's not some unimaginable heresy to suggest that these are badly written stories. Nor does "bad" mean "unenjoyable." It just means. . .not good.

16. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000

17. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    It already has premiered in a few places. :p

I actually prefer Hobbit over Lord of the Rings. LotR is far more epic, but Hobbit is just more enjoyable to me.

18. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    I wondered what was causing that smell. Thanks a bunch.

19. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    If you put together everything ever created by all the people yapping about Tolkien being a bad writer, it wouldn't be worth a single page of the Athrabeth Finrod ah Andreth and that was such a minor work he never even finished it. Anyone who criticizes Tolkien's ability as a writer is only making a point of parading their ignorance around on display. "Technically," as you say, he was a genius.

Rew, RC-1991, Mar17swgirl and 4 others like this.
  20. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    What does that mean? I'm sorry, but I think that a decidedly bad argument. One does not have to be superior at a given skill to earn the right to criticism. One needn't be a world-renowned opera singer--or have any training at all--to recognize that Carl Lewis's rendition of the National Anthem needs work. Nor does one need a Pulitzer Prize that to know that writing over one hundred pages with literally no plot at all leaves something to be desired in the story-telling department.

Or take this another way. Few boxers have or ever will rival Muhammad Ali. Yet, he was well known to have problems with keeping his guard up appropriately. Obama is hailed as a brilliant communicator, but his distance and aloofness is much remarked upon. Even legends who fundamentally change their craft are not demigods. They still have flaws. Why do you all fly into such an indignant rage when someone dares to mention Tolkien's?

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  21. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    Don't look at me. I still haven't read Return of the King.

22. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    because thats what being a nerd is

MrZAP likes this.
  23. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm assuming these people that are saying the movie is bad have built a time machine and have already seen it?! If so that's freakin' cool man. You should, like, tell me what the future is like and stuff.

Random Comments likes this.
  24. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    Critics often get to see movies early.

25. AAAAAH

AAAAAH Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    so it sucks, huh? ok i will not bother to see it.