main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph One Thread To Rule Them All: The Rings of Power + The Hobbit & Lord of the Rings Trilogies

Discussion in 'Community' started by -Courtney-, Nov 25, 2006.

1. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    McCoy for Radagast and Freeman for Bilbo, I say! :D

2. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    That I can get behind.

3. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I would have preferred if Ian Holm would have been Bilbo with cgi to make him look young, but I totally approve of Martin Freeman.

4. -Phoenix-

-Phoenix- Jedi Master star 5

Oct 21, 2005
    If they used CGI to make Ian Holm look young, nerds would complain about how they used too much CGI to make Ian Holm look young.

5. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    Yeah Ian Holm might've been good six years ago, but... I mean it's been a decade since he was Bilbo. A decade.

Isn't that weird?

6. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    Years ago McCoy would have been freaking perfect.

7. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Martin Freeman has always been my first choice. I will be absolutely ecstatic if this does work out. I think he would be brilliant.

8. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    EDIT: lol, wrong Freeman. I need sleep.

9. hudzu

hudzu Force Ghost star 6

Jun 1, 2003
    well, speaking of ian holm.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY IAN HOLM.

10. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    Yeah, Ian shouldn't play Bilbo again. He was indeed fantastic, obviously...but he's nearly 80. Granted, Christopher Lee was around the same age he is now when he was playing Saruman, but Saruman is literally thousands of years old and is SUPPOSED to look ancient. I don't think it would work.

Martin Freeman would be wonderful.

I know Bilbo is obviously the biggest role, but I'm disappointed by lack of information on the dwarves, especially Thorin. I mean, to be truthful, all of the returning cast members, with the exception of McKellen and Serkis, will have relatively minor roles in the films. Galadriel's character will probably still have more screen time that in LotR though, due to her being on the White Council. Elrond's part will probably be smaller.

Obviously it's way early to think about this at all, but I'm also curious about how they're going to deal with the trolls. They established different kinds of trolls in LotR, with the cave troll and the Olog-Hai, but none of them seemed to be as intelligent as the the trio in The Hobbit, who are actually capable of speech. I wonder what it will look like seeing them sitting around and arguing, when we're so used to the simple(r) minded trolls in LotR.

11. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    Well this can't be good...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/film-news/8026955/Boycott-by-actors-union-threatens-filming-of-The-Hobbit.html

Story

12. Nevermind

Nevermind Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 14, 2001
    Shoot elsewhere, then, for God's sake.

13. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Given all the locations in NZ, I don't think Jackson wants to move production to Eastern Europe.

It's all just a bit of posturing at the moment, I'm pretty sure I recall a similar stouch over the non-Union actors in the LOTR films.

14. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Darn, edit time expired above.

Zaz, you really should read this;

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2010/09/26/38803-peter-jackson-takes-the-gloves-off/#more-38803

15. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Wow, he's not sugar coating it. And he's also completely right. As if The Hobbit needed another obstacle...

-sj loves kevin spacey

16. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    Man what a mess. I'd rather they just ditch the Hobbit and do something around the War in the North or even the Silmarillion. The Hobbit is basically a children's book right? So it'll be nothing like LOTR, and if it is, it'll piss off the book fans.

17. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    I'm not sure how that would resolve any of the issues.

18. Jedi_Hood

Jedi_Hood Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 10, 2000
    The Tolkien Estate still controls the movie rights to everything other than The Hobbit and LOTR.....and given Christopher Tolkien's opposition to the movies, that's probably not going to change as long as he's still alive.

19. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    Oh well, they don't seem to have a problem with the games. That'll do me. :D

20. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    Yeah...don't remind me. One of my dreams is to write and get produced a mini-series version of The Silmarillion...I mean, I KNOW this material so well. Certainly better than most, even among the fans. And I already write! If only I could get the opportunity to convince him that I could both write a wonderful series and keep it faithful to the book. I'd even cross-reference with the Histories of Middle Earth and everything! But I don't think I'm going to get the chance anytime soon...if at all.:(

21. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    I hope they listen to him. I think he nailed it.

22. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    It's the closest thing to LOTR, the only difference is that the writing style is toned down. The type of content is the same.

23. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    Well yeah it's part of the overall story of Middle-earth, it'll just be interesting to see the tone of the movie compared to LOTR.

Bones backs unions

24. Im_just_guessing

Im_just_guessing Jedi Knight star 7

Oct 23, 2002
    I wouldn't trust Peter Jackson with any movie after what he did to Return of the King. Please stop him from making this film.

25. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    what did peter jackson do to the movie beside cut an essential confrontation between saruman and the fellowship and refusing to end the movie