main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph One Thread To Rule Them All: The Rings of Power + The Hobbit & Lord of the Rings Trilogies

Discussion in 'Community' started by -Courtney-, Nov 25, 2006.

1. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Attack Of The Green Ectoplasm, I'd imagine... :p

2. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    Fixed

3. Im_just_guessing

Im_just_guessing Jedi Knight star 7

Oct 23, 2002
    At least the Two Towers made since within the context of his adaptation. Mostly.

4. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    WHAT WAS WRONG WITH THE KING'S RETURN

5. Im_just_guessing

Oct 23, 2002
  6. Bacon164

Mar 22, 2005
    Yes, but why. Tell me. I don't want to defend the film. I want to pick your brain. Why did it suck.

Also why do I like using periods in these posts when there is clearly a question. Because I am implementing Beezel's posting style today.

7. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
  8. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Because it had about thirteen separate ending sequences in the last twenty minutes of the movie. At least four of which I actually stood up for. Also, the movie was uninteresting and I fell asleep, though that was a flaw common to this entire series.

9. Bacon164

Mar 22, 2005
    not YOU, wocky!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IJG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. Im_just_guessing

Oct 23, 2002
    It didn't make any sense, it was full of long boring scenes that had no legitimate purpose in the film, Legolas's battle antics escalated above the absurd, the big epic battle that was clearly the climax of the whole trilogy ended with some nonsense deus ex machina, the ridiculous repetitive endings. Man I could rant for hours on how bad that film was, but unfortunately I haven't been able to sit through it for years. Or fortunately I haven't had to.

11. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    I actually liked ROTK but agree with all those call outs. Part of why my jaw dropped when it won Best Picture.

12. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    I'm not sure. I can understand why someone would list those things as negative, but I think the fact that it did all those things is why it was so good. I mean, I'm also factoring the books because it did stick relatively closely to them. The outlandish Legolas stuff and whatnot is because it's....well, fantasy. That stuff is to be expected. But the long dialogue scenes and whatnot, I really really liked that they did that. One of my biggest peeves about films is the pacing, how they always follow this structured form of pacing themselves with dialogue/slow scenes/action scenes. To me, the more drawn out "boring" scenes (they do have to be carefully done still), the more I feel connected to the movie and give a crap about it.

13. Im_just_guessing

Oct 23, 2002
    As far as long drawn out boring scenes with no purpose, I was specifically referencing when whats his face the hobbit was singing to the steward of white castle.

To your other ramblings, ROTK was so far from the book that if I hadn't intentionally left out the things that ticked me off in the movie just because they were different for no reason from the book, I would still be writing that last post. And "it's fantasy" is not an excuse. In fact, that's like the worst justification you could use. That's like saying "Oh a huge gaping plot hole? Relax, its fantasy, we'll just throw a swarm of ghosts in and BAM, no one will notice"

14. Bacon164

Mar 22, 2005
    I would agree that ROTK is easily the silliest of the three thanks to the ghost army. But to Jackson's defense, he didn't like them as a plot device in the first place.

15. Im_just_guessing

Oct 23, 2002
    So Peter Jackson's reaction to a plot device he didn't like was not to remove it entirely, but to instead broaden its impact on the story? This is why I don't think he should be let near movies anymore.

16. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Pippin's song here intercut with the suicide mission is possibly the best scene of the whole film.

On this basis I shall continue to disregard your opinions on movies :)

RotK is the best of the LotR films and that's considering that all of them are great.

-sj loves kevin spacey

17. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
  18. Im_just_guessing

Oct 23, 2002
    I really hope you never make it anywhere with your film career.

19. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
  20. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    I would much rather discuss the Hobbit than this stupid derailed "discussion" about why ROTK sucked.

21. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I like how Karl Urban is all, "Hey PJ thanks for giving me my career. Now **** you!"

-sj loves kevin spacey

22. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Do you feel like a bigger man now for actively wishing someone ill?

23. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    I love all three films, but ultimately I think I like FotR best of all. Everything from the opening through Moria is brilliant. Lothlorien does get a bit slow, but Amon Hed is fantastic.

My only real "gripe" with FotR is the small scale of its climax, but then I remember that it's really not small-scale at all. Too often I forget, having come to take the grandeur of Minas Tirith and Mordor for granted, how awesome those statues on the river were the first time I saw them. Taking the film on its own merits, the finale is perfectly wonderful.

24. Im_just_guessing

Oct 23, 2002
    Should I wish that people with ideas I hate rise to power in an industry that usually makes things I enjoy?

25. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    I liked this thread better when the drama was about whether or not The Hobbit will ever get made.