main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph One Thread To Rule Them All: The Rings of Power + The Hobbit & Lord of the Rings Trilogies

Discussion in 'Community' started by -Courtney-, Nov 25, 2006.

1. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    I always thought the same thing. Also I thought his nostril looked blue-ish too, but bear in mind there isn't much natural light in the caverns of Erebor, and during the opening sequence of the attack on Dale you get a glimpse of his tail which is unmistakably orange/red.

2. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Welcome back Mr Snerd.

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, if you look at that animated GIF of the eye opening, you can see the scales to the right have a blue highlight/reflective quality to them, even though the rest of him is clearly not blue. Presumably the snout we saw caught that same blue light and produced a similar effect.

4. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Ok hopefully I did not miss a post that says it, but what does the book say about Smaug's color?

5. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    i like rankin bass' brown, rodent-like smaug

a unique take i thought

6. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    I did too. It's weird, I haven't seen that movie in like fifteen years and how it looks in general still sticks in my head quite well.

Edit: Not sure about the book, but you do get the general impression that he's literally encrusted in jewels and gold, and not just on his belly, iirc.

Glauruung makes Smaug look like a ninny anyway :p

7. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
  8. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    havent broken down and rewatched the rankin bass hobbit out of nostalgia yet but maybe ill give it a view before or after if i ever get around to seeing the PJ one

if you havent seen it you should also check out rankin bass's flight of dragons. i re-watched that one out of nostalgia a year or so ago and its still awesome

9. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Dude. I love that movie lol. Really liked the non-malevolent dragon notion-not one you get much. Plus the elder dragon was just a badass.

Edit: It was very definitely Tolkien-influenced, though, with the whole anti-technology thing.

10. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    according to wiki it was an amalgam of two non-tolkien books. but who knows if they were influenced (probably)

11. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    I'd say just about everything fantasy-wise published from the 60s on is Tolkien-influenced to some extent.

Adam of Nuchtern and Rogue_Ten like this.
  12. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Well he is called Smaug the Golden, a comment on his own scale color or just his lust for gold? In googling Smaug art he is depicted as red and gold, gold usually being the underbelly. I will say too that much of that art is interesting and good but perhaps not something that would equate to live action film awesome.

13. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    You would be far reaching to authentically describe The Hobbit as "live action film awesome" in any case.

14. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    One more time with the eye.

[​IMG]

"...this better be good..."

1,000 nerd points if you can name the reference of that quote and why it pertains to Smaug's eye.

15. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    When he opened his eye I wanted him to fire lazers out of it.

16. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  17. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Saw it today and I really liked it. 48fps was okay during the slower scenes but when there was a lot of action it looked a little weird and too fast. But it definitely didn't ruin the experience for me.

18. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    The 48FPS gave me a headache to be honest. Maybe it's because I had to constantly struggle to keep the 3D glasses balanced over my own glasses, but it's not an experience I would care to repeat. Some scenes really wowed me, like when the goblins were shooting arrows at Kili during the escape from Goblin Town, or when Gandalf first talked to the moth, or the pulleys of gold during the prologue. But I think 2D is my preferred way to watch movies for now.

19. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    So, does anyone know why Saruman called a Council with Elrond and Galadriel in Rivendell? And why Gandalf wasn't invited? And what could they have been talking about, since it definitely wasn't the Necromancer or Smaug, and Saruman seemed insistent that they shouldn't be taking any action?

20. Bacon164

Mar 22, 2005
    Since Saruman spends most of the scene bitching about Gandalf's scheme with the dwarves, you could argue that he called the meeting after somehow hearing about it. To gossip behind Gandalf's back. Or he magically knew that Gandalf would arrive the day the meeting would be called to order.

21. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    How much of Sauron/The Necromancer do you think we will see in the next two movies? What will he be doing in the next 2 movies if we do see him? When does Sauron sway Saruaman to his side? Maybe we will see that? Anyone else want to see Mordor at least once? I do.

22. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    We'll probably see a bit of him in the next one, since Smaug will be the primary overpowering villain of it. Then the 3rd I'm expecting there will be a lot more of him. Since it has to lead into LOTR. I think timeline wise though, unless they jump around, they shouldn't be showing Saurman siding with him yet. Otherwise it wouldn't be such a GUESS WHAT FOO BOOYAH moment in FOTR.

I actually don't want to see mordor etc. much in this either because I feel like... this is the hobbit. Mordor + co. was LOTR. The hobbit even though relating to those events, was really cut off in the book for a reason. I enjoy the lighthearted burn some people to ash and dance in a pile of gold feeling. It's more wholesome.

23. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Finally saw this today and thought it was excellent. Even after nearly three hours, my 6 year old son didn't want it to stop when we saw Smaug open his eye... haha. We saw it in 2D... I generally agree with those who prefer 2D over 3D.

Bring on the next installment...

24. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Maybe have Saruman go and investigate and they meet or something and have it end with us wondering if Saruman will fall or not. I don't have the books handy with me so I don't know the timeline for everything.
    I'll give you that about Mordor but some Orcs exploring it set up the trouble that is yet to come might work.

25. Bacon164

Mar 22, 2005
    how about we just have an adaptation of The Hobbit?