main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph One Thread To Rule Them All: The Rings of Power + The Hobbit & Lord of the Rings Trilogies

Discussion in 'Community' started by -Courtney-, Nov 25, 2006.

1. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
  2. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    You'd be surprised Mar. When a movie gets released in 3D in the US, it can be hard to find it in 2D.

How is this the greenlight working if MGM is suspending it's deal with Spyglass in order to look at a potentially more attractive deal from Lion's Gate.

3. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Really? That sucks. We don't have that problem here - but that might be because there aren't that many 3D cinemas around... :p

4. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2008
    That's the part I hate most about the 3D Revolution. I don't mind if other people want to see a movie in 3D, but I would like the option to see it in 2D.

5. DarthLowBudget

Jan 17, 2004
    And the other thing that always ticks me off about 3D, is that a 2D image already contains depth information, and stores it more realistically than a stereoscopic one!

6. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
  7. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    And the news are just getting better! :D

Simon Pegg all but confirms Martin Freeman as Bilbo

EDIT: Damn. Apparently he denied it on Twitter:

simonpegg: "Woah, woah, woah I did NOT confirm Martin Freeman was in The Hobbit. As far as I know, talks are ongoing. Hope he is. Great choice."

So it's still not certain... [face_frustrated] :( [face_praying]

8. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I messed up above. I meant to say the Mines of Moria scene in 3D. Truly though at Avatar level 3D quality the entire trilogy of LOTR would have been incredible looking.

3D is not going away. I just read recently that there is a Japanese make of 3D tv that does nto require the glasses. It is only a matter of time before that comes to film.

9. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Things are happening pretty fast on the Hobbit front, so here are the most important pieces of news:

Hobbit to move off-shore (another report on this)

Around 1200 technicians, filmmakers, artists and actors march in protest against the Actor's Equity/MEAA boycott

NZ Council of Trade Unions spokesperson Helen Kelly calls Peter Jackson "a spoilt brat"

Richard Taylor speaks on Hobbit issues

Variety: The Hobbit boycott comes to an end

SAG calls off the boycott

Interview with Peter Jackson

NZ Prime Minister believes the Hobbit still can be salvaged

What happens next: Warner Bros. representatives will be flying down to New Zealand next week to begin preparations for moving the films off-shore, and New Zealand Prime Minister John Key has made it known he is prepared to meet with them.

Let's hope the talks will be successful! [face_praying]

EDIT: Oh, and in other news - according to this spy report, Sylvester McCoy will be Radagast the Brown! :D

10. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
  11. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    He seems to be going through something similar to Lucas in making the sequels in the OT where he just got so fed up with all the BS of the film industry.

edit- Sylvester McCoy anywhere in there would be great.

12. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Martin Freeman is set to star as Bilbo Baggins in Peter Jackson's two-movie adaptation of The Hobbit.

New Line confirmed the Freeman news, rumored for months, and also took steps to clear up other casting rumors by announcing a slew of other names, many of whom will play key roles of as part of the Company of Dwarves.

Richard Armitage, who stars on the U.K. series MI-5 and will appear in Captain America: The First Avenger, is set to play Thorin Oakenshield, the leader of the Company of Dwarves, who set off to reclaim the lost dwarven kingdom under the Lonely Mountain from Smaug, a thieving dragon.

Aidan Turner (Being Human) and Rob Kazinsky (EastEnders) will play Kili and Fili, respectively.

The remaining dwarves will be Graham McTavish (Secretariat, 24) as Dwalin, John Callen as Oin, Stephen Hunter as Bombur, Mark Hadlow as Dori and Peter Hambleton as Gloin.

Other key parts that soon to be cast include a host of human and elf roles -- including Elrond the sage, Beorn and Bard the Bowman -- as well as the voice of the dragon.

Expected to return from the Lord of the Rings films is Ian McKellen as Gandalf and Andy Serkis as Gollum.

The UTA- and Creative Artists Management-repped Freeman is best known to U.S. audiences for his work in the U.K, version of The Office, Love Actually, Hot Fuzz and The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. He also plays John Watson in Sherlock, the BBC's Sherlock Holmes series that debuts stateside next week on PBS.
    Via

Peter Jackson: "Despite the various rumors and speculation surrounding this role, there has only ever been one Bilbo Baggins for us. There are a few times in your career when you come across an actor who you know was born to play a role, but that was the case as soon as I met Martin. He is intelligent, funny, surprising and brave ? exactly like Bilbo, and I feel incredibly proud to be able to announce that he is our Hobbit."

13. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Did I really forget to repost this news from the Amph thread? :oops:

Anyway, it's fantastic news! :D :D :D [face_dancing] [face_dancing] [face_dancing] [face_dancing] [face_dancing]

Also, TORn has a profile page on the new cast (with pictures).

14. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Looks to be a perfect choice.

15. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Best. News. Ever.

-sj loves kevin spacey

16. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    Martin Freeman, Aidan Turner and Richard Armitage are all excellent actors. Really excited about this now.

17. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    A question... it said all the Dwarves were cast, but they don't seem to add up. Aren't there supposed to be 12 dwarves (with Gandalf making the group 13), and then the reason they enlist Bilbo is to break the unlucky 13 curse?

18. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Given that this is the movie version 7 dwarves is probably the way to go. Probably a problem for die hard Tolkien fans, but something that's probably better for the movie. It will be easier for Jackson to persuade people to care about 7 new dwarve characters then he would with 13. Granted the fellowship was 9 characters, but also diverse with humans, a wizard, an eld, hobbits, and one dwarve. All characterized and entertaining in their own way. The Hobbit had 13 dwarves, 1 wizard, and a hobbit. To the casual audience it might as well be 13 Gimli's. One dwarf ok, 13 not ok. I don't mind much, concidering I couldn't keep up with them all anyway, and the way it looks he has included all the key dwarves that were more entertaining in the book.

Anyway, it looks like Jackson is rolling right along. I kinda figured that once he got the green light he start putting things together quickly. I figure he's ready to get this whole thing over with, and not have to hear the word Hobbit again.

19. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Actually, there are 13 dwarves plus a hobbit to break the unlucky number curse. Gandalf is not counted.

And those are not ALL dwarves that were announced as cast. I'm sure the rest will follow soon.

I don't think PJ would change something this important as the number of the dwarves - after all, their number (13) was the reason why Bilbo joined them at all! If there were only 8 dwarves, why would they even need Bilbo to come with them?

Also, the article at the Hollywood Reporter said this: many of whom will play key roles of as part of the Company of Dwarves. Part of the Company, not all of it. ;)

And I'm sure they can make them distinguishable and not look like "13 Gimlis". :p

EDIT: Actually, re-reading the official press release more carefully, it DOES seem that there will only be 8 dwarves... :(
    :( Oh well. I kind of understand the decision, but still... :(

20. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
  21. DarthLowBudget

Jan 17, 2004
  22. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    Radagast wasn't in the Hobbit was he? This much be the additional part of the movie that includes some of the lore at the end of LOTR or Similarian. I don't know.

23. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Yes, they will be including the subplot (from the Unfinished Tales, I think) about the White Council chasing Sauron out of Dol Guldur (that's what Gandalf was doing while he was away).

24. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    It'll be interesting to see if Lee returns then to play Saruman. Then again he's said that although he liked to return he feels the trip to NZ(if actually filmed there) would be to much on him.

But who would replace him? Alan Rickman maybe? Needs someone with a powerful voice. Than again Lee might actually concider doing the role. We shall see.

25. DarthLowBudget

Jan 17, 2004
    Looks like it might be shot in England or eastern Europe, so that might be good for Lee's chances at reprising the role.