main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph One Thread To Rule Them All: The Rings of Power + The Hobbit & Lord of the Rings Trilogies

Discussion in 'Community' started by -Courtney-, Nov 25, 2006.

1. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    QMAOFT

Hahahhaha

2. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    It's just better paced, and at most could use about 10 minutes of cutting, instead of the 45 minutes of cutting each LOTR movie could use. The terribly dull and anvilicious walking that bogged down LOTR was minimized, and when they are walking, it turns into something fun quickly. The quest isn't quite as grand, but the journey itself is more entertaining and full of the fantastical creatures that make up Middle Earth. The incredible lameness of the Hobbits from LOTR is non-existent.

The movie is just consistently less boring, it's just fun fantasy adventure. It's more focused on the wondrous setting of Middle Earth itself, rather than the quest.

Plus

Bilbo >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Frodo, which is a big deal, cuz you know, they're the main protagonists.
    Dwarves >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Marry and Pippin

Not that I don't have criticism for The Hobbit.

The opening narration is just enraging. Why the **** is Bilbo narrating things that are very obviously happening on screen? Shut the **** up already, I don't need you to tell me there's a dragon, there's a ******* dragon on screen right now. Horrible in comparison to the lovely narration by Cate Blanchett/Galadriel in FOTR.

The first half hour or so is pretty tough to get through, but fortunately it's a set up and go situation, once the quest actually starts it's all fun from there.

Darth Ibonek likes this.
  3. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    I missed the live event and am now just looking through all the screencaps on tumblr. Is there a way to watch the full video?

Also Tauriel WTH are you wearing.

4. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    [​IMG]

NYCitygurl likes this.
  5. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    USE YOUR WORDS

6. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Martin Freeman was about the only good part of the movie. Well, and it's to Ian McKellen's credit that he managed to sell the ridiculous "power of love" lines the script gives him during the conversation with Galadriel.

I also liked the cameo by the Ice Age squirrel at the end.

NYCitygurl and Bacon164 like this.
  7. siha

siha Jedi Master star 2

Feb 28, 2013
    I also watched the Hobbit for the first time last night (what a coincidence) and I was also rather disappointed. There were moments that obviously referenced things from the book but without the circumstances which make them significant (i.e. the buttons popping off of Bilbo's jacket). Then there were the whole plot lines that came out of nowhere (Radagast, white orc, etc.). Hey guys, what can we add to The Hobbit to make it stretch to three movies? And then there was the CGI, WTF?

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  8. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Oh yeah, what the hell was up with the CGI? Did they waste the budget on bird poop for Radagast or what?

9. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Shouldn't Thranduil be taller than Thorin? [face_plain]

10. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Yes

11. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    It was unfinished footage (possibly even rehearsal before shooting?).

12. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    I guess he's just standing on a bunch of books ( or maybe another dwarf )...

13. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Has anyone seen the Sneak Peak for Desolation of Smaug?

14. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    [​IMG]

15. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Are we going to see Radagast's sleigh again?

16. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    Watch FOTR and AUJ back to back and tell me that again with a straight face. I'll give you TTT and ROTK, but FOTR is about as lean as it can get, especially compared with this film.

17. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Probably.

18. AAAAAH

AAAAAH Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    [​IMG]

19. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    I just saw this movie tonight. Like LOTR, I found that the arrival and simple presence of the eagles makes EVERYTHING pointless. Why do all that walking in these movies if you have a wizard that can summon giant eagles to FLY you to your destination?!

20. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    They're their own people. O:)

Miana Kenobi likes this.
  21. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Cause the Eagles don't want to be shot down by arrows, this theory has been answered plenty of times

22. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    Oh but it's ok to let hobbits and dwarves get shot at? They're working towards the same goal in lotr. The eagles seem either pointless or selfish given that explanation.

edit:

Plus, as someone who's never read the books, it seems that they come out of nowhere in RotK and The Hobbit. Before their arrival in both movies, they're never mentioned once and then--BAM! We have eagles here to abruptly save the day without any in-film explanation as to why they couldn't have done so much sooner and thereby be the heroes themselves.

NYCitygurl likes this.
  23. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Yeah, all the awesomeness of meeting Gwaihir the lord of the eagles seems to have been cut from the Hobbit. The eagles are very proud and honestly saving middle earth just isn't their job. They were tasked with keeping an eye on Morgoth, just as Gandalf's ultimate task was to defeat Sauron.

Plus Gwaihir just got tired of having to save Gandalf's butt.

Random Comments likes this.
  24. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    It would have been nice if the films could include some backstory about them and their inexplicable ability to save heroes at the end of films and their inability to do anything productive besides that.

25. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    As a New Zealander I take this as a personal attack on my country, my values, and my neutered manhood.

**** you , Dave.

eht13 likes this.