main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph One Thread To Rule Them All: The Rings of Power + The Hobbit & Lord of the Rings Trilogies

Discussion in 'Community' started by -Courtney-, Nov 25, 2006.

1. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    Special light effect, especially to Arwen.

2. laurethiel1138

laurethiel1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 6, 2003
    And Christmas lights mounted on a frame instead of the usual spotlight to give the impression that stars were dancing in Galadriel's eyes...

Cheers,
    Lauré :)

3. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Why can't PJ just release both movies now!

4. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    George Takei posted this gem today. I can't stop laughing.

[​IMG]

5. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    So I know I'm really late to the discussion in this thread. I saw the film at midnight last December but haven't seen it since. I liked it, though I overhyped myself- which I acknowledged as somewhat of an inevitability after waiting since 2006- and I'm honestly still unsure exactly what my lasting impressions of the film are, so I want to see it again sometime soon. I don't want to buy the non EE so I'll probably borrow it from someone.

Anyway, I decided to post about the one big narrative change in the film that really surprised me, and what the Tolkienites here think about it. I am speaking of course about the presence of Azog and his subplot. Considering he's supposed to be dead by this time in canon, it threw me for a loop. I assume he's taking the place of his son Bolg, who leads the goblins at the Battle of Five Armies, so he'll be an antagonist throughout the trilogy. I also hope this means there will be lots of great flashbacks about the War of the Dwarves and Orcs, because I've always really liked the Dwarf section in the Appendices and it would be cool to see more of that onscreen. So I'm taking his presence in stride, and have no complaints about it. I am definitely conflicted about the subplot itself, though. On the one hand it's kind of interesting, but on the other I think it contributes somewhat to the film's pacing issues, aside from being such a huge departure from the books. Dol Goldur, White Council and even Dwarf/Orc war flashbacks all seem fine to me, but this kind of feels like it might be this trilogies Faramir, if you follow me.

I haven't really talked much to other fans of the books about the film, but this is the thing that's stuck in my mind since viewing it the most because it's such a big change. What's your guys' opinion.

Also the CGI wargs looked terrible. TTT wargs looked much more "real" to me. As for HFR it didn't really bother me except in the prologue, though that might have just been the way the shots were set up in general (did the camera seem to move too quickly for you guys during that sequence?).

Acting was good all around though the Dwarves need to be fleshed out more in the next two films as many barely got any dialogue. I know they didn't get much characterization in the books, but that doesn't fly here. I think this is one of those times where PJ should deviate from the books. Armitage also should have looked older. Like, a lot older. His acting was fine; his make-up wasn't.

Hoping against hope that Thranduil makes a Puishing Daisies reference in the next movie. Because Pushing Daisies! Come on PJ; you can think of something. Have Thranduil attend a feast with lots of cheese and pie!

6. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    With the 48 frames....it takes about the prologue length to get used to it...
    I would have liked "older Thorin" designs, but...not my biggest problem with the film.

7. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    IDK, I'm perfectly fine with only Bofur, Dwalin, Balin Fili Kili and Gloin ever speaking. :p

And I can't believe people really expect these films to get EEs. I mean really. TABA will be pretty much nothing but EE. :p

MrZAP likes this.
  8. Random Comments

Sep 25, 2012
    It was announced that there will be EEs...

9. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    :oops:- if that's true, then I'm dumb for not knowing, but also SMH that there will be EEs.

10. Random Comments

Sep 25, 2012
    Maybe a reedit to make it better and more book-faithful? A fixed ending? No, that won't extend it much.

11. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    in fact, it would make it considerably shorter!

12. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    AUJ is already book faithful apart from the subplot :p

13. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    I'm sure the EE's will have all the awesome special features over the regular version. [face_plain]

14. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm sure the EE will be longer than the entire Godfather trilogy.

15. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    I'm pleased to report that I have not purchased the film today. I will wait for the EE/SE. Only another x number of days left to resist... :p

16. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    The EE will more than likely come out during the Christmas holidays so you have a long wait and the Special Edition was released when the movie was released

17. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    I know when the EE is likely to surface. I say SE as a wish more than anything else, because the ideal home release of the film would feature extra material, whilst dropping some of the existing stuff.

Mar17swgirl and Random Comments like this.
  18. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    *reddit

19. Random Comments

Sep 25, 2012
    I meant re-edit.

20. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I'll probably wait for the EE reviews ... though I don't know that longer is necessarily better.

21. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    It isn't, though I do like the LotR EE's over their theatrical counterparts and consider them the canonical versions. When it comes to these EE's I care more about the wonderful feast of special features that will go with them. I watch some of the LotR EE documentaries more than I watch the films themselves, and that's saying something.

22. Random Comments

Sep 25, 2012
    I do that, too....but mostly because my TV is broken, so I can't watch my Bluray EE copies...

23. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I haven't seen the LOTR EEs; I own the originals.

24. Random Comments

Sep 25, 2012
    The EEs are better.

TrandoJedi and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  25. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I want to check them out at some point, but I'm not so interested that I'm willing to pay for them when I already own the regular editions :p