main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph One Thread To Rule Them All: The Rings of Power + The Hobbit & Lord of the Rings Trilogies

Discussion in 'Community' started by -Courtney-, Nov 25, 2006.

1. Lord Ctessor

Lord Ctessor Jedi Youngling

Nov 25, 2013
    Meanie critics are fun when they are talking about a movie you dislike.

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  2. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I love how you're absolute about your opinion being the only one black_sablols.

3. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    What I like is the fake indignation from fake book purists.

4. Lord Ctessor

Lord Ctessor Jedi Youngling

Nov 25, 2013
    Who?

I like the movie by the way.

5. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I did too, but it's not the greatest movie of all time.

That honor goes to Con Air.

6. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    Some people would say the same thing about lord of the rings trilogy because after they where finished people did not care for them as much like 7 or ten years later I would ask " Are you serious?":eek:

As well as the hobbit question too.[/quote]

7. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    Hint of Bree's theme in the opening track of the soundtrack... looks like the filmed flashback to Gandalf and Thorin at Bree might open the film.

8. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    If only for the Steve Buscemi stuff.

Darth_Invidious and dp4m like this.
  9. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    The new 90-second previews of the soundtrack had a glimpse to the Smaug theme in full glory. Great theme, and I'm really waiting to see the current king under the mountain.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  10. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    This score seems much more reminiscent of the old LOTRs than AUJ's. Although I liked AUJ's as well. This one just has that brooding-Ring vibe most of LOTR's had.

And Lake Town's theme is sort of the Rohan of this trilogy. Same type of instruments and everything.

And I'm assuming... Smaug's part is the weird tambourine bit? Or at least somebody's got a weird tambourine theme going on toward the end.

11. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    Are we going to get a full soundtrack streaming thing for a day or two like with AUJ? I don't really want to spoil it with quick previews yet.

12. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    I don't know if it's just me, but I don't think TDOS has really any unique, distinctive, and memorable musical motifs. It might be just the editing of the 90-second samples, but I just didn't hear anything new that would immediately stick with me like, say, the Rohan theme did in TTT. The soundtrack preview definitely sounded like Middle-earth, but it felt very homogenous, mostly atmospheric. I don't know. I'm reserving my final judgement for the film, but I'm not overly impressed by this preview. I think Howard Shore can do better.

That said, neither AUJ had that many new distinctive motifs - there was the Misty Mountains song and its epic orchestral version (which is awesome), there was Gandalf's theme, and there was the dwarves' motif from their party in Bag End. And that's pretty much it...

Bacon164 likes this.
  13. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Wow this movie's coming out in almost two weeks. I need to order my tickets.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  14. Bacon164

Mar 22, 2005
    I find myself wondering if he's invested as much time in these scores as he did LOTR. If I remember correctly, he was involved as early as pre-production and occasionally visited set while working, an unusually long investment for a composer in a project.

15. laurethiel1138

laurethiel1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 6, 2003
    There's also the fact that most of the melodies we hear are reprises from his LOTR work, which isn't a bad thing, considering how PJ is trying to bridge the gap between both trilogies, and that includes the musical atmosphere. For example, I'm sure Shore could have come up with another theme for Elrond's off-screen Moment of Awesome in AUJ, but I thoroughly enjoyed hearing the badass Elven theme from LOTR again. Thing is, it's extremely difficult to strike a balance between revisiting themes and creating new ones where appropriate, and I think he's done a good job so far. In a way, I compare his work to what JW did for SW's PT: there were melodies, like the Force theme, that I expected to hear at some point, and was glad to hear when I did.

Also, while it is true that from our point of view there are melodic lines that seem repetitive, it's also because we see the new films with all the previous soundtracks in mind. I'm sure that, if we were to try to look at it from a fresh perspective, we could manage to be surprised by new interpretations. I remember seeing FOTR well after the LOTR trilogy was completed, and remarking that in the Council of Elrond scene, when Boromir spoke, one could hear the faintest echo of the Gondor theme, and I marveled at how Shore was able to think so far in advance.

We don't have the full picture yet, and I have to trust that, when all is said and done, we will find subtle inferences (including call-backs and call-forwards) which will link all the films and trilogies together. Some things we heard in AUJ may not get their fullest development until TABA, and clues placed in LOTR may yet find meaningful echoes in The Hobbit. I guess we'll see how this expectation holds up.

Oh, and I have a hunch the previews were only that: fragments to whet our appetite. I'm sure they held back some of the most representative themes from the movie, just as they didn't show us any Smaug poster. Some surprises must be kept for the big screen, after all...

Lauré :)

16. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Personally, I'd rather the movie consist of rap music and kazoos.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  17. Bacon164

Mar 22, 2005
    Only problem - people were able to identify the Gondor theme as early as FOTR because it was so pronounced and identifiable. These weren't things you could only infer from the completed work. So far Shore seems to be less interested in leitmotifs as a whole, perhaps in order to further pronounce his musical themes as this trilogy builds into the leitmotif heavy LOTR.

18. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
  19. laurethiel1138

laurethiel1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 6, 2003
    More articles, most of them from TOR.net:

Character posters in HD:
    http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2013/11/24/83174-see-the-desolation-of-smaug-character-posters-in-high-resolution/
    A few spoilery insights about the Dwarves in TDOS:
    http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2013/11/23/83077-there-and-then-what-the-dwarves-development-in-the-desolation-of-smaug/
    A review of Howard Shore's soundtrack for this newest Middle-Earth offering:
    http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2013/11/25/83271-first-review-howard-shores-soundtrack-for-the-hobbit-the-desolation-of-smaug/
    A lengthy essay on the potential of JRRT's story-telling in The Hobbit movies:
    http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2013/11/25/83263-the-potential-of-jrr-tolkiens-story-telling-in-the-hobbit-movies/
    Richard Armitage talking of Thorin in this in-depth and articulate interview:
    http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2013/11/25/83283-shakespeare-performance-capture-and-getting-back-on-stage-richard-armitage-talks-to-theonering-net/
    And a link to scans of a special feature in SciFi Now:
    http://thorinoakenshield.net/2013/11/20/hobbit-desolation-of-smaug-article-in-scifinow/

Frankly, I'd like to sit down and have a pint or two with Richard Armitage while we discuss all things Thorin and Middle-Earth. The man seems to have some pretty interesting ideas about Tolkien, and I wouldn't mind hearing some of them beyond the obligatory promotional commitment to the present film trilogy.

Also: Yay for more re-shoots next year (if indeed there are any)!

Lauré :)

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  20. vinsanity

vinsanity Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2013
    [​IMG]

Plane that will take PJ and Co. to the premiere in LA that will be tomorrow, and also here's the timelapse of "painting" Smaug in the plane

21. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    Those RGBW moving heads on the floor...I test and ship those for a living. The 16 lights in the foreground alone are worth about $14,000. Looks like some flat-pars and wash fixtures in the back. Nice!

22. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    It's risky, making Smaug a plane with a painted dragon on it for TDOS. I hope it works out for the movie, but I'm a bit doubtful.

23. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    161 minutes?! That's terrible! This movie will be too short and won't have enough pointless walking sequences. I'm not gonna see it anymore!

24. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    I just hope they improve the design from what was shown in AUJ. This looked absolutely terrible.
    [​IMG]

25. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    It just won't be as realistic as this other design sadly:

[​IMG]

Jedi Merkurian likes this.