main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph One Thread To Rule Them All: The Rings of Power + The Hobbit & Lord of the Rings Trilogies

Discussion in 'Community' started by -Courtney-, Nov 25, 2006.

1. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I still haven't seen Smaug. My interest went to zero after the first one blew. I'm happier not having them in my mind next time I read the book.

2. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I hope this is as good as Matrix Revolutions!!!!!!!:)

3. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    ROTK was better than TTT, for me, mostly because of what I said before about how nothing very noteworthy really happens in TTT. If one were to go from the end of FOTR to the beginning of ROTK, it would actually be a pretty smooth transition. In ROTK, the main issues for me were a general sense of overkill in the battles (especially things like the oliphaunts and the army of the dead) and how the movie takes a very long time to end. FOTR doesn't have those types of issues, which is why I agreed with earlier statements that it was probably the best of the trilogy.

Note: I'm not sure, but I think these points may hold true for the novels, too (in which case they're not just criticisms of the movies)... I've only read parts of the novels and it's been a long time.

4. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    IMO the Hobbit movies are better than the book.

The book is fun though.

5. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
  6. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Fellowship was probably the best, Two Towers was ok up until the Elf army showed up (really?), RotK had quite a few good moments but also the endings just dragged on and on. With all that, I do wish they had shown Saruman in the Shire (yes, I know there's an extended scene that shows Saruman's death in the movies, but in the book I just love how Frodo, after everything he's been through, still shows mercy even to someone like Saruman).

I dread how the Battle of Five Armies will turn out. It should be epic, but I expect 70% of it will be the Elves, mainly Legolas and what's her name, Tauriel, probably some last looks between Tauriel and that dwarf (Kili? Fili? I forget which one had that boring romance), maybe 2 minutes of Thorin fighting (since he's had such a good record in these movies, being beaten up by that orc in the first Hobbit movie, then spending the finale of the second Hobbit movie running from a dragon that should kill them in seconds :rolleyes: ), Elvish archers,10 minutes of Bard arguing with the Master about the logical course of action, Elven king probably being mean to everyone and probably not bothering to stop and help Laketown, Gandalf calling the eagles somehow, and intermixed will be at least 15 minutes of foreshadowing about Sauron, Saruman and oh yeah, did I mention Elves? :p

I half expect Bilbo will jump into the fighting somehow, will be tempted by the Ring, will try to fight something, get knocked unconscious and then the Ring will slip on his finger "accidentally" leading to him missing the rest of the battle. Well, for most of the movie Bilbo will probably be busy being tempted by the Ring and the Arkenstone. I think Desolation turned the Arkenstone into some sort of super tempting object? I was checking my watch a lot during the time when Bilbo was sliding on all the gold coins.

7. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Bilbo is affected by the Ring, but I don't think the Arkenstone affected him (I don't think it was intended to be a "super tempting object" like the Ring). Obviously Thorin really really wants it because he thinks it will help legitimize his rule. At any rate, a lot of those predictions above about the possible breakdown of TBOTFA are probably pretty accurate.

8. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Wasn't that already covered by AUJ?

There was only one ending... it was the same as the one in the book. They even used the same dialogue...

9. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Sauron is going to kick so much ass at TBOTFA.

10. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    By proxy.

11. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012

Not according to some people here :p

12. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Not to beat a dead horse, but I was thinking a bit more about this after writing that post. From a certain point of view, it's kind of odd to even weigh the merits or flaws of the three movies against each other, for the purposes of saying which is best, etc... since they really are three parts of one long film (just as the books are really three volumes of one long novel). Anyway, just wanted to throw that out there as a follow-up. :)

13. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I'm sure I ranked these before but what the hell.

1. TTT
    2. Fellowship
    3. The Hobbit
    4. ROTK
    5. Smaug

My favorite scene is the Balrog scene in Fellowship. I would love to have seen that at 48 fps.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  14. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Mine would be

1. ROTK
    2. FOTR
    3. TTT
    4. TDOS
    5. AUJ

The Battle of the Five Armies could overtake TDOS for 4th place.

15. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    I would rank them as

1 Two Towers
    2 Desolation of Smaug
    3 Fellowship of the Ring
    4 Return of the King
    5 An Unexpected Journey

I think all of them are great though.

16. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003

OneRing.net had a nostalgiafest last week, posting some of the old trailers. The very first Fellowship teaser trailer reminds me of what you just said -- I had completely forgotten it had scenes from the other films:

Juke Skywalker and EHT like this.
  17. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    In that case, the first act of the film was very enjoyable, the second was dull, and the third act was terrible. It's a 1.5 star movie.

Jabbadabbado likes this.
  18. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I completely understand pre-judging a film. But to have a suspicion is where it will is absolutely ridiculous.

19. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    If you guys don't think this scene is awesome then you have serious issues :p

Sarge, timmoishere and Force Smuggler like this.
  20. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    Exactly.

21. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    That scene is awesome!

Legolas Skywalker likes this.
  22. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Undoubtedly. But I think ROTK suffers from some serious editing issues, made all the more glaring by it's EE.

My ranking:

-3 to - 1: this whole Hobbit disaster.
    1) FOTR
    2) TTT
    3) ROTK

23. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    1) ROTK
    2) FOTR
    3) TDOS
    4) TTT
    5) AUJ

Legolas Skywalker likes this.
  24. vinsanity

vinsanity Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2013
    [​IMG]

Official Comic-Con poster

25. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    That honestly should have been part of the last movie.