main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph One Thread To Rule Them All: The Rings of Power + The Hobbit & Lord of the Rings Trilogies

Discussion in 'Community' started by -Courtney-, Nov 25, 2006.

1. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    The person in question has made it apparent that they haven't read the works in question.
    Otherwise, they'd have been talking about, say Narn I Chin Hurin. Or individual sections of Silmarillion or something.

Imperial 1138 likes this.
  2. B3

B3 Chosen One star 6

Jan 21, 2014
    I can't wait to see the Athrabeth Finrod ah Andreth on the big screen.

3. Random Comments

Sep 25, 2012
    Honestly, I'd probably still go see it. :p

4. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    Its material could be used for movies or TV series.

5. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000

I reeeeeally have to disagree there. It's painfully obvious that moment wasn't meant to be a cliffhanger- it lacks any sense of denouement/easing into the cliffhanger (which the other 3 non-concluding films achieved).

I think it hurts the film more than anything else as the film is building up to the Smaug showdown- and instead of that payoff we basically get the (presumably) added filler chase through the mountain that pads out the finale so that the payoff could be pushed into the beginning of the third film/so the third film could open with an action sequence unrelated to the rest of that particular film.

I would have thought dealing with the aftermath of Smaug's attack would have made for a much better starting point for the third film- something more in line with the pick-up points of TTT & ROTK.

Hell- they could have easily had their cake and eaten it too if they had just divided up the Smaug attack POVs and let the main one play out as Desolation's finale and save a shorter alt-POV flashback to open Battle with, aka Gandalf vs Balrog in TTT or (to a lesser extent) Gollum's origin in ROTK.

6. B3

B3 Chosen One star 6

Jan 21, 2014
    Yeah. The Lhammas might be good, or maybe the part where Aragorn is a hobbit with wooden shoes over his severely burned feet.

Sarge and Random Comments like this.
  7. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012

I totally agree it has no easing down from the cliffhanger into the credits but that's precisely why I like it. Fellowship, Two Towers & Journey all end in what I like to call "clffhanger-ish" positions kind of like Empire or hell even Back to the Future II. The movie's story ends and there's a comedown to the final shot. But the "Desolation" ending I like, hacked off and manufactured it may be, precisely because it goes for the cut to black abruptness of it. It's like the ending of a "24" episode. Does something different. not to say it's better than how Jackson's other movies ended but I get a kick outta it. Sometimes one can go cliffhanger literally as the car is going off the cliff.

ChefCurryWindu and Sarge like this.
  8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I think medium is a factor. Abrupt 24 cliffhangers work for one hour tv shows whose next episode is a week away, but for a 3 hour film whose next installment is a year away, I don't think it works so well- especially since it sticks out compared to the style of the other cliffhangers within the series.

9. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    So, how does Alfrid finally die in the EE?

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Speaking of EEs- I forget, are there deleted scenes on the sets not reintegrated into the films?

11. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    There's quite a bit of material in the BOTFA appendices, spread throughout the documentaries. I incorporated a scene with Bilbo and Bard in Dale during the battle, when Bilbo buries the acorn after he becomes convinced he won't live to see it planted in the Shire.

12. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I really liked the "I am fire... I am death." finale scene too. :D

13. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012

In a troll's mouth

14. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Considering how painful it was to suffer him every time he popped up, that's too kind a fate.

15. ChefCurryWindu

ChefCurryWindu Jedi Master star 2

Dec 18, 2015
    What are your guys favorite scenes from the LOTR trilogy? This one here, the charge of the Rohirrim at the Pelennor Fields, is just so damn epic! The music, the emotion, and just the epic scale of the scene makes it one of my all time favorite scenes.

16. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014

Nope

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I'd have to rewatch the film but from what I remember in theaters, he alternated between annoying and amusing, even if he was clearly a cartoon coward. I recall the dress thing getting laughs from the audience.

Darkslayer likes this.
  18. Random Comments

Sep 25, 2012
    I don't think he ever approached anything I would call amusing. He just filled up time that they could have used to, say, actually include the ending of the story in the film- even the extended edition doesn't tell who becomes King Under the Mountain, or show Thorin's tomb, and the films played up the "reclaiming their homeland" far more than the book prior to that. And after all of that, his plot doesn't even go anywhere in the theatrical version, (though I'd question whether being eaten qualifies as going anywhere), nor does Tauriel's in either version.

19. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I liked the Tauriel subplot, even if it could have been cut I'm glad it wasn't.

Alfrid was just a horrible waste of time. The Jar Jar Binks of the Hobbit trilogy.

20. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014

That's an insult to Jar Jar. He actually contributed to the prequels in two significant ways.

21. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Isn't Dain shown with a crown as the new king in the EE?

Darkslayer and Bacon164 like this.
  22. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
  23. Random Comments

Sep 25, 2012
    Just to make sure I was clear, the specific thing I was complaining about is that after inserting the character and making a big deal about her in the two films, she doesn't really go anywhere or get resolution. She just disappears...

Imperial 1138 likes this.
  24. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I suppose PJ will make a special edition where he digitally splices her into every scene.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  25. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    That scene still gives me chills, in a good way!

There's also the Gandalf/Balrog scene.

But I really like what the beginning of TTT adds to it...

Then there's Eowyn and the Witch-King, followed by Théoden's death:

And of course the Battle of Black Gate with Gollum's sneak attack on Mount Doom, everyone just loses their minds and it all goes to hell, and then they're saved by a miracle.

I could keep going...

Tolkien also described huge battles in the North during the War, the books/movies just focused on the South.

PJ could always make a side-quel :p