main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph One Thread To Rule Them All: The Rings of Power + The Hobbit & Lord of the Rings Trilogies

Discussion in 'Community' started by -Courtney-, Nov 25, 2006.

1. ChefCurryWindu

ChefCurryWindu Jedi Master star 2

Dec 18, 2015
    In regards to the Witch King, one Middle Earth film I'd wish to be made would deal with Angmar's destruction at the hand of the Gondorian-Arnorian-Elven Alliance led by King Earnur and Cirdan. It'd be sick to see the huge battle fought at Fornost that led to the Witch King fleeing Eriador for over a millenium, and his role in ending the line of Anarion. We'd get to see the Witch King leading another army, and the army of Gondor at it's peak led by Earnur who was said to resemble Boromir as a Warrior.

Sarge likes this.
  2. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    ^ Also, we could hear the prophecy of Glorfindel that no man may kill the witch king.
    But in the movie, that line would probably be switched to Arwen. :rolleyes:

3. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  4. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016

To be honest, that's one of the changes to Fellowship I think was somewhat warranted. I mean, if Glorfindel was included, things would have gotten pretty crazy in the film as far as story goes.

EDIT: What's everyone's opinion in regards to making a cinematic adaptation of The Silmarillion? Personally, I don't think it would work all that well. The task would be damn near insurmountable.

Sarge likes this.
  5. True Sith

True Sith Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2015
    I don't think a movie of The Silmarillion would work either, particularly since it's more of a collection of stories than one defined narrative. TV would be the best format for it, though it'd have to be pretty high-budget to do it any justice.

6. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I think the Silmarillion would have to be a whole series of movies. Some chapters would work well as films, such as Turin, or Beren And Luthien.

ChefCurryWindu and Ghost like this.
  7. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016

Adapting Children of Hurin would be a good idea.

Revyl Ren likes this.
  8. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    The Silmarillion could be made as a TV series, with a Game of Thrones-like budget. That would be awesome to see.

Ghost likes this.
  9. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    What really makes the entire sequence so great for me is that sure, Eowyn can kill the Witch-King, but he takes some killing! Initially he comes in like a cat to a mouse knowing he can play around with ease. After Eowyn drops the bomb, he decides to stop messing around. It still takes both Eowyn and Merry to kill him and even then he would have taken them both with him, via the wounds dealt, if not for Aragorn healing them both later. So, they win, but greivously injured and their weapons destroyed in the act of slaying the bastard.

Revyl Ren, PCCViking and EHT like this.
  10. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    So I was thinking about this again after recently re-watching all three Hobbit movies on TV. While they do have some good stuff in them, as I said there, they are not as close to the level of LOTR as I'd been thinking. I also recently made up for a dumb earlier sale by repurchasing LOTR on Blu-ray (but still only Theatrical, which I still prefer over the EEs). This set is great for anyone who wants an inexpensive option for getting the Theatrical versions of the trilogy on Blu-ray in one slim case:

[​IMG]

So that's good for me, but that's all I have... no EEs, no Hobbit Blu-ray/DVDs, and none of the books. Just curious... what formats and versions do others here have in their collections when it comes to the Middle-earth stuff?

Juke Skywalker likes this.
  11. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    -LOTR Theatrical DVD boxset.
    -HAUJ EE Blu Ray
    -HDOS EE Blu Ray
    -HBOT5A theatrical Blu Ray (just couldn't wait!)

I want the EE LOTR blu rays and the EE Hobbit BOT5A but just haven't got around to it, will probably wait for a sale on Amazon.

There is a new ultimate box set coming with everything included, most of the Internet has gone a bit crazy over it. What you get for the asking price.

Juke Skywalker and EHT like this.
  12. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I got the EE DVDs as they came out. That's all I want.

Bookwise, I have leatherbound LotR and Hobbit, plus hardcovers of the Sil and Fonstadt's Atlas, and several of JRRT's other books in paperback.

13. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    I picked up that BluRay 3-pack at Wal-Mart last year for $6-7 when they had their black Friday sale. Agreed EHT, nice, slim and inexpensive all-in-one set for those just wanting the movies in hi-def. I already had the individual releases (with their bonus features) on DVD, as well as FOTR and TTT EE boxsets (and their awesome bonus features) on standard DVD. Like Darthmaul208, I'd love to have the EE on BluRay some day. It's one of those instances where I absolutely love all the additional footage and find it enhances the experience. I particularly love the extended gift giving/departure from Lothlorien in FOTR.

EHT and Darthmaul208 like this.
  14. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Still find it hilarious that the extended edition of the third part of a trilogy based on a short children's novel is rated R.

15. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I have the theatrical cuts on DVD (but lol like I care about DVDs these days), the EEs on Blu-ray (I picked up the box set second hand for, like, $35 or something, they'd be totally worth it even at full price since they're exactly the kind of films that justify a nice 1080p setup and the transfer is great), and the Hobbit EEs on Blu-ray.

I'd like to get the theatrical cuts on Blu-ray at some point just in case I ever feel the need for a quick(er) hit, but it's a pretty low priority for me as I like the EEs better.

EHT likes this.
  16. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Yeah, it does still seem weird. Also the very vague reason given for the R-rating: "Some violence". OK.

17. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Pretty sure it's the multitudinous decapitations played for comedy.

18. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Original LOTR EE DVDs, here. No need to upgrade for the moment. And I wouldn't buy any of the Hobbit sets even if they were a penny each.

Revyl Ren and Juke Skywalker like this.
  19. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014

I think the main reason is that you see blood as some orcs get their heads chopped off during the battle. While we've seen orcs decapitated in LOTR, we didn't see any blood either.

EHT likes this.
  20. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Yes, I think the blood and increased violence was the reason... but the reason given for the new rating is so vague as to leave people wondering what changed if they haven't seen it yet. And I don't really know why they bothered adding stuff to aim for that rating anyway.

21. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Indeed, we have LotR EE DVDs, and RotK DVD because we couldn't wait for the EE, but not The Hobbit.

22. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I have AUJ on DVD, but I'll get the other two eventually, mostly just to complete the collection.

23. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I have TTT EE, ROTK DVD and TBOTFA DVD.

24. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Theatrical LOTR on DVD and EE LOTR on Blu-Ray.

25. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    I have the the standard DVDs for the Hobbit trilogy and the DVD boxset of the LOTR trilogy. I also have The Hobbit and LOTR books on Kindle.

26. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i have the books plus the silmarillion, unfinished tales, most of the other middle earth companion pieces. i got rid of all of my films on physical formats a couple years ago though.