main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph One Thread To Rule Them All: The Rings of Power + The Hobbit & Lord of the Rings Trilogies

Discussion in 'Community' started by -Courtney-, Nov 25, 2006.

1. ChefCurryWindu

ChefCurryWindu Jedi Master star 2

Dec 18, 2015
    Another additional epic scene-Fingolfin vs Morgoth.

Sarge likes this.
  2. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    I'd love to see Glaurung's destruction of Nagothrond, and the final battle with Turin in the canyon.

3. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    Fingolfin: a warrior so badass that he lamed a god. As far as Tolkien's mythos goes, that's no small feat.

4. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Merry vs. Pippin :p

Darth Basin likes this.
  5. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    If anything, it'll be a competition of "Who'll smoke all the Ol' Toby first?"

Darth Basin and EHT like this.
  6. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Or this:

7. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    A song and drink contest sounds like a good one for those two hobbits. Winner gets second breakfast.

8. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    Loser cleans up the outhouse. Which after all the many meals looks like Orodruin after Gollum and the One Ring went for a swim.

9. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
  10. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    I love the image of Queen Beruthiel. That's a pretty damn obscure reference.

11. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    [​IMG]

^ Favorite visual representation of this duel for me

12. duende

duende Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 28, 2006
    you know, i've been thinking about pete jackson making the simarmalon and if the hoobit movies represent a 4:1 ratio of boredom to interest in terms of pate jackson's enthusiasm toward the project, simarlon will probably be 8:1 or even higher. in other words, we will probably see more barrels ping-ponging across the screen, more ho-hum whatever scenes, and much more of a "don't give a f" attitude overall. so maybe simarlamaon should stay in the token archives.

13. ChefCurryWindu

ChefCurryWindu Jedi Master star 2

Dec 18, 2015
    I also like this visual [​IMG]

Another epic scene that popped up in my mind- Hurins last Stand before he gets captured

[​IMG]

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Iron_lord and Sarge like this.
  14. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    I wish Gil-galad's death was actually shown in the Fellowship of the Ring movie.

[​IMG]
    By the way, I sort of wish this was Sauron's look in the movies but the film version is still OK.

15. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    Those images are just too good.

The best thing about The Sil is the images it creates, for all of us have a different visualisation of those "iconic"/legendary moments. That's Tolkien's greatest ability. Nothing comes close to the sheer imagination is stirs in all of us and the richness of every location and event.

Since I read the book I've wanted a film/tv series but I still am mixed about it- it loses that quality that makes it so good. It's rewarding in a way that a TV show or film just cannot reach.
    Even with the best people working on it for the right reasons it will still turn shallow compared to the book. BSG/Game of Thrones etc. all had problems so for The Sil it's just not possible to create it perfectly even with the best of intentions.

Should that stop them trying? I don't think so but for the people who do pick up the book and for those that actually finish it, they are rewarded with an experience that just cannot be beaten by any other TV show or Movie (Yes SW included).

Tolkien Succeeded.

16. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Here's a weird little illustrated family tree, of the ancestry of Aragorn/Arwen:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I know there's 64 generations, I know it's intentionally rooted in medieval marriage practices and mythology, but I will never be able to look at those closed loops without thinking "NO DON'T YOU ****ED UP"

18. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Just looking back on some of these discussions and some things in here like those illustrated family trees posted above... this is me sometimes in this thread:

[​IMG]

:p

19. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    I think this describes Ramza best reading those:

[​IMG]

20. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Some of those look like errors.

Nimloth is not Celeborn's daughter, but his niece, and Celeborn is not Thingol's son, but his grand-nephew.

House of Elmo

While Tolkien was thinking of making Gil-galad Orodreth's son - this would have been problematic for a lot of previously established information - so, at least as of The Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales, he's Fingon's son:

http://lotr.wikia.com/wiki/Gil-galad

Which is not to say that there wasn't a certain amount of inbreeding - but a point was specifically made in the case of Maeglin and Idril, that his hope of marrying her was doomed because Elves do not marry their first cousins:

http://lotr.wikia.com/wiki/Maeglin

Same's true of Numenoreans - a point was made of how Numenorean law doesn't permit marriages between people who are closer than 2nd cousins, and how Ar-Pharazon broke this law in marrying his first cousin Miriel.

21. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    That line is not of parent/offspring, I just took it to mean they're just "of kin" (related in some way).

Another tree I found:
    [​IMG]

22. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Mr. Jackson said in an interview that Robocop will be the hero in his planned Silmarrilion quadrology.

23. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Fair enough. Since in some cases the diagonal line shows parent-offspring (Earwen is Olwe's daughter, Legolas is Thranduil's son) I thought intent was that it applied in all cases, but apparently not.
    They seem to be based on what Tolkien was thinking of doing, rather than what actually made it into the Silmarillion. I recall in Unfinished Tales a point being mad that Tolkien was planning on making Orodreth Finrod's nephew rather than younger brother - but they couldn't put that in because it messed a bit with the established story.

Apparently he said later in the History of Middle Earth books that this was a bad call and they should have kept Tolkien's "son of Angrod" change, regardless:

http://lotr.wikia.com/wiki/Fingon

but there's a lot of debate over whether that's "canon" or not - looks like SW isn't the only setting with big canon debates :D

24. laurethiel1138

laurethiel1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 6, 2003
    Chancellor_Ewok and Sarge like this.
  25. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004