main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph One Thread To Rule Them All: The Rings of Power + The Hobbit & Lord of the Rings Trilogies

Discussion in 'Community' started by -Courtney-, Nov 25, 2006.

1. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    What do some cities have in common with Middle Earth? They both have a problem with smog/Smaug. :p

2. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Also, weirdly, they tend to be governed by a bit part overly expanded to accommodate beloved comedian and character actor Stephen Fry.

3. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Well tbh, Stephen Fry would make an amazing governor of anything.

4. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I've noticed TNT and TBS showing these movies pretty regularly, and it suddenly hit me: they're both owned by Time Warner, who also owns Warner Bros, who in turn owns New Line, who owns and co-produced the LOTR and Hobbit movies. At any rate, I again sold my LOTR Blu-rays (the set that I mentioned re-purchasing earlier in this thread when we were discussing which formats everyone has).

5. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    VadersLaMent, TX-20, Sarge and 2 others like this.
  6. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    They didn't interview Liv Tyler, wow.

7. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    They had the nine actors who played the members of the Fellowship interview each other. Her character was not one of those nine.

TX-20 and Ghost like this.
  8. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  9. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    I love that Viggo is so into it.

TX-20 likes this.
  10. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    TX-20 likes this.
  11. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Fry 2020?

12. laurethiel1138

laurethiel1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 6, 2003
    Viggo's a bit of a nutcase when it comes to his roles. Not quite Method... but almost.

Sarge likes this.
  13. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Wasn't Viggo arrested for walking down the street swinging his sword as he was rehearsing moves for a fight scene?

SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  14. laurethiel1138

laurethiel1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 6, 2003
    I seem to recall hearing about such an incident. My memory is a little hazy on the details, but you've got the gist of it.

15. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015

What he said was that he was rehearsing the scene in his mind, and someone called the Wellington cops or something. Ever the modest gentleman, he described himself as though he had the appearance of a "Rasputin character" whilst swinging a sword. Understandably, someone would have been confused. I don't think he was arrested. They probably just asked him what he was doing, and he said he was working on a film.

Sarge likes this.
  16. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Never heard of this book before... totally unofficial, but interesting premise:

The Last Ringbearer (Russian: Последний кольценосец) is a 1999 fantasy book by Russian author Kirill Eskov. It is an alternative account of, and an informal sequel to, the events of J.R.R. Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings.​

The novel is based on the premise that the Tolkien account is a "history written by the victors". In Eskov's version of the story, Mordor is described as a peaceful country on the verge of an industrial revolution, that is a threat to the war-mongering and imperialistic faction represented by Gandalf (whose attitude has been described by Saruman as "crafting the Final Solution to the Mordorian problem") and the elves. For example, Barad-dûr, Sauron's citadel, is described in chapter 2 as​

"...that amazing city of alchemists and poets, mechanics and astronomers, philosophers and physicians, the heart of the only civilization in Middle-earth to bet on rational knowledge and bravely pitch its barely adolescent technology against ancient magic. The shining tower of the Barad-dûr citadel rose over the plains of Mordor almost as high as Orodruin like a monument to Man – free Man who had politely but firmly declined the guardianship of the Dwellers on High and started living by his own reason. It was a challenge to the bone-headed aggressive West, which was still picking lice in its log ‘castles’ to the monotonous chanting of scalds extolling the wonders of never-existing Númenor."

The tale begins by recapping the War of the Ring. The Ring itself is a luxurious ornament, but powerless, crafted by the Nazgûl (a group of ancient scientists and philosophers who take turns as the Nine to guide Mordor through its industrialization) to distract Gandalf and the Elves while Mordor built up its army. Aragorn is portrayed as a puppet of the elves who has been instructed to usurp the throne of Gondor by murdering Boromir (who he had discovered alone after Merry and Pippin were captured) before Gandalf removes Denethor. Arwen, being 3000 years older, holds Aragorn in contempt but uses their marriage to cement Elvish rule over Gondor. Faramir has been exiled to Ithilien where he is kept under guard with Éowyn. The Elves have also corrupted the youth of Umbar, which they aim to use as a foothold into Harad and Khand.​

After defeating the Mordorian army, the Elves enter Mordor to massacre civilians with the help of Men from the East, supposedly to eliminate the "educated" classes. Two Orc soldiers ("Orc" being a slur used by the West against foreign men), Haladdin and Tzerlag, are fleeing the battle plain...​

Rew likes this.
  17. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Kind of reminds me of the whole "the Rebels were terrorists, and the Empire simply wanted to bring peace and order to the galaxy" arguments. ;)

Sarge, Rew and Ghost like this.
  18. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Well, that isn't something you see everyday, a Tolkien's Legendarium "EU" book.

19. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    There's actually a few, including one set 300 years later regarding the Easterlings trying to reforge the Nazgul Rings, with the heroes being a descendant of Merry and his two Dwarf friends.

But they're not really "EU", they're glorified published fanfiction.

It would be interesting to see a version where they use this version of Mordor/ "the villains", but the traditional version of "the heroes," to do a true "heroes on both sides, everyone is just misunderstood and paranoid" story. Totally against Tolkien's vision, but it would be interesting to see some quality fanfiction on that.

20. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Glorified published fanfiction indeed, hence the "EU".

21. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    While there is probably a joke-based through line from "EU" or "fan fiction" to "parody" I'd put The Last Ringbearer strictly in the latter camp.

22. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Ah, have you read it?

23. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Eh, a bit of it, there are translations floating around. It's not really played for laughs but it's a close analog of Don Quixote in the sense of displaying familiarity with the source material being critiqued while clearly disapproving of it. In addition, it's also arguably making a point about the importance alternative perspectives play in revisionist history since it's presenting itself as the records of an orc, whereas we read the records of some hobbits by way of some elves.

Sarge and Ghost like this.
  24. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    To any fans of the soundtrack, I did a rescore of the Knife in the Dark scene from Fellowship, featuring the original music for the scene:

25. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    What about the copyright? I don't think Tolkien family would allow such a book to be published?