main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph One Thread To Rule Them All: The Rings of Power + The Hobbit & Lord of the Rings Trilogies

Discussion in 'Community' started by -Courtney-, Nov 25, 2006.

1. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Maybe he exploded, maybe the peak-to-peak distance is actually really lame and he just smooshed them a little, maybe he sprayed his canonically really hot fire all over the place in his death throes and melted them, maybe he actually was huge and crushed them (in which case lol being as big as three mountains and getting owned by a sailor in a magic flying boat), maybe Tolkien deliberately exaggerated every detail in the Silmarillion for the purposes of conveying a legendary scope and by playing into excessive literalism we have become trapped in a box of our own construction. I see no particular reason to assume a fixed scale the way your original image implied existed.

2. Master Vo

Master Vo Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2017
    I found some Sightly Different Size Scales, Maybe this could give us a better Perspective on Ancalagon's Size.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Darkslayer likes this.
  3. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Yeah, that second image above is the one I referred to earlier... and then all the "dragon size" discussion really got going. :p

How recent was this? My impression was that nothing very substantive about this has really been said by anyone, including Jackson; that a lot of it was just kind of baseless theorizing by sites, basically.

Master Vo'Un'Var likes this.
  4. Master Vo

Master Vo Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2017
    It was about, 2-3 years ago, After BOTFA came out. He said he wouldn't do it right now, But after a while he might.

5. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Oh OK, thanks.

Master Vo'Un'Var likes this.
  6. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    See, that first one's a little more reasonable, but I also think that trying to pin it all down is a bit misguided.

If I may wax a bit more metatextual than my initial objection, there's kind of a weird habit in the fandom with regard to stuff in The Silmarillion to portray it as more awesome, more ominous, more high-stakes than anything in LotR. While that's partially encouraged by the text (although there's that risk that, since Tolkien explicitly framed The Silmarillion as being a received text rather than intrinsically reliable accounts, it's potentially misguided to take everything literally), said text portrays the reduction in scale as inevitable owing to the decline of things over time, whereas in the fandom that difference of scale gets pushed as like a weird marketing point. "Oh you think Sauron's evil, well check out Satan, the Prince of Darkness MORGOTH! Thought those spiders in The Hobbit were scary? How about the PRIMORDIAL SPIDER?" It reduces a key philosophical underpinning in the work (and one I stridently object to, but that's another argument entirely) to a pissing contest and I don't actually think it works to encourage people to read a dense book full of deliberately stilted KJV-esque prose.

tl;dr
    [​IMG]

BigAl6ft6 and Master Vo'Un'Var like this.
  7. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    The struggle between Ancalagon and Earendil is most definitely film worthy.

PCCViking likes this.
  8. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Oh I wouldn't treat the scale I found on the Internet as canon, I just used it because it came up and it showed he's much bigger than Smaug, not that he's canonically exactly that size.

(and I'm a person who found the Silmarillion more fun to read than Lord of the Rings, and read it every year since I was 11)

TX-20, Sarge, PCCViking and 1 other person like this.
  9. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    the Fellowship by Ryan Pancoast

[​IMG]

PCCViking likes this.
  10. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013

The Desolation of Smaug's Self-Esteem

Jedi Merkurian , Sarge, Ghost and 2 others like this.
  11. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    Damn you Peter Jackson! You've made what should have been a single post into two posts!!

12. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Honestly I'm more put off by the decision to put a bad pop song after one of your posts.

TX-20 likes this.
  13. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    Here's an AU idea-what if Ancalagon managed to kill Earendil? Would he end up dying eating the silmaril? Would the Valar's host be pushed back to the sea?

14. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    PCCViking likes this.
  15. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    ^ Would that make Sauron a business tycoon, seeking to drive off Native Americans from their lands?

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  16. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Or maybe have him as an President Andrew Jackson like character

PCCViking likes this.
  17. laurethiel1138

laurethiel1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 6, 2003
    Yeah, the business tycoon-type would be better suited for Saruman, hoping to ride on the coattails of the big guns...

Jedi Merkurian , Gamiel and Sarge like this.
  18. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    With maybe a Jackson-like President as Morgoth?

19. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Got me the Hobbit Extended trilogy box set! Haven't cracked it open yet but the OCD geekery in me needed to have Hobbit Extended and LOTR Extended. I do intend to watch both back to back but that would be, like, a week long investment at least.

TX-20, Gamiel, Ramza and 1 other person like this.
  20. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Thrill as Peter Jackson runs wildly out of control and it kind of works if you're explicitly into that!

21. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I've seen the first two Hobbit movies at least twice (theatrical cut) but haven't seen BotFA since opening weekend in the theatre so I actually barely remember a lot. Aside from the dude running in on the war moose and decapitating like 6 orcs at once, that was badass.

22. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  23. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013

It's my fetish.

24. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    So EHT, have you gotten around to reading the Sil yet?

25. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Wait, was I supposed to be? :p No, I haven't read The Silmarillion. Honestly, it's not on my list either, since I haven't even read the entirety of The Hobbit or LOTR (just bits and pieces here and there, like notable excerpts). So I'm really only familiar with the movies when it comes to Middle-earth stuff (and the theatrical versions more than the EE).

26. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Oh, I thought you were trying to read more Tolkien :p

EHT likes this.
  27. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    If you ever get the itch, I'd say at least give The Hobbit a shot. Yeah it's for kids (of all ages as they'd market it these days) but it's a fun little adventure story and there's a surprising amount of narrative snark which really helps propel you through it.

28. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Yeah, not me, but I do think a few others in here may have stated that they wanted to do that. I know a couple have asked about The Silmarillion.

Darkslayer likes this.