main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph One Thread To Rule Them All: The Rings of Power + The Hobbit & Lord of the Rings Trilogies

Discussion in 'Community' started by -Courtney-, Nov 25, 2006.

1. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    It's good! I like it. It does its job well. It just isn't "masterful" or "deserving of the highest praise", as I opine the prose in tLOTR is.

Let us not quibble over fine parsings of word meanings! I love The Hobbit dearly, it's just written in a more conversational voice and the prose is not as literary or as elevated, IMHO.

Random Comments likes this.
  2. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    Why is the 48fps thing getting mentioned so much? As I understand it, most cinemas aren't showing it at that frame rate so why is it even an issue?

3. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    I just happen to enjoy conversational as well. Makes a great read-aloud. I'm really not disagreeing much. :)

Merlin_Ambrosius69 likes this.
  4. Random Comments

Sep 25, 2012
    Because most critics are seeing it that way, so they can review all aspects of the film.

5. Mustafar_66

May 20, 2005
    I can understand if they mention it as a footnote along the lines of: "Oh yeah, and if you're one of the few who'll be seeing this at 48fps you may find a bit jarring and that it can make things look a bit fake," but a lot of the reviews I've seen are using it as a major stick to beat the film with.

6. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Because it's, after all, the way Jackson intended.

7. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Because critics are seeing the 48fps version and it's still going to be noticeable in 24fps. And both the cinemas I frequent have 48fps capabilities. It may not be a lot of screens but they reach a lot of people.

8. Mustafar_66

May 20, 2005
    Thankfully the one I'll be seeing it at doesn't. Nor will I be seeing it in 3D, which is a relief. They only put the 2D showings up for pre-booking the other day, the swines.

9. Random Comments

Sep 25, 2012
    Because there are people like me who are interested as well. Also, seeing it in HFR 3D, then possibly standard 2D

10. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    I'll be seeing it 48 fps if I can, so I can get the full effect the director intended. If it doesn't work, I'll be the first to admit it.

11. Random Comments

Sep 25, 2012
    You should probably book tickets.....

Also, other people already said they didn't think it worked, so....maybe the fifth to say so or something? :p

12. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    I'll be the first on my (cell) block! :p

13. Random Comments

Sep 25, 2012
    In your cell block. :)

14. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    It's a pun. Deal with the inherent grammatical contradictions. :D

15. Random Comments

Sep 25, 2012
    You might literally live inside a block, too...? :p

16. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Anyone who thinks Tolkien should have had a better editor should read the friggin' Dostoyevsky. The guy must've been paid by the word count... :p

17. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    I win. :cool:

18. laurethiel1138

laurethiel1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 6, 2003
    Or Tolstoy. Or Dumas. Or Hugo. Or Zola. Or... I think you get my drift. Truly, some authors' "vichysoisse of verbiage veers most verbose", to quote V, and might have benefited from a good editing. Doesn't mean that the overall result is less satisfying, of course, but sometimes the Anvilicious Soapbox moments do tend to be too much.

Cheers,
    Lauré :)

19. Random Comments

Sep 25, 2012
    No, you don't. You quoted Elvis. That means you automatically lose.

20. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Hey, I love Dumas. And I don't mind highly verbose books - if they read well. But Dostoyevsky's prose is so heavy, drags so much - I've tried to read The Brothers Karamazov, but I just couldn't read more than a chapter or so at a time, it was infuriatingly slow and repetitive I kept putting the book down.

21. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    Whence the rule? PPOR. Elvis was a winner, and therefore everything he sang instantly trumps any argument made anywhere by anyone. Especially grammatically. PROVE ME WRONG. :mad:

:p

22. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    My cousin has a TV that's 48 fps, so after getting used to that I should be all set with either one! :D

23. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    But... but... this makes no sense! (Hence the smiley, I suppose.) Video is typically shot 60 fps and film is 24. A 48 fps TV would chop up video and wouldn't even work for any film but The Hobbit and, one presumes, the upcoming Avatar sequels. Color me confuzzled.

24. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Do those even exist? Most TV's nowadays have refresh rates of 60 or 120 hz and 48 fps wouldn't look the same as in a movie theater. The best reference TV-wise would be turning on the "sports mode" or "true motion"-- that is, the settings that make it look like crap.

25. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I'm not sure if her TV is actually 48 fps, but it has the exact same effect that 48 fps seems to have when contrasted with 24 fps in a movie theater.

(Actually showed her the 3 LOTR films on that TV, so I know whatpeople mean when they say it makes the props look less realistic)