Lit One Sentence or Less -- SHEEV

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Sep 18, 2012.

1. patchworkz7 Force Ghost

star 4

Did the early concept art for Ahsoka have her in tights? I think the book was written before the start of the cartoon itself since book publishing tends to run about a year ahead. ISTR early pictures of her without the tights.*

Even with the tights, the ship was still being actively worked on, and I think Pellaeon was taking issue with the dangers of exposed flesh and non-regulation uniforms around machinery, sparks from welding, and whatever else come with being on a ship still being refitted.

*I just made the mistake of doing a Google Image search to try and offer a more informed opinion and now I feel skeevy. Come on! I wasn't even aiming for the weird part of the internet!
    CT-867-5309 and Revanfan1 like this.
  2. Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group

VIP
    star 4
    No Prisoners: Karen Traviss builds her own Jedi Order, with Black Jack and... no, I won't go there.
    RC-1991, Darth_Garak and Gorefiend like this.
  3. instantdeath Force Ghost

star 5
    @Todd the Jedi takes this round.

Remember how I said we'd get to something most people had actually read after the TCW stuff?

[IMG]

I didn't say that most had enjoyed it.
    Last edited by instantdeath, Oct 27, 2013
    CooperTFN likes this.
  4. DigitalMessiah Chosen One

star 5
    You monster.

This book spends a substantial page count detailing Han and Leia preventing Kessel from exploding -- while its moon curiously never did! -- in a subplot that, like the series, went nowhere.
    Jeff_Ferguson likes this.
  5. Ordo N-11 Jedi Master

star 3
    In which, Aaron Allston decided that the most logical way to fit Wedge into a book about GA politics and the military was to try to blow up Kessel.
  6. DarthRelaxus Chosen One

star 5
    Oh good, another series with one word titles and boring cover art.
    CaptainPeabody and Gamiel like this.
  7. Hoss Delgado Jedi Knight

star 1
    Well, except for that one time it actually did:

[IMG]
  8. Random Comments Force Ghost

star 5
    "Let's banish the greatest Jedi and hero we have, that'll go well," the writers said, and the disappointment begins anew, this time with Kessel!
    Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  9. CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus

VIP
    star 6
    Turns out Kel Dor aren't much prettier without the masks.
    Random Comments likes this.
  10. Big Fat'Lya Jedi Master

star 1
    Democracy dead-end disaster? Dare to be Daala!
    Random Comments and CooperTFN like this.
  11. Revanfan1 Chosen One

star 5
    Jedi Gone Wild, Part 1.
  12. windu4 Force Ghost

star 4
    If they're going to make another story centered around the Big 3 they mine as well call it Outlast.

(I apologize.)
  13. Todd the Jedi Mod and Sitcom Dad of SWTV

Manager
    star 5
    Despite the cover, we don't get the beginning of an awesome story where the heroes visit monochromatic cities.
  14. Cynical_Ben Force Ghost

star 4
    Turns out that making the next Chief of State a brain damaged one-eyed anti-Jedi former war criminal was a bad idea guys.
  15. Parnesius Jedi Grand Master

star 1
    Luke accepts exile in a demonstration of the Jedi Order's humility and responsibility, allowing the Council to develop out of his shadow, and takes off on a father-son-bonding road trip to meet and learn from the more esoteric Force traditions while Han, Leia, their granddaughter and the droids vacation on (that is, save) Kessel with a bunch of old friends; with the Big Three out of their hair, the Jedi confront an outbreak of highly specific insanity within their number, setting in motion both an intriguing mystery and a complex centrepiece to the vital and surely inevitable re-negotiation of the Jedi Order-Galactic Alliance relationship; all in all, after the sound and fury of Legacy of the Force, Outcast sets Fate of the Jedi on course to be a smaller, more personal series that intelligently explores the preceding melodrama's aftermath and grants the next generation space to grow into heroes capable of standing on their own two feet -- what can possibly go wrong?
  16. Havac Former Moderator

star 7
    "This time, it's going to be different -- I know it will," Aaron Allston breathed in the tones of a man pleading with reality, "because my co-authors can't completely ruin my unexpectedly good job of salvaging their misguided premises with a reasonably promising opening novel twice in a row . . . can they?"
  17. Zorkel567 Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    Luke Skywalker, hero of the galaxy, leader of the Jedi is made an outcast by war criminal, terrorist, criminal, murderess, Chief of State Daala and goes on a journey to follow Jacen's steps that quickly goes off the railes and sets off a chain of events including a Planet of Sith, weird extraterrestrial being less cool than Waru, forced The Clone Wars tie ins, and slaves.
    Last edited by Zorkel567, Oct 28, 2013
    Gamiel likes this.
  18. patchworkz7 Force Ghost

star 4

What's up with the potato the size of the Death Star?
  19. CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus

VIP
    star 6
    That's a baked bean stuck to the lens.
    Last edited by CooperTFN, Oct 28, 2013
  20. Nobody145 Force Ghost

star 4
    So many possible one liners, um, let's see...

The list of problems with the premise of this novel/series (Daala as Chief of State, Luke being kicked off Coruscant by Daala, young Jedi being focused on only so they can go crazy and traumatize parents such as Mirax Terrik, that ludicrous scene where Luke "negotiates" his exile, etc.) would probably be longer than this first novel.
  21. CommanderDrenn Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    The hero becomes a bad guy for no reason and nothing happens
    TKT and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  22. DigitalMessiah Chosen One

star 5
    I believe it's supposed to be Kessel, which looks smaller due to perspective.

My point about the moon not exploding is that the moon is mysteriously restored despite having previously been destroyed by the Death Star prototype.
    Is it being charitable to call both Betrayal and Outcast promising, or am I overly cynical?
    Last edited by DigitalMessiah, Oct 28, 2013
  23. Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost

star 4
    Do we have a dislike button? I want to dislike Hav's straw-grasping Allston apologizing. He knows damn well this book was terrible and not at all promising. Anyway, my entry:

How to write an awful book that kicks off a nine-volume series with dragged out, pointless plots that will have no effect on anything that comes later; no actual villains; a genocidal war criminal written as a sympathetic character; and nothing at all to get the reader excited about the next eight books... 101.
  24. DarthJenari Force Ghost

star 4
    The best novel of a terrible series.
  25. Revanfan1 Chosen One

star 5
    I seriously doubt that any author would really know that his book was bad (which it isn't, BTW); no author wants to believe that. Even Denning probably believes his books are well-written.

I think they were both very good (except the end of Betrayal), actually. The rest of the series went downhill but there was some good here and there.