main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST One simple TFA change that makes the movie good

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Martin Ren, Dec 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Colm

Colm Jedi Master star 2

May 19, 2005
    If the OP's advice was followed the movie would have lost a billion dollars.

2. darthOB1

darthOB1 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 22, 2000
    I think people don't seem to get the fact that had Ren not mind probed her, Rey would not have had the direct knowledge on how to use the force, something that Luke never got. This simple explanation is why she was a faster study than Luke and partially explains along with Ren being wounded how she beat him!

3. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    I took the blowing up of Starkiller Base as tit for tat. The First Order blew up the Republic government and fleet (though I still think there had to be a small part of the fleet that was off on space mirroring Pearl Harbor) while the Resistance took out Starkiller Base leveling the playing field for both sides. So it's really two factions now at the bottom trying to overtake the other. So it isn't a David vs Goalith story anymore which I like. We already saw that in the OT.

darthOB1

People know it's just a bit of a stretch unless she had prior training which she did. It's called "the force awakens" after all.

4. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    It's also slightly misleading to say that Rey "beat" Kylo. Kylo had her dead to rights against that cliff, but chose to spare her because Snoke wanted her. It wasn't until he stopped and allowed her to force-rage that he was ever in trouble.

5. darthOB1

Mar 22, 2000
    the force awaken refers to both of them. The dark in Ren and the light in Rey. They both are n00bs, Ren just discovered his powers first with the help of Snoke

6. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    darthOB1

Kylo has taken a lot more then just a "few steps". If anything the awakening was Finn and Rey. I also think Luke was woken up as well since as Kevin Smith put it, Rey brought Luke his "lightsaber d---" saying you need to get back into the fight since your the only one that can stop this..which is was done brilliantly.

7. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    I loved this movie...saw it five times, so I don't know what you're talking about when you say making this movie good. Great? Yeah, there are some things that could have been better. But good? We already have that.

8. darthOB1

Mar 22, 2000
    Obviously he has more experience in addition he was trained by Luke. But his turning to the dark side and all its potential means starting over.

9. intravenusdemilo

intravenusdemilo Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 21, 2015
    So, everyone knows that Kylo wasn't trying to kill Rey durning the final saber fight, right?

People 'round here keep wondering why/how Rey defeated Kylo. Well, first he wasn't defeated. He was knocked down and then rift (literally and figuratively) grew between them. And second... He was likely taking it easy against Rey. He had orders to capture her and bring her to Snoke. His intention was specifically to NOT kill her.

10. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    Vader wasn't trying to kill Luke on Cloud City... which is why it wouldn't have served TESB to see Luke leave Vader for dead/or beaten up and prostrate. Indeed, Luke's was the moral victory. I think that's the difference between a clever, intelligent piece of filmmaking and something that's more designed to simply press the buttons.

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  11. KenMasters34

KenMasters34 Jedi Youngling

Dec 21, 2015
    According to http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Rey she was dropped off at Jakku at Age 5, which means any training she got from Luke was done prior to age 5. If you want to say the Wookieepedia is wrong, then I would say she looked like a 7 or 8 year old in the scene when she was abandoned on Jakku.

12. KenMasters34

KenMasters34 Jedi Youngling

Dec 21, 2015
    Are you serious? He was cut up badly by her.

I agree he wasnt trying to kill her, but he was clearly beaten.... badly

13. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Yes, I agree. I usually spot plot holes very quickly when watching a film for the first time. I genuinely couldn't see any here. At least not glaring ones. There are lots of questions raised that go unanswered, but those aren't plot holes, as this is the first film in a trilogy. I saw the film a week ago, and since then I have seen many threads discussing weaknesses and "plot holes". The vast majority I have read, though, are nitpicks, pure and simple, or people's own opinions.

Story-wise, the only thing I really had a problem with was Rey's power level going through the roof in no time at all. If she does end up being Luke's daughter, then I can see past that I suppose. Also, it does kind of fit in with the title of the film.

14. intravenusdemilo

intravenusdemilo Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 21, 2015
    We'll have to disagree. I don't think he was "clearly" beaten "badly." Sure, he was down. But I'm not sure he was out. He was shocked. He was surprised. He was taken back by her power. But who knows how he would have responded if they had not been separated by the open void.

15. d.b.coopersurviv

d.b.coopersurviv Jedi Youngling

Dec 26, 2015
    Force ghost training?? Damn I thought that was Yoda, and Lando blew up the second deathstar, Han and his crew brought down the shield and Luke convinced Vader to kill the emperor. And it took years for Luke to become that powerful.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

16. mike778

mike778 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 9, 2012
    I really enjoyed the film, it was great fun and don't really see any serious plot holes that spoil it. However most of the rest of this I'd agree with.

The whole building a 3rd death star, good guys going in and blowing it up again element of the film was disappointing. Like you say, having the attempt to destroy it with Poe dying would be a change of tack from ANH and legitimises the threat of the New Order.

Ditto with Kylo Ren - don't see where they are going to go with him now unless he does turn out to be a red herring. Killing Finn and defeating Rey would do a better job of developing him as the darkside threat.

Both of these would maybe be a bit too much. But one of the two (either failing the Starkiller attack or Ren killing Finn and defeating Rey) would improve the movie in my opinion.

17. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    We already have threads for reviews, complaints and story. Every newly registered individual does not require their own personal journal entry.

astinus4 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.