main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming One Step Closer (and I'm about to RROD): The Xbox One Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ezio Skywalker, May 21, 2013.

1. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    Xbox Next Gen Reveal today @ 1pm EST on Spike TV and Xbox Live. I got the notice in an email from walmart of all things.

2. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Gee dude, this has been announced since 2 or so months ago. :p

I don't know what to expect from Infinity, 720 or whatever the hell it's gonna finally be called, but if all of its bells and whistles it doesn't offer anything that might provide backward compatibility, I think I'll probably be better off getting a new replacement 360 until I decide to go the next gen route.

3. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    Backward compatibility isn't very important imo, seeing as how most gaming households already have a current gen xbox.

4. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    I think Backwards compatibility is very important, if the next Xbox had it it would be a easy selling point for more many choosing it over the PS4 if it has it. Me personally hopes it has BC as I'm selling my Xbox 360 this weekend and have all my data saved to a external hard drive.

darthtimetraveller likes this.
  5. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    I don't anymore. :(

Thus, why it's so important. It makes the decision of buying the new console much easier.

6. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    So the third xbox is called Xbox One.

Microsoft: Failing at basic numeracy since 2005.

7. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Just hope that they've fixed the RROD issue in this one..

8. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    A live action Halo TV show with the involvement of Steven Spielberg? That's interesting. Though not exactly what I expected to be revealed at a game console launch. I was expecting, y'know, games.

Lazy Storm Trooper likes this.
  9. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    [​IMG]

Sexy looking...it ain't. I had an old VCR that looked sleeker than this.

8GB RAM, 8-Core CPU, 500GB HDD, Blu-ray drive (finally!), built in 802.11n wireless and...new Kinect sensor- Whoop-dee-do. And still less powerful than many a low end PC.

10. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    I wouldn't say it's less powerful than a low end PC. But it's certainly less powerful than the mid-range system I'm currently putting together.

There was nothing at the announcement that made me go "I want one". The only announcement that caught my interest was the Halo TV show, and that's something I won't need an Xbox One to see. (I'm assuming it will be monetised with DVD/Blu-Ray releases and will be pirated out of the wazzoo.)

11. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Yeah, it's all so very underwhelming. If the thing is in fact non-backward compatible, then I guess that is that. You can keep your fugly multimedia device, M$. Right now, I'm not the slightest bit enticed.

cdgodin, TrandoJedi and Chewgumma like this.
  12. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
  13. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
  14. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    That's probably because whoever wins, Sony wins, since the Xbox One has a Blu-ray.

Still, the rumors circulating about used game lockouts will probably have me jumping ship to Sony.

15. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    I don't think it's a rumor. Didn't they confirm at the press event that games are locked to your Live account? This would be to prevent abuse of the ability to play games on a system without a disc.

16. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    It's technically a rumor since Microsoft has been mum on the specific implications of that feature with regards to the used game market (Contrast Sony's statements back in February); it's just one that's extremely likely to pan out.

17. TrandoJedi

May 4, 2011
    So disappointed, I was hoping to have the positive outweigh the negative with the new Xbox. But the PS4 is definitely looking like the obvious choice for me.

18. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013
    If you're looking at angles in a circle, 360 degrees is equivalent to 0 degrees, and from 0 degrees you would move to 1 degree next if you continue your rotation around the circle.

Not sure if this is what they're going for, of course, but the motif of the xbox 360 was the circle. 8-}

19. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    The only reason I would be likely to get this so-called Xbox One is for Halo 5 and Halo 6 anyway.

20. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013
    Welcome to the internet, where everything always sucks.

DarkEagle likes this.
  21. TrandoJedi

May 4, 2011
    At this point, I will be sad to not play them but in the world of the internet I can just watch videos of the story through YouTube and know the story without touching the console...fine with me. I'll miss ya Halo!

22. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I believe it's a pseudo-continuation of the previous naming convention - Xbox 360 gets you all the way around the circle, back to where you started, as would one full rotation. That or it's "All-in-one" or what the hell ever. Kind of modernist but successor consoles using clear naming progression is a relatively recent development, all things considered.

23. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I am still a little irritated about not being able to view the Terminals in Halo 4 without being online and I still haven't got to play Spartan Ops.

24. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    Wired says that Microsoft confirmed that you have to pay to use a disc on a second live account.

It's just a matter of finding out whether installing to hard drive is mandatory.

25. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Requires Kinect? Welp, you just lost a customer Microsoft. I have no interest in installing a camera and microphone in my living room for you.

Rawne likes this.