main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming One Step Closer (and I'm about to RROD): The Xbox One Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ezio Skywalker, May 21, 2013.

1. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    I assume that MS's battle strategy is to have the first console on the market, as they did with the 360. This rush to produce the first released next-gen console will probably result in the first wave being rather problematic (as again was the case with the 360). The 360 only just got perfected what, two years ago, with the release of the 360-S? Out of the console's 8 year life cycle, only the last 2 years saw it become the console it should have been long before.

My bet is that despite the apparent gamer backlash, MS will continue as planned and release the console this year. Then, over the course of the next few years, they'll tweak it over several times as they did with the 360 until they actually create something really worthwhile.

Nonetheless, I'm still on the fence. I want to like this device (and honestly, the multimedia features are indeed appealing to me--and I have wifi throughout my house, so the Internet stuff doesn't bother me). But at the same time, I can't ignore all the backlash. Yet, simultaneously, I've never been a Sony gamer and I'm too afraid of new things to jump on board with the PS4. I've always hated the PS controller and it never felt right to me, so maybe I'll either invest in the X1 or prolong my usage of the 360-S.

It doesn't really matter either way, though, as I only have time for games like maybe 2 hours out of every month. This is probably why the X1 appeals more to me, because of its multimedia features and not its gaming features. Plus, as mentioned before, my household is a huge user of Kinect workout games, so the improved Kinect is something that really appeals to us.

Penguinator likes this.
  2. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    :oops: Did you actually read the article? Because it seems obvious that you didn't, let me sum it up:
    1. People say the X1 looks ugly but I think the looks are comparable to the PS4, and I think they both look OK.
    2. People say that The X1 is going to spy on you but it isn't and you can turn off Kinect if you want to.
    3. Yes, it sucks that the X1 needs to connect at least once every 24 hour, but I'm connected 24/7 anyway.
    4. It's expensive but so was the PS3 and those that complain about the X1 bought the PS3 when it was more than $500 and didn't complain about the price of the PS3. Hypocrisy, much?
    5. One argument is that the X1 is just about TV, when quite clearly it's not, as proven by the whole range of games and exclusives.
    6. PS4 fanboys say that the PS4 has more exclusives, except it doesn't and it doesn't even have more non-exclusives either. (See the article for the table of what's coming out on what).
    7. The PS4 doesn't have a better controller. There's even going to be an X1 style controller for the PS4.
    8. I have friends who'll get it, I like playing with friends.
    So no, his reasoning is a lot more thought out than you claim.

3. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Curious choice of words, seeing as he depicts his opposition as being simpering, illiterate strawmen whose entire argument can be summarized as bullet points, whereas he provides himself multiple paragraphs of per point justification. I'm also fond of the section wherein he describes the always online policy as being "indefensible" and decries the official MS response, before essentially echoing it with his "Well I have broadband" counterargument. I suppose I should be glad that apologists can at least create a sufficiently twisted logical framework to satisfy themselves, I'd hate to think masochism was involved.

Edit: Furthermore:
    That's not even true, I never bought a PS3. I was fully intent on buying the new Xbox until they unveiled a bunch of terrible features at the announcement, and it's since gotten worse.

4. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    I think you'll find that what I actually said was "more eloquent than I", meaning that has I tried to say the same I would've made a pig's ear of it.

I don't like the connecting every 24 hour thing either, I'd rather it wasn't there. But it is, and I'm connected 24/7, so while I might not like it it's not going to put me off buying an X1. How is that a 'twisted logical framework'?

5. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    You're rewarding a company for doing something you don't like simply because it doesn't inconvenience you at the moment. In addition, this entire enterprise of carving an illusionary opponent from whole cloth to rationalize one's decision regarding a purchase is pretty warped.

Darth_Invidious and Draconarius like this.
  6. Thefinalhack

Thefinalhack Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 11, 2013
    I feel for you bro

Sent via my astromech droid

7. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    You'll have to explain what you mean there as I have no idea.

8. Draconarius

Draconarius Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 2005
    No, I read it, and I stand by what I said. Short-sighted, selfish people like him are the exact reason why MS are trying to force a second-rate, DRM-riddled piece of junk down our throats. He also ignores the used games issue, where MS is attempting to tell us what we can and cannot do with our own property. But let me answer each of his points, anyway.

1. People say the X1 looks ugly but I think the looks are comparable to the PS4, and I think they both look OK.
    As do I. However, the console's looks are irrelevant in the final analysis; you'll be looking at the TV screen, not the console. Non-issue.

2. People say that The X1 is going to spy on you but it isn't and you can turn off Kinect if you want to.
    Doesn't change the fact that I don't want the bloody thing. I'm not going to use it, and I don't want to pay $100 over the price of the PS4 (and, presumably, the no-Kinect X1) for it. Great, you can turn on your Xbox without having to touch it. You can already do that via the controller. And you know that MS will force developers to include Kinect functionality in their games, which has done nothing but sink several games that would have otherwise been pretty good last generation.

3. Yes, it sucks that the X1 needs to connect at least once every 24 hour, but I'm connected 24/7 anyway.
    Exactly the kind of selfish and short-sighted reasoning I mentioned. Great, you're connected 24/7. Not everyone is, and not everyone wants to be. MS has told those people that they are not worthy of owning an X1 and should settle for a 360 instead. Better idea: those people can tell MS to get stuffed and purchase a not-always-online PS4 instead.

4. It's expensive but so was the PS3 and those that complain about the X1 bought the PS3 when it was more than $500 and didn't complain about the price of the PS3. Hypocrisy, much?
    Strawman argument. Not everyone who is complaining about the price bought the PS3 for $600. I paid $250 for mine a couple years back. Some people (such as myself) who bought the 360 are balking at the X1's price. Even if the people complaining are the ones who bought the PS3... well, two wrongs don't make a right. Sony learnt its lesson from that debacle, MS seemingly did not.

5. One argument is that the X1 is just about TV, when quite clearly it's not, as proven by the whole range of games and exclusives.
    6. PS4 fanboys say that the PS4 has more exclusives, except it doesn't and it doesn't even have more non-exclusives either. (See the article for the table of what's coming out on what).
    Almost all of the big games are coming out on both consoles, and in my opinion the exclusives even themselves out. Even if they didn't, and the X1 had the far superior lineup, it still wouldn't be enough for me to tolerate the X1's ridiculous features.

7. The PS4 doesn't have a better controller. There's even going to be an X1 style controller for the PS4.
    If this were a PS3 vs 360 debate, I'd let you have that one. But the PS4 controller looks an order of magnitude improved over the PS3's. And even he says that the controller is a non-issue; it won't make anyone jump ship, and there are much more important things to be worried about on the X1.

[joke] And the X1-style controller is obviously there to allow all of the traumatized former Xbox fans something familiar to help them acclimatize. :p [/joke]

8. I have friends who'll get it, I like playing with friends.
    Good for him, I guess. But my friends hate what MS is doing as much as I do and are all joining me in jumping ship. Well, actually, not jumping ship, seeing as we all have both current-gen consoles right now. But you get the idea.

Zeta1127, Chewgumma, 07jonesj and 2 others like this.
  9. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    EDIT: Never mind.

[​IMG]

Darth_Invidious and Draconarius like this.
  10. ManaByte

ManaByte Chosen One star 5

Aug 20, 1998
  11. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    The one good thing about the Xbox One is we're going to find out just how informed the regular consumer is.

12. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    I'm not sure I'd use the word 'sin', but yeah, it is crazy. I can only hope they change things before launch.
    The only positive I can get from the article, and I'm really really grasping here, is this: "we remain dedicated to Xbox 360 now and for years to come". It's good to know my 360 won't be obsolete on X1 launch. Other than that? *SMH*. I did not realise just how bad it is.

13. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    edit: internet glitched and said it hadn't post, sorry!

14. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    They also gave a giant middle finger to Poland, which was really shocking considering they were heavy on pushing The Witcher 3.

15. ManaByte

ManaByte Chosen One star 5

Aug 20, 1998

They can make the game for the system, but they can't play it!

16. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Let's have some good news, shall we? Was just checking Major Nelson's blog to see if there was any deal thing I should know about, and I see an article on X1 achievements and challenges. The challenge example given seems like the dog tag challenges that BF3 did a while back, but it could be anything. It certainly sounds good, especially the adding of achievements and community involvement.
    Source: http://majornelson.com/2013/06/12/xbox-one-achievements/

17. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013

Ok, I just don't understand Microsoft's logic here. The 360 can be used without limit offline. In the barest case scenario, someone might go online for an update to the device or to a particular game.

So why exactly does the X1 need to connect to the Internet every 24 hours? At first, I thought this was simply in order to reduce update times (for example: I don't have much free time, so when I do finally get around to starting up my 360--once every other week or so--it needs to do some random update). Is this not the case? Is there a reasonable explanation why MS needs the device to connect to the Internet every 24 hours?

Like mousemousse, I've been clenching my teeth and hoping for the best regarding the X1. I've always been a fan of Microsoft's products and even though I was late to the original Xbox party and again late to the 360 generation, I was nonetheless unquestionably pleased with my experiences.

This time around, though...

I mean, as I mentioned before, none of these flaws about the X1 will directly affect me, but they might indirectly affect me. What if third party developers don't want to play with the schoolyard bully (MS)? What if so many consumers jump ship that having an Xbox Live membership means that you can play online with the only other 2 people in the world who bought a Xbox One console?

Honestly, the X1 had a lot going for it. But its flaws are glaring and undeniably mind-changing. The undecided buyer can now easily reconsider any appeal of the X1 and go over to the PS4 just because the latter device sports a more simple experience.

18. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012

Chewgumma and Draconarius like this.
  19. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I am so worried about not getting to play the rest of the Reclaimer Trilogy simply because the console Halo 5 and 6 are going to be on is almost certainly going to be a disaster and in its present state isn't worth the money to me. I see a potentially bright future for Halo under 343i, but it seriously looks like the console is going to prevent me from even giving them a chance. I got into the last generation very late, only ending up with an Xbox 360 about a year or two ago thanks to a friend not needing it, and quickly becoming a true Halo fan (I did briefly get to play Halo 3 when someone brought it to school on launch day or the following day during my senior year, but I never truly got to appreciate the game until I got to buy it for myself). I am not very likely to buy any of the next gen consoles for quite some time anyway, and far more likely to get a PS3 first.

07jonesj likes this.
  20. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    Yeah, I'm in the same boat. Massive Halo fan (of the story, really) but I just can't bring myself to buy MS' console when they're so blatantly anti-consumer. Hopefully, this'll backfire on them in a big way and they'll be forced to change their strategy.

21. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Speaking of Halo's story... did you read the Forerunner trilogy, I think it was by Greg Bear? It gets... convoluted. Although at least it helps explain the out of character behavior of the Didact. I haven't gotten around to playing the earlier Halo games, although I rented Halo 4 and played through it (guess I'm not going to do that with any XB1 Halo games), but from glancing through the Halo encyclopedia in bookstores, Halo 3 talked about the history between the Librarian and Didact or something like that.

Who knows why they chose 24 hours. The most frustrating answer is that its a control feature, part of how they won't allow used games, but even the 24 hours thing is a bit much. But then its not the first time we've seen something like this, and SimCity and Diablo turned out so well... although I think their issues settled down after the first few weeks, but it still leaves a horrible impression. I don't mean to sound like an anti-Microsoft fanatic (well, at least not at the moment) but until they come up with a better answer, it still comes off as Microsoft saying "You're going to like it, or else". Actually, a lot of their comments stink of that attitude, unfortunately, such as a while ago, when someone asked about why no backwards compatibility and they said anyone who wants that is backwards or something like that... yeah, just keep on insulting us, why don't they. The "go buy a 360 you primitive people without Internet access" interview didn't help either. Of course they didn't phrase it like that, but still.

I'm sure Halo will still move systems, but even Halo and Titanfall and a few other big titles probably won't erase the memory of the XB1's introduction. At E3 they just avoided the issue... and basically left themselves open to plenty of trolling from Sony.

22. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Except they do allow used games, it's been officially stated that used games will work and that there's no block on them.

23. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009

Only if you buy those games through "participating retailers." If the little independent store I use stocks pre-owned Xbox One games then I could expect to be paying twice to just play the content I just purchased. Not to mention that I won't be able to rent, trade or borrow games for the system.

Seriously, you keep defending Microsoft's policy on used games and I have no idea why. Sure used games from participating retailers is better than no used games at all. But that's not saying all that much. The console still uses draconian DRM measures that restricts what the consumer can do with the product. They're sticking a middle finger up at independent stores and stripping the basic nature of ownership to pander to multi-million dollar publishers like EA and Ubisoft and the largest retailers who can afford to sign up to Microsoft's policies and still remain competitive on the high street.

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  24. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I doubt "participating retailers" = Amazon Marketplace / Ebay

25. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    It's become obvious to me that MS is just trying to ween console gamers away from the concept of "used games" and physical media in general. They want to go to a purely digital download route but don't have the balls to go all in.