main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming One Step Closer (and I'm about to RROD): The Xbox One Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ezio Skywalker, May 21, 2013.

1. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    I suspect Kinect 2.0 will get a lot more use than the original simply because they realize people don't actually mind voice commands.

2. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    I like the voice commands. My car also responds to voice commands. One of my friends says that he feels like he's aboard the Enterprise every time he visits from out of state.

3. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    Yeah, exactly. Gesture controls just don't seem as big a draw to me. It's like that Samsung phone - "Hands covered in BBQ sauce? Can't touch your phone? Wave your hand in front of the screen to answer!" Yeah, but I'm probably not gonna want to answer the phone if I'm eating, plus I have voicemail. Gesture controls solve non-problems, IMO.

4. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Not for the fully abled, no. I agree though, I doubt I'll use gesture controls. As for voice controls, wasn't there some excitement when they added those to Skyrim? I don't have it but I can see myself shouting out the signs in The Witcher.

5. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    Has anyone tried the Kinect Fable game? It's pretty neat. It does get tedious after, say, the first 30 min or so, though. Nonetheless, it's kinda fun to blast things with your hand gestures.

6. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Yeah, Kinect recognizing the Thu'ums and allowing for much easier navigation of the menus does sound like a pretty pleasant thing, the menus are already starting to get tedious and I am only level 31.

7. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    Internet - 1
    Microsoft - 0

http://kotaku.com/microsoft-is-removing-xbox-one-drm-514390310

I'm glad they finally saw reason and removed the DRM. There was no chance of them succeeding this gen if they went ahead with it. Having said that Sony's device is still cheaper and doesn't have Kinect as a mandatory device, so in my opinion it's still the better console.

8. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Still requires Kinect? I still won't buy it.

9. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Holy crap, a bunch of angry people on the Internet managed to change something.

The implications are somewhat disturbing. :p

10. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    Man, about time they backtracked. Now I will get this at some point, just not likely at launch.

11. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    That plus the over enthusiastic crowd that attended the Sony conference. There's more to this than just angry nerds on the web.

12. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I'd imagine it's a lot of angry nerds on the web, though - Amazon and Gamestop preorder numbers in particular.

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  13. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    One would think simple market research would've avoided this PR disaster.

14. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    This is great news. The always-online (every 24 hours, whatever) even for offline games was the killer for me. There was also the possibility MS could switch off their servers at some point after this generation and render everyone's past consoles useless.

While I'm still buying a PS4 day of release, I will now probably buy an Xbox One at some point when they have built up some more exclusives.

Draconarius likes this.
  15. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Wow, Microsoft admitted they were wrong about something. I'd embed the scanners gif if it were allowed. [face_laugh]

Well, the next gen fight just got interesting.

16. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Yeah, huh, guess the backlash from the initial announcement alone wasn't bad enough, but after having Sony pummel them at E3, that was enough.

17. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    You knew this was coming.

[​IMG]

18. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    So Microsoft actually listened to it's fans criticisms, and quite right too.

Though you wonder why they ever thought the stuff they proposed would go down well, unless they really didn't realise how much of a threat Sony could be in terms of taking away their customer base.

19. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011

I agree, I'm still sold on the PS4 but its nice to know the X1 is removing the ridiculousness that would prevent me from getting the system in the first place. Probably a few years down the line I'll get one.

20. Draconarius

Draconarius Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 2005
    Wow. I am honestly astonished. I won't be changing my PS4 preorder, but now the X1 has gone from a "Not until Hell freezes over" purchase to a "Once my finances recover from the PS4" purchase.

21. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Better than nothing, the Xbox One would still be a pain with HDMI only, but its at least manageable now without the ridiculous DRM.

22. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013

A bunch of angry people on the Internet also convinced Bioware to modify Mass Effect 3's ending.

23. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    Also, what exactly is the appeal of the PS4 for non PS3 owners?

24. Penguinator

May 23, 2005

Ending was exactly the same, though, and a vast number of those angry people ate it up. Point is, it's all spin in the end, and Microsoft would've made good money either way. This way they'll make better.

25. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    The ending wasn't exactly the same. It included more meaningful (?) cutscenes.