main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming One Step Closer (and I'm about to RROD): The Xbox One Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ezio Skywalker, May 21, 2013.

1. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Except I am connected directly and with a wire, and I have also reset my router too. Everything I've seen to help has always been something I'm either doing or have tried before.

2. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I don't have an X-Box anything, but could your two devices be fighting each other? Have you tried each separately to confirm both are working OK?

3. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I've just bought an HDMI switch so I can certainly see if that makes any difference. I did try the 360 without the Xbox One being on and it did seem to last longer before I got disconnected.

4. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    If you can, try using a different router in case your current one is in the fritz. Perhaps you could also try contacting your ISP in case one or more ports need to be opened.

5. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    That's a thought. Do you get similar disconnections if you come online with another device (i.e. laptop)?

6. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
  7. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    TX-20 likes this.
  8. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    Same here. I really hoped that Microsoft had a brain, and it turns out that they do! Now, all they have to do is announce Halo 2 Anniversary for the One at E3, and I'm on board.

TX-20 and TrandoJedi like this.
  9. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    Indeed, as much as said I will stop doing it...I'd buy an Xbox for Halo. I bought a 360 four weeks before Halo 3, and plugged my 360 in after being neglected a year just for Halo 4. I keep telling myself no, but lets see where my impulses guide me.

TX-20 and 07jonesj like this.
  10. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    XBone must be doing even worse than I thought if they are actually going through with this. Remember when they said this would "never" happen?

11. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    Just ****ty PR tactics. If they came out and said that they were going to release a Kinect-less version a few months down the line, how could they sucker people into paying that extra $100?

If the last year or so has proved anything, it's that MS aren't even trying to pretend to be for the consumers.

12. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I heard the party system is a giant step backwards from the 360, because join to party and game doesn't work very well.

13. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    I've had my X1 since Christmas and I'd have to agree that MS was very slow in bringing what worked splendidly on the 360 over to the X1. Until recently, X1 gamers couldn't even look up people they recently played with (which is necessary if you want to send messages, friend requests, game invites, etc). The 360 allowed this feature and was flawless with its execution (I liked playing multiplayer with a certain few people one day--well, I could just go to my "Recent Players" list and add them to my friends list on the 360). The X1 finally added this feature.

Over the past several months, I've seen several updates and tweaks to the X1 that make the console better each time--but it's also kind of upsetting that these things weren't there from the get go (especially since the 360 could do some of the features X1 needed gradual updates for).

I saw on one of my Live Tiles that Microsoft will no longer be requiring a Live Gold membership to access entertainment apps (Netflix, Youtube, etc). While this doesn't necessarily affect me (I've always been a Gold member), I've always thought it ridiculous of MS to require Gold for these apps (especially since I can access many of those apps through my wi-fi blu ray player, smart TV, or hell, even DirecTV DVR). It was an obvious and imo unjust cash grab by MS all these years.

Another thing the 360 did better than the X1? Xbox Live Arcade/Games Marketplace. The X1 online store is sorely lacking anything comparable to the little indie games, legions of game demos, etc, that can still easily be found on the 360 online store. WTH? At first I chalked this up to the X1 still being too new, but now it's ridiculous. I found some great games on the 360 marketplace over the past years (Braid and Castle Crashers being some of my faves), but the X1 doesn't offer anything comparable in its online store. We can't even get more than a couple game demos there!

Apparently MS will also be offering discounts/free games for Gold Members on the online marketplace next month, but what good is a discount in an online game library that contains so pitifully few games?

As for the Kinect-less X1...I don't get it. How will the TV integration work without Kinect? I suppose people could return to using controllers (or the X1 smartglass app for smartphones/PCs--which, I have to say, is rather spectacular). But I really don't understand the Kinect hate. Maybe mine is an isolated case, but the Kinect is a very impressive/convenient device. It amazes all my house guests with its general ease of use for commands (though I wish YouTube would included some Kinect voice integration), and (as I've said many times before) makes it easier to distract kids while going about house chores ("Xbox--watch Disney Junior!" "Xbox, go to Frozen!" etc).

But like I said, perhaps my case is an isolated one, as I wanted an X1 mainly for its advanced living room features than for the games (though I have developed what my wife deems as an unhealthy addiction to Killer Instinct).

14. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    I for one welcome the Kinectless Xbone. For me, it was a useless peripheral for features I would likely never use. Recent developments are certainly warming me to this new toy at last.

15. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    The only reason I would ever even use a Kinect is with games like Skyrim where it adds to the game, because I simply don't need a living room multimedia platform.

16. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    In regards to gaming, I seldom used Kinect v1 with Mass Effect 3. But I do still play Kinect Sports with the neighbors. Yeah, it's pretty much just a HD version of Wii Sports, but it's still damn fun.

Other than the Sports and Fitness games, I rarely use Kinect for gaming at all.

17. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    Therein lies the problem, for someone who really couldn't care less about fitness/dancing/minigames. For someone who's had a controller in their hands for more than a decade, it's actually easier to click the "A" button than it is to start talking to a Kinect, or swiping my hands. The worst thing is that even if it was quicker, it's still not worth $100 to me. $100 to be able to click a button slightly faster?

For the millions of dollars of R&D Microsoft spent creating two versions of the Kinect, I expected more than it being an extremely small convenience.

18. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    The voice commands in Skyrim seem like they would add to the game, especially the voice hotkeys and Shouts, though I don't have a Kinect to find out for myself.

19. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Yeah, but you'd actually have to learn to verbalize your favorite Shouts and hope to the gods that the Kinect properly recognizes the funny little words you yelled at your TV screen. A bit of a hassle if you ask me. :p

20. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Not to mention the noise factor for neighbors or other family members.

21. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Yeah, it's nice to know that when Sony completely collapses owing to its financial ****ups, I'll have a viable option to replace a possibly defunct PS4.

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  22. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    That'd be really bad though. Sony were forced to up their game last gen because the Xbox 360 did so well, and now Microsoft are forced to up their game because of the PS4's success. Without having two competitors, there's little reason for them to try so hard.

TX-20 likes this.
  23. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I don't disagree, I'm just being realistic about a company that posted a loss of over a billion dollars.

24. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    So something very strange/troubling happened this morning. I walk into the living room, turn on the X1 and the TV and there's no sound (despite the fact that the TV volume is up). I notice that the Kinect 2 light is sometimes off, sometimes on. TV channels aren't working. I went back to the home screen and launched a game, and got only a black screen.

I rebooted the console a few times to the same results. So I finally unplugged it and plugged it back in. Seems to be working just fine now, but what gives? I'm trying to search Google for reasons about why this might've happened, but I've so far found nothing solid.

25. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Did you have a thunderstorm overnight by any chance? Power surge?