main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming One Step Closer (and I'm about to RROD): The Xbox One Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ezio Skywalker, May 21, 2013.

1. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I, for one, am excited. I saw what I wanted to see. Sure it has some fancy things I'll never use but then I never thought I'd use my 360 to download movies and watch TV. There's also the built in PVR that I'm going to use a lot as I've always wanted to record game stuff but never could. All in all, I don't think there was anything in the reveal that I didn't like. I even think the console itself looks good. The new controller will be great as it looks much like the 360 controller but improved upon.

2. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    I think Microsoft and Sony trying to convince people to buy the Kinect and Move and Eye after the Wii shows just how successful the Wii was. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Nintendo was definitely doing something right in those years. It has worn off since then, but I wouldn't count the Wii U out yet either. The 3DS didn't have a great launch but its doing much better now. Hm, guess it depends on how the competition turns out, if the next-gen console prices are really, really high. Also I thought the Wii was always sold either at a profit or at least breaking even so that was great for Nintendo, whereas Sony is still recovering from PS3 price drops I think.

While Kinect might not be required for every game, it does sound like it will have to be connected to the Xbox at all times, so it mainly just sounds like a hassle. Just as long as developers don't start getting ideas like adding Kinect controls to every game (I remember ME3 touted Kinect controls as one of its features... but then ME3's reputation has since taken a huge beating for other reasons).

It'll be interesting to see what the numbers will be by 2014. While the 360 outsold the PS3, the fact that the PS3's numbers are still pretty close to the 360 show that its been gaining, though never overtook the 360, so having it that relative close despite the 360's year head start as the first HD console shows how the gap has been closing.

Also I'm still not sold on voice controls. Apple tried it with Siri and I never use it (haven't even seen that many commercials about it these days), so while I'm sure Xbox One will work fine as an entertainment hub, still waiting to see what makes it a must-own. Heh, if they dropped the subscription price for XBL, that would help, but that'll never happen.

The game recording bit does sound interesting, and they're really pushing Cloud too, but that requires a fast, stable connection which not everyone has. I don't buy used games much but I know that's a major topic too. Actually the bit about using cloud computing to stretch out the hardware sounds interesting too, but then that actually just kinds of remind of streaming game services, where the game is playing elsewhere and the box is just streaming the game to you, but that would help the Xbox One last longer. Heck, Sony already bought one of the streaming game companies, so we'll see where the next generation goes.

3. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    The game recording is very different to the game streaming that Sony is offering. I don't know if it'll offer streaming yet but being able to record and edit game footage on the actual console is a great plus. Even if it's just that I'd consider it better than just streaming.

As for the second hand market, there's no block on used games. It's been confirmed that there is no block and no fee to play used games. I don't know all the details when it comes to borrowing games but they'll release that info in due course.

Oh, and having kinect isn't a bad thing. I'm not going to play any kinect games but it might be handy to have the voice controls. I might be busy writing or doing something and want to watch the cricket. Telling my xbox to put the cricket on just seems a lot easier than stopping, finding the controller, and searching through myself.

4. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    That assumes the voice controls work as intended, never quite sure how far voice controls have gotten.

And I understand that the game DVR bit is not streaming but just adding sort of DVR functionality to the Xbox gaming bit.

I think its been mentioned somewhere, probably one of the IGN articles, that one of the possible future options is to have some of the game computing done in the cloud, so even with the Xbox software getting older as time goes by, if the cloud infrastructure improves, the Xbox doesn't need to (yet). Which to me sounds kind of like streaming, having part of the game play out elsewhere. Not exactly, of course, its just part of how big cloud computing is becoming these days. I'm still worried about that internet connection required for gaming, maybe. Still sorting through the stories about games being registered to your console (that thing about a fee required for loaning it to a friend or something). Heck, one quote said something like a single-player game will stop working after 24 hours, but that would be... odd. Well, guess most people have access to wi-fi most of the time, but still.

5. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    I used the Kinect voice commands in ME3 quite frequently. That said, I don't often use Kinect unless I have friends over, then we jump into bowling fun.

6. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    They've invested a lot in voice controls. There's an app on the 360 where you say a few phrases and you get free MSP points.

I'm sticking to official sources on the game registering and lending front. There's this from Larry Hryb (aka Major Nelson):
    http://majornelson.com/2013/05/21/xbox-one-and-used-games/
    So basically there's no fee to play used games or to play your games at a friend's house if you're signed in (which you would be).

7. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    The key words from that link:

The way I read this is that you are free to trade in your games but second hand players will have to pay a fee.

Also it's come to light that the console has to be connected to the internet at least once every 24 hours for some reason. Which seems bizarrely restrictive.

ETA:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Are you going to play at a friend's house and not sign in? Looking at what it says they've said that playing a second hand game won't have a fee.

And official sources from the Q & A say that the console doesn't need to be connected all the time.

9. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    Not necessarily. Why should I have to when I have the disc? It's madness. And nowhere does it say you don't have to pay a fee to play a second hand game. Just that playing a second hand game purchased at retail is possible.

Once every 24 hours isn't all the time.

10. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    I don't see what's the big deal about the device needing to be connected to the Internet. I currently have DirecTV and my whole-home DVR system is connected to my Internet 24/7. If the Xbox One means to replace cable boxes/DVRs, then how would this requirement be that much different than current cable/DVR devices?

11. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    My internet was recently down for a week due to no fault of my own. If that happens with a Xbox One you would be left without an expensive luxury item for a week. With cable you need the connection to reach a product you don't own. But if I own a physical copy why should I need to access an internet connection to play what I own? It's very draconian and bad for the consumer.

12. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    This.

Probably my major issue with the news today was this thing - although Kotaku (in typical fashion) took someone's quotes out of context and Superman-leapt to a conclusion - and until more of that is resolved, I'm curious as to how exactly this aspect of the system works. Was the info there as "WELL CLOUD STORAGE BRO ALWAYS BACK UP" or "Yeah, this is a necessary component"? Time will tell.

13. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Woah, that actually makes a good amount of sense.

14. Riven_JTAC

Riven_JTAC Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2011
    SONY has a huge opportunity to bury Microsoft heading through the summer news cycle. SONY needs to make an impressive showing of games at E3. The PS4 reveal wasn't mind-blowing, but it was positive. The reaction to the One reveal has been negative, on average, from what I've seen. Microsoft will have to play catch-up at E3 while SONY can increase its lead.

The biggest thing for me is games, games, and more games. Yeah, I use my PS3 as a DVD/BluRay player and any new console I get (which will be PS4 regardless because I am a huge SONY whore) will become my new DVD/BluRay player, but I want a console that, at it's core, is a gaming device. SONY's reveal was far and away more game-centered than Microsoft's. That is a huge plus, in my mind.

BoromirsFan likes this.
  15. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    You keep typing Sony in all caps, yet Sony isn't an acronym for anything (as far as I know...).

That's a good point, yes. But I'm with Penguin in that I think we still need to wait and gather accurate facts. I'm confident that Microsoft must have considered that possibility (unless they were thinking that you're also screwed if your area undergoes a power outage so what's the biggie).

16. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    I watched the PS4 reveal and felt it to be underwhelming at best, and boring at times. It seemed more like a conference for developers than any kind of event for gamers. We saw the controller, saw the touch pad thing but it wasn't explained what it real does or can be used for, and that camera thing that was mentioned but nothing was said about. To me it just lacked any kind of information that I want to know about the console. There was mention of other people jumping into my game and even taking over my controller, which to me is a massive no.

Compare it to the X1 reveal, which had the console, the controller, as well as explanations of how Kinect has improved and how it will work with the controller. It also had demonstrations of the console being used and how easy the new features are. In short, it showed me what I'm going to experience as a gamer. It should have had more games but it left me very impressed and thinking that this will not just be a great console that's comparable to the PS4 in terms of hardware but that it will also be great for all round entertainment.

17. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    Games will be the focus of E3 - right now it's all about the hardware.

Interesting thoughts I've heard on the "always online" aspect: could be this is a holdover from months ago, as they're pretty cagey on details. Perhaps the media tumult about Sim City influenced a change, but they just haven't been able to implement it yet?

18. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    That was the worst reveal I've ever seen. I'm aware they're holding the games off until E3, but then why not just reveal the whole shebang at E3?

The reaction has been overwhelmingly negative across the internet, and for good reason. Is Microsoft making a gaming console or a set-top box? Can it be both? Of course. But which is the priority for MS? Considering no games appeared until the 35 minute mark, I'm going to say set-top box.

Why would we pay however much this console costs for things we can already do?

I really hope they step up to the plate at E3, because otherwise the PS4 is going to have no competition. And that's bad for consumers.

19. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Microsoft has succeeded in making the PS4 seem appealing by comparison- something I didn't think possible.

20. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    Yeah im just gonna buy a wii U in the close future, and get a ps4 in like 3-4 years.

xbox one is just a disaster.

21. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Sony might have introduced the first game at about 20 minutes or so, but those first 20 minutes? They didn't really say anything that's relevant to gamers. At least with the X1 it was all about how impressive the console is and how you can use it. It was all "this is the console and these are some great features and this is how it'll work". In that hour Microsoft showed off way more content that Sony did in two.

Ezio Skywalker likes this.
  22. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    I think all this stuff is endemic of the hype machine that games "journalism" and gaming industry events have become. I'll wait until it's out, read some reviews, have a play, make my decision.

23. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002

For those who missed the reveal, here are the highlights.

TrandoJedi and darthcaedus1138 like this.
  24. Thefinalhack

Thefinalhack Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 11, 2013
    Summary of the announcement:
    The next Xbox is called Xbox One. It'll be out later this year. It won't be always-online, but it will restrict used games. Oh, and the next Call of Duty has a dog.

Sent via my astromech droid

25. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    All I know is Sony came out and said, "This console was made for game developers." We then were introduced to some games, saw some demos and interviews.

The best news that came out of the Xbox reveal for me was the Halo TV series, and that's not even really game related. Frankly, I don't care if the Xbox One can play live TV. I already have a device that can do that. I don't care that I can use internet explorer (really? IE?) on it. I have a computer if I really need to do something, and a tablet and phone. I don't care that I can follow a fantasy football team, and I don't care if I can talk to it (why is this conference-worthy? The original iPod had this). Trust me, pressing the "A" button is faster.

The only game-related news that interested me was Quantum Break, and that was a huge tease. We really didn't get any information.

I own both the 360 and the PS3, and was hoping that both companies would give me reason to buy their respective consoles. Sony have so far, MS haven't. E3. I'm waiting.

Darth_Invidious likes this.