main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming One Step Closer (and I'm about to RROD): The Xbox One Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ezio Skywalker, May 21, 2013.

1. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Exactly. I'm glad we agree with something.

2. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    i appreciate all your help folks

3. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    According to who?

Anyways, M$ seems quite content to scuttle the one franchise - their flagship franchise, for ***** sake - that might've made me drop some dough into a XBone, so my interest in getting one is considerably diminished. Sony doesn't have the most reliable system or network either. So for time betting, I'm still sitting out on this so called next gen wave.

4. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    IGNORE POST.

5. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013

Just get a Wii U. Affordable, innovative, and above/below the attention of hackers.

6. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    The Legend of Zelda and being able to catch up on all I have missed from Nintendo after the SNES has me very interested in the Wii U and even the 3DS.

7. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    That's because they don't need to DDoS a system with servers so bad they get DoSed by high traffic.

8. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Better how? A quick google gives me an article that has some interesting technical specs:
    Xbox One has a custom 1.75GHz AMD 8-core CPU and the PS4 CPU contains a similar custom AMD 8-core CPU clocked at 1.6GHz with x86 based architecture, so the Xbox One has the faster CPU.
    Admittedly, the PS4 has a 1.84 teraflop GPU whereas the Xbox One has a 1.31 teraflop GPU.
    Both systems have 8GB RAM but the PS4 reserves 3.5GB leaving only 4.5GB for the games. The Xbox One has a reserved amount of 3GB which leaves 5GB for the games.
    Resolution doesn't really mean much as an upscaled image can look better than one that is. When upscaling you can enhance the image to make it look better, something that isn't needed with an image that's already HD. It's also not something that's easily noticeable even when the two are side by side.
    They both have the same size HDD, the only real difference is that the PS4 is user upgradable but the Xbox One isn't. The Xbox One can have external storage though, which seems more useful to me as it means you can take your games when you visit friends, but there's no such option for the PS4.
    Having used both controllers I find the Xbox One controller to be much more comfortable than the PS4 controller, but as everyone has different hands this is kind of moot.
    Kinect is also a lot more advanced than the Playstation Camera. Even the first version was more advanced with skeletal tracking for motion controls whereas the Playstation Camera relied on a glowing accessory for location tracking. It just seemed like a more expensive version of the Wiimote, and even the Wiimote didn't need a visible light to work.

If it's Indie games you want then there are more on the PS4, can't deny that. But if you're not bothered about Indie gaming then that doesn't make any difference. Even with the bigger games I can't say there's anything really that grabs me on the PS4. On the other hand, the Xbox One has Forza, Titanfall, Sunset Horizon, Halo, and I expect there'll be a new Gears of War coming out at some point too.

From what I can see, neither console is inherently better. They both seem much of a muchness with the differences balancing out to make them both better in different ways. What people should be focusing more on is what games are available for each one. What's the point in buying a console if you're only going to look at what's coming out and wishing you had the other one because there's nothing for the console you've got that you actually want? That should be way more important than whether or not a console has unnoticeably shinier graphics than the other one.

9. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I still have so much to be interested in from the last generation, that the next generation generally doesn't have much to interest me. Despite the fact I ended up with an Xbox 360 for the last generation, I am much more closely aligned with PlayStation, since I have both a PS1 and PS2, which makes me more interested the PS3 than anything from the next generation, especially when factoring in Destiny. Other than Halo, I have no reason to be interested in the Xbox One. Forza isn't a selling point when PlayStation has Gran Turismo as a suitable replacement. Though I need to give Forza a try at some point, since I do have Forza Motorsports 3, before I do something stupid like completely disregard Forza because of my history with Gran Turismo. Titanfall is meaningless to me, because everything I have heard makes it blatantly obvious it doesn't have enough content to have any longevity or a real story. You must mean Sunset Overdrive, which doesn't seem like it is my cup of tea. I have no opinion on Gears of War.

10. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Comparing on specs is pretty asinine because you'd get a PC if that was your primary concern, full stop. Comparing on specs while bracketing GPU is disingenuous as that's significantly more important to game performance than, say, a .15 GHz difference on an 8-core. Comparing on Kinects is just... I mean, wow, they took that thing out of the base system box for a reason.

Quit getting mad about corporate marketing tactics and play on your toy of choice. Yeesh.

moosemousse likes this.
  11. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    I've never been much for specs myself. As long as the product boasts features agreeable to my lifestyle then I'm happy. I'd never say that the X1 is better than the PS4 (or vice versa). I just prefer it for the multimedia features. I also use a Windows Phone because I enjoy the features Nokia brings to the device more so than I've enjoyed Galaxy or iPhone features, but I'd similarly never claim that one device is superior based on specs.

12. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    That kinda was the point I was trying to make. :p I was comparing specs only because it shows that there's actually very little between the two and that the claim of 'the PS4 is better' doesn't mean much, if anything. Even if one was significantly better in terms of hardware, it's still secondary to what games are available.

Ezio Skywalker likes this.
  13. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005

This latest consumer survey.

14. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    I find it funny that 2 is 'blu-ray player' when both consoles have a blu-ray player. Game Library and What Family Wants are important, but innovation, exclusive games and content, and fun, are also important. In short, it doesn't actually show that one console is better than the other. It just says that people want each console for different reasons.

15. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    All the puny peasant machines are awful. It just so happens to be that the PS4 is less awful than the Xbox One, and didn't have a disastrous PR campaign backing it up.

16. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    You a PC gamer?

17. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    Nope, I play on my calculator.

18. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Pfft, I play on my magic 8 ball.

19. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005

Well, yeah. It's one survey out of countless and the group represents only certain demographics, so yes, it shows this, not that.

But the overwhelming perception, according to that survey, is that the PS4 has greater resolution, whereas the X1 has a brand name. So yes, it's absolutely facetious to say it's better - and that's the point. :p

moosemousse likes this.
  20. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    I need to ask you all for a huge favour. When it comes to my Xbox One I love it. I made the right decision when I got it but there's one problem I have with it. Unlike the 360 there's no option to disable the rumble for all games by default. Most games have the option to disable it but not all of them, and if they don't have it then the rumble makes them unplayable for me. Below are links to feedback requests for this feature to be added. Can everyone go through the list and +1 them all? Share this list with everyone ever and maybe they'll add it.

http://xbox.uservoice.com/forums/25...5-ability-to-turn-off-vibration-on-controller
    http://xbox.uservoice.com/forums/25...ility-to-control-the-controller-rumble-output
    http://xbox.uservoice.com/forums/253802-home-settings/suggestions/6034542-rumble-off-option-like-360
    http://xbox.uservoice.com/forums/253802-home-settings/suggestions/6035701-controller-rumble
    http://xbox.uservoice.com/forums/251650-console-accessories/suggestions/6190770-controller-default
    http://xbox.uservoice.com/forums/25...465-accessibility-options-for-disabled-gamers

Oh, and a pretty picture:

[​IMG]

21. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    Pretty funny picture.

Why does the rumble feature bother you? I would say my main gripe about the Xbox One is that Microsoft did not initially load it with perfected features found on the Xbox 360. They've slowly but surely been incorporating Xbox 360 features onto the new console, so I imagine that a rumble option may eventually come about.

22. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    It makes me nauseous. I don't know why but it does. It's also very distracting. Some people find it adds to immersion but I just find it does the opposite, yanking me out of a game with a horrible sensation in my hands. For some it's not just that, it's also extremely painful. Most games have the option to disable it but not all do. If there is no such option in the game then it is unplayable.

23. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    I guess you have Nintendo to thank for that, what with the introduction of rumble packs for the N64. :p

24. Volderon

Volderon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2007
    Question guys, I'm buying an Xbox next weekend and I want to know if it's necessary to buy a Gold membership. I don't really play online anymore, I'm more interested in story games that I can play alone. I had a 360 and there was the silver membership. Does the One have silver still?

25. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    Gold isn't necessary, only for playing on Xbox Live. Media apps are now available for Silver members.