main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming One Step Closer (and I'm about to RROD): The Xbox One Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ezio Skywalker, May 21, 2013.

1. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Exactly. I was hoping we'd get an actual next gen gaming console. It seems we're not getting that, but rather a multi-tiered multimedia hub tied to some worthless motion-controlled gimmick that some of us (myself included) absolutely Do. Not. Care. For.

And yes, the sometimes mandatory connectivity IS an issue. Not every household or living room in America or elsewhere has internet connectivity. Maybe they can afford it or maybe they simply can't. Or maybe there isn't a reliable broadband provider in its immediate area. Thus, the Fugly Box would be an expensive paperweight if after a few days it doesn't work properly because it needs to connect to a M$ server and the user or parent who bought it wasn't aware of that fact. This is a case where M$ demands something that might be taken for granted by some consumers - but not by others - in order to make their product worthwhile and from where I'm sitting that's simply not good business.

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I will say I do actually like the "1997 DVD Player" look- but I realize I'm in the minority there. I'm just more fond of sturdy "technological" designs over iPody "gizmo" designs.

3. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    I definitely see a problem with the design. For one, Kinect itself requires a large space to use effectively (so, too bad for you New Yorkers). Second, the Xbox One console looks like it'll need a large space just to put it down.

I myself have a fairly large living room, so using the Kinect effectively isn't really a problem in my household. But sometimes I like to move my 360-S from the living room (big space with a huge TV-stand unit) to my bedroom (much smaller TV stand and very minimal Kinect space) if I'm playing before I go to bed or something. The 360-S is very light and slim and makes it easy to switch between rooms.

The Xbox One looks bigger than the original Xbox and I'm sure it's going to be a huge pain moving that device from room to room...which will restrict my gaming habits in my own household.

4. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    The entire second half of the Sony conference was dedicated to games. That's incredibly relevant to me as a gamer. People can keep saying that Microsoft will be revealing the games at E3 until they turn blue in the face. But it doesn't change the fact that the hardcore gamer base is upset with them over this reveal. Xbox TV is an interesting side feature but couldn't the reveal of the Halo TV series be a separate announcement? Couldn't the reveal have been pushed back another month so that the games that will run on the X1 will be on display?

One of the things that made the xbox 360 so appealing was its wide library of games and exclusives, same with the PS2 which *gosh* is the best selling console of all time. What isn't a deal maker when looking for a games console is the ability to access Netflix.

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  5. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    Btw, will MS have to pay some sort of royalty to sony for every console sold due to the blu ray drive?

6. Riven_JTAC

Riven_JTAC Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2011
    All-caps doesn't necessarily == acronym. It can be a stylistic thing.

Really, "SONY" in a sentence is probably best shown as "Sony," but if you look at pretty much any SONY product, all the letters are capitalized. I always type it out that way out of habit.

If you go to the company website, in a sentence or a phrase, "Sony" will be typed with only the "S" capitalized, but again, out of habit, I always type "SONY" as it is displayed on any product, in all-caps.
    Microsoft also had significantly more time to get things together. In fact, they delayed their reveal, ostensibly, because of what they saw at the PS4 reveal. Someone had to go first, and, usually, when you have a lot more time to prepare and you have already seen what your competition has done, you should be able to do better...

I am perfectly fine with the PS4 reveal having a lot for developers. They're critical to the process. One of the biggest issues with the PS3 was that it wasn't particularly developer-friendly. I like the strategy of coming right out in the reveal with the fact that that big complaint has been addressed in spades.

I can see there's a major difference in thinking between us, though. I don't care if the console is an all-in-one entertainment system. If anything, I don't want that. I buy a console because it's a gaming system, not because it rolls up other media functions into it. I want the company making the console to be overwhelmingly focused on gaming. Kotaku has an article up with some reactions from Japanese gamers and one of them made a great, great point: the Xbox One doesn't seem to be a response to SONY or Nintendo; rather, it seems to be a response to Google and Apple.

Like I said, I know I am a total SONY whore and have never liked the Xbox. But I like to think I can go about these discussions rationally. I think that the PS3 being not particularly developer-friendly harmed it, but not so much that developers really became disenfranchised with SONY. Now that SONY has remedied one of the biggest complaints about the PS3 with the way the PS4 is designed, I think developers will be a lot more willing to work closely with SONY and develop greater games for the PS4. Outside of a few good exclusives, what did the original Xbox really have over the PS2? The 360 was a watershed moment for Microsoft, and I think SONY really hurt itself and harmed its relations with some great developers because of the issues with Cell. All that time, I think developers wanted to work with SONY, but it was too difficult. I see the PS4 reversing that... uh... reversal.

Make no mistake, I was not terribly thrilled with the PS4 reveal, either, but I was pleased with several things I heard and I am very much looking forward to E3 now. I think SONY has an excellent opportunity to knock Microsoft down and increase it's lead in the public perception race right now. I want to see gaming be the absolute focus of PS4's showing at E3.

07jonesj likes this.
  7. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    So then you also type in the following fashion:
    BURGER KING
    MASS EFFECT
    TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES
    HE-MAN
    BATMAN
    THE DARK KNIGHT
    THE DARK KNIGHT RISES
    SPIDER-MAN
    STAR WARS
    LEGO
    BACK TO THE FUTURE
    TARGET
    WALMART
    Diet COKE

Annoying and very unnecessary.

8. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Since you're so enthused over it, that's easy: buy two! :p

Not sure, but it could be yet another reason why the Sony stock price went up a bit yesterday.

9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    As a follow up to my earlier comment- while I still like the look of the X1- it just dawned on me that it reminds me of something we've seen before: the Phillips CD-i (just a bit shinier).

[​IMG]

10. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    The ventilation on that looks far more tasteful than on the X1

[​IMG]

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    and, thus, history was made with the first positive comment about the CD-i to be made in over 20 years...

The X1 is already groundbreaking! ;)

12. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    Didn't Microsoft state that one of the key things with the new Kinect sensor is that it requires less space to work effectively?

I haven't watched the highlights yet, just read bits and pieces here and there and to be honest, I will likely replace my PS3 with one of these when it gives up. I don't get all the negativity...

Is the issue that this isn't going to be solely a games machine? If so, then why weren't you moaning about the 360 or PS3's media streaming capabilities?

I commented in a thread about whether the consoles market will crash and I said that I thought it would dip based on 'new gamers' or adult gamers not being able to splurge on a next gen console. A console like this suggests that this might be a solution to that problem as it brings everything together, not just gaming.

13. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    @ Invidious: Before my older 360 crashed (graphics chip failure I think), I kept it in my room and had the 360-s in the living room. Switching between consoles was kind of a pain...until I moved my profile and the save file of whatever game I was playing onto a flash drive. World of difference.

I hope that changing between X1s is as simple, but I kind of doubt it will be.

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The moment some parent realizes they just had to spend $110 on a used game they could have bought new for $60, the resulting ****storm will blot out the sun.

15. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    Didn't you even see the backlash over Microsoft's E3 appearance last year? People hated its focus on turning the 360 into a multimedia device.

[​IMG]

This is also not the only issue people have with the X1. It certainly didn't help provide good first impressions. But the nail in the coffin is what appears to be shady practices that are unhealthy for the consumer. The new xbox requires internet to work and won't allow you to play used games. Sound familiar?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm actually for consoles cracking down on used games so more revenue goes to developers- but the X1's "full price" approach is most certainly not the answer.

If that sticks I can almost guarantee you GameStop will not buy or sell used X1 games- just sell new only.

Combined with the lack of backwards compatibility and increased development costs and it will be at a severe disadvantage compared to its competitors AND predecessors.

17. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    Then stick to the online passes that give you extra missions or, if push comes to shove, access to the multiplayer. It wouldn't be so bad if video games on console weren't so disproportionately expensive when compared to PC games. Currently downloads on console storefronts are more expensive than at retail. So there isn't even a cheap, viable alternative to on disc games either.

As someone who grew up in a family that had to watch the pennies carefully to get by through life I just find it a disgrace that the only cheap source of console games are being targeted like this.

18. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    It does seem to be the case that people are hating on the multimedia features. I look at my PS2 and I see something that just plays games. It doesn't really offer anything else. I look at my 360 and I see a great console. I see it as great because it's great for playing games and because I can do more besides. I use it to watch films, stream videos from my PC, chat with friends, play with friends. Knowing that all of what I'll be doing will work flawlessly together, even if I don't use all the features, seems like a good thing.

Anyways, here's a great article. Don Mattrick defends all the features: http://www.oxm.co.uk/54581/microsof...you-really-want-an-xbox-that-ignores-the-web/

I think my biggest criticism of the Sony reveal was how much time they spent talking about the architecture. It's fine and it's a good thing they mentioned it, but it could have been done in much less time. Being dev focused should mean better games, but if the interface and the user experience is poor then it's not going to be fun to use. Showing off how quick and easy everything is on the X1 lets me know that it will be fun to use.

Ezio Skywalker likes this.
  19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The multimedia focus almost seems like it might be a smart move at first- the games rarely carry a hardware through its launch.

Initially, People didn't buy PS1 for games, they bought it as a CD player. They didn't buy a PS2 for games, they bought it as a cheap DVD player. They didn't buy a PS3 for games, they bought it as a cheap BD player. (The PS4 is at a severe disadvantage due to having no new format to leverage)

So, they're focusing on the features that will carry the system until it has games.

The only problem there is other devices already do all of that cheaper, so it won't have that edge.

IMO the solution would be unique reg codes for each game- first use registers as a new purchase. Subsequent code usage offers a used price ($15-25, depending on title) "renew" that disables the previous registration or a rental window (say, 2 days) price that is significantly lower ($3-5).

20. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    I was expecting to see some cool stuff with the new Xbox reveal but didn't see anything I liked minus the Halo TV announcement. At least the PS4 conference focused largely on games and the community surrounding it.

21. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Yeah, I had recently bought me a flash drive for the purpose of additional storage space and to backup my profile. A needless gesture since that info is stored in the M$ archives, the 360 data might've been incompatible with the X1, and to top it off, the drive was taken along with the 360 it was attached to by the worthless fraks that broke into my home. :mad:

22. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I think I'll stick with my PC for gaming, at least I only have to upgrade a few parts every few years and not fork out for a console with inferior specs and no back-compatibility

23. Jedi_Matt

Jul 11, 2002
    http://tech.uk.msn.com/gaming/xbox-one-everything-you-need-to-know-guide#image=17

Games are installed using a disc, but from thereon in everything is cloud based – once installed you won’t need the disc again (although, we’re told, if you sell a game your license to play that game from the cloud will transfer to the new owner when they install it).

Where lies the problem with pre owned games?

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk 2

24. Jedi_Matt

Jul 11, 2002
    Why would you buy separate multimedia devices when it can be centralised? Was the 360 or ps3 a god awful gaming console because it went multimedia?

How is an internet connection requirement unhealthy for the consumer?

My Sky TV box likes to be connected to the telephone line, i dont kick off about that...

Multimedia is where it is because it makes the device an easier sell and, funnily enough, is found to be useful.

Dedicated gamers can buy a pc

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk 2

Ezio Skywalker likes this.
  25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    After you buy a used game (or are given one) you will have to pay full retail price on that game to install and attach it to your account.

So, if you get it free, the game will cost you about $60 if it's recent.

If you paid any money for the used copy (ebay, Gamestop, etc), you are now paying more than full retail price to install it. Which, obviously, no one is going to do except by accident (as I said before- all it will take is one parent making that mistake before a mass media and word-of-mouth warning to parents about buying games for this system explodes).

Likewise, if you try to get a game from Red Box or GameFly, you'll still have to pay full retail price to use it.

So, this effectively means, X1 games are unlikely to be offered through any rental service, and the prospects of GameStop buying or selling used X1 titles are not good (unless they work out some kind of exclusive retail arrangement for a cut of the profits- which kind of defeats the purpose of locking out used game sales in the first place [getting that revenue to the developer/distributor]).

It depends on the product and service. A standalone device for a medium will almost always have better functionality and options than a combo device (jump back ten years- those combo VHS/DVD players were absolute crap compared to standalone VCRs and standalone DVD players).

Obviously some things can be merged due to their shared nature (Netflix, Hulu, etc)- though they are often services and not separate mediums/functions.

Because it will exclude a good deal of those consumers from either being able to use the product to begin with, or use it reliably. Not to mention notable sub-markets like the armed services (guess what system won't be having soldiers playing Call of Duty on it? X1.)

Darth_Invidious and Chewgumma like this.