main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming One Step Closer (and I'm about to RROD): The Xbox One Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ezio Skywalker, May 21, 2013.

1. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/08...nt page)&utm_content=19&utm_campaign=Blogroll

Uber is Delivering Free Copies of Madden NFL 16 Today

EA Sports and Uber have formed an unlikely alliance to deliver you a free copy of Madden NFL 16 on Xbox One a day before the game hits shelves, so that's, uh, today!
    The opportunity is open to fans across all 32 NFL cities. Though supplies are limited, entry is fairly straightforward: open the Uber app, type in the promo code* for your city, and request a copy. To make the offer sweeter, one rider from each city will be hand-delivered an ultimate Xbox One prize pack, including a console, copy of the game and more by a current or former NFL player from their favourite team. Participating athletes includes Ickey Woods, Jeremiah Trotter, Derrick Brooks, and Coby Fleener.

Promo code is on IGN's website. Probably Uber's too, but haven't checked. I'm in Philly and I've been trying off and on for the past 13 minutes (between 2 PM - 5 PM) and no luck yet!

2. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    Cortana will be coming to Xbox One this year, but you'll need a Kinect to use her services.

3. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    I'm considering getting the damn Kinect eventually. The console is obviously incomplete without it. Navigating the interface is extremely clunky with just the controller.

JediMatteus likes this.
  4. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    ? I don't have problems with the controller so much, but then I pin all my important apps to the home screen. And smartglass is really wonderful.

Nowadays I only use the Kinect to power on/off and watch tv. It is really convenient in that aspect (and, being a huge fan of Cortana on mobile and PC, I'm excited to see what she brings to the Xbox), but I would never argue that the Kinect is essential for interfacing with the console.

Edit:

During the console's first year, interfacing with the controller was kind of difficult, iirc. But Microsoft has released many updates since then to improve controller navigation. Before these, the 360 definitely outshone the X1 in terms of navigating menus.

Nowadays however, I struggle more with navigating my way through the 360. :p

5. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    Windows 10 for Xbox One rolls out this weekend for Preview Members. I imagine it being as huge an OS overhaul as the NXE OS update was for the 360.

6. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    I've read that there are already some issues being reported, like apps/games not working or otherwise becoming unresponsive.

7. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    That's why I opted out of my Preview invitation months ago. ;)

The invitation, iirc, includes a disclaimer stating the possible risks beta programs and updates have on your Xbox and, I believe, that Microsoft cannot be held 100% accountable, as subjecting your consoles to these test updates is voluntary.

Microsoft recently had a similar issue with some Windows Phones getting the Windows 10 update when only specific models are capable of running Windows 10. The installer program on these incompatible phones didn't acknowledge that the update wasn't for them and installed it automatically, thereby rendering many of them into colorful paperweights.

Microsoft is, however, working to fix this latter situation.

I'm sure they're also working on a Xbox fix too.

8. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    With regards to backwards compatibility, has anyone heard if 360 Kinect games will become available for Xbox One?

9. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    There currently aren't any Kinect games on the BC list and it wouldn't surprise me too much if there never were owing to the technical details of the hardware emulation. I'd say operate under the assumption that they won't be until one explicitly shows up on the list.

10. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    Yeah that's what I was afraid of, I guess. I have a modest library of 360 Kinect games, many of which my daughter loved to play or that I would use to entertain company. The current Kinect library leaves much to be desired by comparison.

I have my 360 set up in the bedroom, so I could still go through the inconvenience of moving it to the living room, but it would have be nice if Microsoft would include Kinect games in the BC list.

11. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
  12. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
  13. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Thanks Ramza. I honestly haven't checked, but are there currently any flash or stick drives with decent enough storage capacity in lieu of a larger HDD?

14. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Define "decent enough," I guess. Reasonable pricing ends at about 128 GB.

15. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    I guess that's decent enough for more than a couple of games. Then again, maybe a 1TB HDD will be a much better option down the road.

16. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I'd say if you're looking for installation storage space it's probably better to just get an external HDD (Plus less swapping if you need more stuff stored). Sticks are better suited to save backups.

17. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    From what I've been reading, it looks like it's almost better to move all your data from the Xbox One's internal drive and to a decent external drive, as the latter can also provide much faster load times. My biggest gripe with Witcher 3 is load times, so I'll definitely be testing out whether or not the external drive substantially reduces loading.

18. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    I hear you. The load times for GTAV/Online are often ridiculous. Superior next gen console indeed.

19. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    From what I've read, the PS4 also suffers from long load times unless you replace the internal hard drive. The PS4 also apparently produces far more noise pollution over lengthy periods of use, whereas comparisons I've read indicate that the Xbox One can go for hours on end without a whisper of noise. I suppose this latter part makes sense and was probably one of Microsoft's concerns for the console, seeing as how they intend for people to use it as a one-stop media hub.

My Xbox One is usually on all day, with maybe 8 hours of off time each day. Sometimes it's left running overnight and for a few days without a shut down, all without any hint of unwanted noise.

I was originally concerned about this (when our son was a newborn, one of us would be up all night with him and sometimes pass out with the Xbox/TV still on). But according to the Xbox website, the Xbox One was designed with the ability to keep running continuously. Not sure how valid that statement is, but so far I haven't had any issues with keeping it on.

Back to load times, I find that the Wii U doesn't suffer from long load times quite as much. A bit odd, I'd say, given that Xbox requires you to install your games to reduce load times.

20. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Well, if the plans for daily connection to the internet are any indication, then making it be able to run continuously really isn't that much of a stretch.

21. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I dunno where you got those noise stats but they're either wrong or the PS4 in question isn't in a well-ventilated area. It takes a hell of a lot to actually get that sucker's fan running.

As for load times they're dependent on a wide variety of factors that alternate HDDs can only mitigate slightly (both console OSes have some throttling on the read speed, for example). I suspect the WiiU case would come down to WiiU games simply not being as large, what with the system taking a half size proprietary format.

GTAV is a rubbish benchmark title because it's designed to load one big chunk with minor to no loading afterwards, but yes, that initial boot is a bit rough.

22. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    I was actually thinking that the reason for the relatively swift Wii U load times is because the games are probably smaller. I mean, if I do play my Wii U, it's for Mario or Smash Bros. Certainly not something as elaborate as Witcher 3.

23. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    A bit rough? That's an understatement. Especially considering the bloody thing is completely installed in the console. I dunno if it's because of XBL, the port itself or the recent updates, but the load times jumping in and out of GTA:eek: sessions, missions or even switching from story to online (and viceversa) sometimes seem to be exceedingly long. I think the main culprit is the Heists update but I've no idea how that has behaved across the other platforms. Regardless, as gorgeous as the Xbone version looks, the online experience is a mixed bag at times.

I cannot conceive leaving the thing on continuously. Besides energy consumption, I just don't see what good it can do to leave it on when not in use. Especially late at night when it becomes one expensive nightlite in one empty room.

24. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    I wouldn't advocate leaving it on continuously. Not because the console couldn't handle unending hours of operation, but indeed because of the energy consumption. Well, that and the fact that I don't know whether or not the Kinect was designed for continuous, unending hours of operation. :p

25. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    Got an email from Microsoft saying that Disney Movies Anywhere are now available for Xbox Video/Microsoft Movies synching. All you have to do is enter the Disney Rewards code from any Disney bluray that you've purchased and the movie becomes available for download or streaming on Xbox/Windows devices and apps. My digital library just doubled in size.