main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming One Step Closer (and I'm about to RROD): The Xbox One Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ezio Skywalker, May 21, 2013.

1. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    1 - I hadn't picked that up about the used games, I guess it's in that video I haven't watched yet? :D
    2 - That didn't stop either the PS3 or 360 selling by the truck load. I know what you're saying and I agree... with those combi devices if, say, the VHS function failed it could bork the entire device, but this isn't really the case with these devices as it's duality is primarily down to software functionality rather than hardware. I doubt the Xbox 1 would fail because you couldn't plug your Sky / Cable box into the HDMI-in port, for instance, or if your Kinect sensor fell in a flowerpot.
    3 - I hadn't thought of that particular sub-market, but then if the PS4 has the same sort of function going on (will it?) then you're stuffed either way... mobile device tethering is an option though.

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    AFAIK the PS4 doesn't have the "your system must connect to the internet once every 24 hours to work" requirement (or one along similar lines).

TrandoJedi likes this.
  3. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    But we're also not sure about the details about that with the Xbox One - nothing concrete has been confirmed, and stuff on Rev3Games suggests that perhaps Microsoft is wholly aware of the storm that's a-brewing and are in spin mode to fix things.

4. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    "Always on," non-removable HD, no backward compatibility, punishing people for buying used-- man, if I wanted to buy an underpowered device made by a needlessly controlling company, I'd just get a Mac.

5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    This is pretty hilarious, but I can't embed it due to the language (WARNING): http://i.minus.com/iBzvb2JSpQNRM.gif

EDIT- and carrying on with our song title/console thread tradition... ::tweaks::

6. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I am seriously starting to wonder if there isn't something in the water in Redmond, Washington, first Windows 8 abandons the desktop for a touch optimized interface, and now the Xbox One is apparently going to be the most draconian console ever developed.

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  7. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Speaking of Windows 8, I was half expecting Microsoft to push Xbox-Windows integration or something like that. Or even "Buy Xbox, get Windows 8 half-off" or something like that. They mentioned that a Windows kernel was part of the next Xbox's OS, for web-browsing or something, but... well, most game consoles have had a web browser for years now anyway. Usually not a great one, but still.

What's kind of odd is all the mixed messages going on. Its a new console, so everyone wants news, E3 is in a few weeks so they're saving up a lot for their show (honestly, its times like these I'm glad Nintendo isn't bothering with a conference anymore), but a lot of the news doesn't sound good, or at the very least its all confusing and some of it is conflicting too. Partially its because of how little of substance they actually said at the show, especially gamer wise. Yes, we saw the actual console, controller and Kinect and they listed the hardware (not that most people, including myself, have any idea how powerful or weak it is) but its worrying that there are so many new restrictions. And without that many game announcements (more Forza, EA sports, same as ever), everybody is just focusing on the details (as they should). They had better pull their PR department together by E3. And then there's the all-important price point, probably another big announcement saved for E3.

8. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    Sorry, what exactly do you mean?

9. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
  10. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    How I wish I could figure out how each and every country is represented :p

11. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    It's funny, I don't remember anyone official saying preowned games having a fee that is the same as full retail price. All references to fees were that it's small and that there wouldn't be one on preowned games.

Jedi_Matt likes this.
  12. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    This close to E3 I figured Microsoft would be better prepared but considering how the presentation went off it... wasn't perfect. Then again, what presentation is, but this seems to be one of the weaker ones. Sony had their presentation months ago, although theirs didn't have the actual console but more game info, but Microsoft's showed off the console and required Kinect but somehow seemed less interesting in terms of games. It is close to E3, a bigger venue for this kind of announcement, but first impressions are important and so far... its not going that great, but we'll see.

Hard to tell what fees there are or won't be, I have a hard time keeping track of all the articles. Online passes seem so simple in comparison, as a means for the developers to get some money out of used games, but that's probably not enough anymore (since EA gave up on those already).

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    http://kotaku.com/you-will-be-able-to-trade-xbox-one-games-online-micros-509140825

"Here's how the system works: when you buy an Xbox One game, you'll get a unique code that you enter when you install that game. You'll have to connect to the Internet in order to authorize that code, and the code can only be used once. Once you use it, that game will then be linked to your Xbox Live account. "It sits on your harddrive and you have permission to play that game as long as you’d like," Harrison said.

But what if you want to bring a game disc to a friend's house and play there [NOTE: without signing into your profile, ie: lending it to a friend]? You'll have to pay a fee—and not just some sort of activation fee, but the actual price of that game—in order to use a game's code on a friend's account. Think of it like a new game, Harrison said.

"The bits that are on that disc, you can give it to your friend and they can install it on an Xbox One," he said. "They would then have to purchase the right to play that game through Xbox Live."

"They would be paying the same price we paid, or less?" we asked.

"Let’s assume it’s a new game, so the answer is yes, it will be the same price," Harrison said.

To be fair, in that same article they just revealed there will be a way to trade games online through XBL (though they didn't say for what-points, etc).

14. DarkEagle

DarkEagle Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 10, 2009
    Crackdown 3? (bottom left)
    [​IMG]

If they weren't going to talk about games at this conference (waiting for E3, etc), they should have at least shown a slideshow/montage of titles or at least development studios followed by "stay tuned for E3" or something. That way, they reassure gamers that "we have stuff for you" and give them something to speculate on and build excitement.... as opposed to the very little we got.

15. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Ah, yeah, I never visit kotaku. I wonder why that wasn't reported on where I have looked. It's not hard to get around that though. You simply visit your friend and sign in with your account. As Major Nelson said: "Another piece of clarification around playing games at a friend’s house – should you choose to play your game at your friend’s house, there is no fee to play that game while you are signed in to your profile."

16. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    That's great if your friend has an internet connection. But if he doesn't or you are borrowing from a friend then you are kind of screwed. I can't let my little brother borrow any of my games or gift him games I have no use for anymore. Despite owning a product Microsoft is dictating to me what I can and can't do with it. It's pathetically draconian.

17. Jedi_Matt

Jul 11, 2002
    Not really ^^^

Your non-connected Xbox won't be aware of the original installation, or won't even be able to check anyway.

Installing might be a problem though... Lol

18. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    Are you seriously telling me you don't see the issue in a system that has mandatory installations having issues installing?o_O And it wouldn't be that hard to hide a game behind a pay wall even offline. Dragon Age's on disc DLC was hidden behind a pay wall even when not connected to the internet.

19. Jedi_Matt

Jul 11, 2002
    You can sign in to your profile without being online on the 360, right?

Perhaps you'll be able to do the same?

20. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    If it's a gift then it'd probably be covered by the 'no fee for used games' thing. I don't think it's worth speculating the worst though as we don't know all the details.

Jedi_Matt likes this.
  21. Jedi_Matt

Jul 11, 2002
    I agree ^^

I don't understand the negativity based on not much information...

22. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    Where has it been said there is no fee for used games? All that Microsoft have come out and said is that trading in and playing second hand games is possible. Not that it doesn't incur a fee.

Riddle me this. If there wasn't a fee for used games why would you need to sign into your own profile when playing a game on a friend's console?

23. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Because there's a fee for borrowed games. And yes, it is a different scenario. You haven't sold it so it's a game you still own. Your friend hasn't bought it so it isn't a game he's bought used. You're just playing a game you own on a different system. You have to sign in because the new system won't know you own it until you do.

24. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    That makes no sense. How does a disc tell the difference between being borrowed and being purchased second hand?

25. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    Good call. Paragons of awful journalism is what they are.