main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends One Sword Rising (LOTF, post-Exile, Jaina-centric) Updated 8/30 - Nominated!! Thanks everybody!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by loneastronomer, Mar 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Very cool :cool:

2. Solo_and_Fel

Solo_and_Fel Jedi Master star 3

Apr 19, 2004
    Back and all caught up!

This was my favourite line: The galaxy was fragile as spun sugar already.
    So true.

3. loneastronomer

loneastronomer Jedi Youngling

Feb 20, 2005
    Hello everybody! I'm back (again!). Have you all checked out the new cover art? I'm a novice, really, but I like the way Jaina turned out, at least.

NYCitygurl: Re: the disco smiley: You are too cute. I am going to try to bring in Wes, Wedge, and Hobbie as much as possible - as well as other Rogues and Wraiths - but sometimes they just don't squish in the way I wish they would. So, we'll see.

Luke certainly has some tough choices to face. I hope he'll do better here than he does in canon. ;)

G__Anakin: Thanks! Here's hoping I can keep it up.

TelannaTani: You know what they say: when it rains, it pours. ;) Glad you're still with us.

Jade_Pilot: Aww, shucks. You're making me blush!

padawanlost: I just have to say that's one of the best lines ever attributed to Wedge Antilles, anywhere. Thanks! That's a real compliment, since Wedge has some of the best lines in the whole EU.

Jaina's going to need all the help she can get. Fortunately she's the distressing damsel kind and not the other kind.

you actually remember the Solo's had twins. They DID? Now that's funny, because I only ever seem to read about one sibling at a time - and I'm not innocent of this; in case anyone hadn't noticed that Jacen is not a major character except when he's being talked about.

There's a reason for that - I actually just hate who he's become that much.

Emerald_Lady: I promise you Zekk has his reasons, like everyone else does. You won't be disappointed!

Solo_and_Fel: Welcome back! That was one of my favourite lines, too.

Anyway, let's get on with it, shall we? What the heck chapter is this? Oh yeah.

Chapter 14

?You're going to decide, collectively, that there isn't anything you can do,? she told him, not bothering to resist the urge to put her feet up on the low table.

Luke Skywalker gazed at her levelly. ?We are??

Jaina shrugged. ?Here's what will happen. First, someone will point out that while we all know Ben is telling the truth, he could be exaggerating or misinterpreting his vision, and we don't have any concrete proof that Jacen is working with the Sith. Then someone will suggest that it doesn't matter if we have proof, we're Jedi and supposed to be above reproach, never mind governing our own. That we should take Jacen to task on the torture and murder he's dealt out without restraint. Which, by the way, he will only claim was not done in his capacity as a Jedi, and therefore is none of our concern.

?But once we go through the options of doing that, we're going to decide a few things. First, we're going to discover that no one is brave enough to confront him on his own. Second, that he is too slippery to admit he's done anything wrong. Third, that because he is so far beyond reproach and reason, because he is already so steeped in the ways of the Sith, we cannot move against him as one unit.?

?If that were true,? Luke wanted to know, ?Why wouldn't we be able to move against him? Assuming that's what we decided we wanted to do.?

Jaina leaned forward, a bitter taste in her mouth. ?History repeats itself, Uncle Luke. That's why. If we speak out against him now it'll be Order 66 all over again. Maybe you haven't accepted that yet, but I have. Jacen's associated with Lumiya and Alema, who were both very definitely involved in the deaths of at least two Jedi who probably discovered that connection. You're going to decide to do nothing. And that means that one man has become more powerful than the entire Jedi Council.? She gave the words a moment to sink in.

Luke was quiet for a few long heartbeats, face impassive, but hands slightly curled. Jaina watched him struggle to reject her predictions. Finally he put his head in his hands, massaging his eyes. ?Forty years I've tried to lead the Jedi and it just keeps getting harder. I wasn't cut out for this.?

?You're a fighter,? Jaina told him, ?same as me. So you understand why I'm resigning.?

He looked up at her in surprise. ?Jaina-?

?I've mad

4. Jade_Pilot

Jade_Pilot Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2005
    Great update! I'm surprised by Jaina's move, but I'm sure she has a plan!

Bravo! =D=

5. padawanlost

padawanlost Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 16, 2006
    This is an interesting development... Force sensetive vonduum crab armor, and villips.

Luke took Jaina's news pretty well. I'm wondering if he's going to really take Jaina up on her offer- I hope so!

Great update. I can't wait to see what happens next.

=D=

6. TelannaTani

TelannaTani Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 28, 2005
    Fantastic update!

I love Jaina?s logic and her decision to leave the order. While it pains me to think of her further separated from the Order ? and by extension, part of her family ? but at this point, it?s the only way to do what must be done and preserve what has been built. And I love that Luke was willing, but hesitant to just jump in with the Resistance. As she said, it does ?run in the family.? I hope he makes the right decision ? I think he?ll be pleasantly surprised by who all is a part of it!

As for the YV development, this could have fascinating repercussions! Hopefully they?ll be able to adapt to this unexpected change and still be able to use it in their efforts. Either way, I think this will turn out to be a positive thing!!

Love it, and can?t wait for more! [face_love]
    Voz

7. JainaRox

JainaRox Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 23, 2006
    Add me to the P.M list. Awesome fic. I love Jaina!!!
    JR

8. Emerald_Lady

Emerald_Lady Jedi Master star 3

Dec 18, 2006
    I promise you Zekk has his reasons, like everyone else does. You won't be disappointed!

Thanks. :)[:D]

btw, I keep forgetting to ask...did you give up on the "Recommended Listening" thing? I kind of liked it. :)

?You're going to decide, collectively, that there isn't anything you can do,? she told him, not bothering to resist the urge to put her feet up on the low table.

[face_laugh] Oh, this is awesome. It's Jaina bravado at its best.

You're going to decide to do nothing. And that means that one man has become more powerful than the entire Jedi Council.?

It's so depressing because she's so right. The Council will do nothing, and everyone involved with it knows it.

?You're a fighter,? Jaina told him, ?same as me. So you understand why I'm resigning.?

I like the moment of identification between them. I can't say I saw the resignation coming, but it almost seems inevitable within the context of the story.

Her smile was humourless. ?Runs in the family. There's not many of us, but that's what we are. You can bring Mara and Ben with you, if you like.?

Well, she might as well carry on the family tradition. It's good of her to still try to be friends with Luke.

She felt it flowing, whispering around her. ?It will be.?

*grins in anticipation*

Stunned, Jaina sat there for a moment, staring at the nutrient frame. Was such a thing possible? Could it be that after all of these years, Sekot had created Force-sensitive semi-sentient beings?

Whoa. Now that's interesting. :eek:

?Then what? You obviously woke me for a reason,? Tahiri teased. ?Out with it. Did one of your ridiculous suitors propose? It was Zekk, wasn't it.?

[face_laugh] I love Tahiri's view of the whole Jaina-and-her-boytoys situation.

Great update! I'm looking forward to seeing where Jaina's rebellion goes, and what Sekot has to do with it. :D

9. Solo_and_Fel

Apr 19, 2004
    Uh oh. What's up with Sekot?

10. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    A shorter post, but very good :) I love Jaina's speech to Luke -- she absolutely nailed an entire Council meeting in a couple minutes. Glad to see she's got some sense :)

I love Tahiri's reaction to Jaina's call [face_laugh] Zekk proposing, indeed . . . please don't let him [face_praying]

And Sekot's reaction in very interesting. It didn't do anything during the Clone Wars, or the Rebellion, or hell, even during the Yuuzhan Vong war, but now it finds Jacen as a huge threat. That doesn't bode well :(

I'm glad that Jaina told Luke about the rebellion :) I like the way you described it -- not a rebellion against either side, but against the war itself. Hopefully he and Mara -- and Ben, because he could be a really great character here and joining only helps -- will sign up, if unofficially.

Sorry I'm so late with this; I was out of town for a couple weeks.

Glad you like the dancing face :D

11. cheersweetie27

cheersweetie27 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 20, 2003
    more soon please?! [face_praying]

12. loneastronomer

Feb 20, 2005
    Hi guys! Thanks for being so patient with this. I've been working 50+ hours a week, which temporarily dried up my creative juices. But I'm back!

As some of you may know, I've been nominated for a couple of really cool FFAs which makes me giggle and blush like a pre-teen. Oh, the good old days! Thank you all so, so much. Talk about an ego boost!

Jade_Pilot - Jaina always has a plan. It's not always a good plan... or a well thought out plan... but she always has one! Although I don't know if that assuages your worries at all.

padawanlost - It was something that hadn't been done, but could throw things for a loop, so I took a chance. Hopefully it turns out ok.

I personally think Luke is so fed up with... well... everything that he's probably considering mutiny, if not homicide. We'll see how he handles it!

TelannaTani - Thanks!

The way I see canon as it is right now, Jaina needs to be separated from her family in order to bring them back together. I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees it that way!
    Fantastic update!

Sorry this took so long! DRL... you know how it is.

JainaRox - added! I love Jaina too, what a coincidence! Glad to have you on board.

Emerald_Lady - I actually lost my Recommended Listening list, but just for you... I'm adding one for this chapter. :)

It's so depressing because she's so right. The Council will do nothing, and everyone involved with it knows it.

Which means it's essentially pointless to have one. Ughhhhh. :S No-win situation.

I love Tahiri's view of the whole Jaina-and-her-boytoys situation.

Funny, because it frustrates me in canon, but it is so much fun and so easy to write that I just can't resist. I imagine Jaina probably gets a lot of flack about it.

:D

Solo_and_Fel - you'll see!

NYCitygurl - you totally deserve the credit for prompting this update... cheers!

I have a feeling that it's inevitable some people will be let down with any resolution in Jaina's love interest. Should I just leave you guys hanging? :p It's going to be impossible to please everyone... I shudder to think what will happen if there's a resolution in canon... It'll be like Harry/Hermione 'shippers vs. Hermione/Ron 'shippers... maybe we should all go into hiding....

t didn't do anything during the Clone Wars, or the Rebellion, or hell, even during the Yuuzhan Vong war, but now it finds Jacen as a huge threat. That doesn't bode well

Well, you're partly right. It did do something during the YV war, and it repelled the invasion the first time, right? (or am I misreading wookieepedia?) Anyway, more in depth on that in this chapter.

cheersweetie27 - coming right up :)

THANK YOU, EVERYONE, for sticking with me for this long. I hope you've enjoyed yourselves as much as I have.

Chapter Fifteen: Long Road
    Suggested Listening - "The Boxer" - Simon & Garfunkel

And now, Jaina thought, to explain the failure in her plans to Jag. Well, not failure, exactly. Unexpected obstacle was more like it. And it wasn't like it was his plan. She hadn't even wanted to tell him about it in the first place, and had only done so because of the pressure ? from all sides ? to get a better read on Jacen.

Maybe Jag would have some kind of insight, she thought, unconvinced but unable to let go of that sliver of hope. He'd proved before that his Force-blindness wasn't always a detriment to his ways of thinking and reasoning.

It was worth a shot, anyway.

This time, the call took even longer to connect. Jaina was about to give up when she heard a familiar voice say, ?Fel, here.?

There was rather more than the average background noise, but nothing was showing up on the visual. ?It's me. We've got a slight problem.? She paused, narrowing her eyes at his face. ?Are you drunk??

?Not yet,? he answered wryly. ?Not for Wes' lack of trying. He keeps asking about you.? There was a slight thunk and Jag flinched. ?Ow! What do you need??

Briefly, Jaina explained the details of

13. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    [:D]

?You mean like ten to one Corran's fouled six times in the first period.?

?Ooh, you'd be good at this game.?

[face_laugh] [face_laugh] I love that :D Jag must be having a great time -- I know I would :D

Great post!! I like the conversation between Jaina and Ben; it was really sweet, and a little sad.

As for the love triangle thing . . . as a reader who loves Jaina and Jag as a couple, I think you should slowly phase Zekk out and start to put Jaina and Jag together. However, from a not I'm-hanging-on-to-every-word reader/fangirl :p I think that if your story benefits from not ending anything, let it caryy on. By the same token, though, don't use it as a way to keep your readers on the edge; make sure it really benefits the story itself.

14. loneastronomer

Feb 20, 2005
    Yeah, I see where you're coming from - I wouldn't change the couple I've been leaning towards, but I haven't decided how far they're going to get. I mean, I've got there in the planning stages, but sometimes it doesn't come out that way when you write it. And there's sooo much further to go!

15. Jade_Pilot

Jade_Pilot Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2005
    ?I thought you knew better than to invite a bunch of pilots back to your suite??

Note to Jag: When X-Wing pilots come looking for a place to stay say: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! [face_laugh]

Terrific update and congrats on your nom!!! =D=

16. Solo_and_Fel

Apr 19, 2004
    Welcome back and congrats on your noms!

The smashball thing was pretty amusing.

And I stil eagerly await what is going on with the armor/Sekot!

17. padawanlost

padawanlost Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 16, 2006
    Nice to have an update. Loved the smashball commets. I think we've found a sporting event I'd watch.

Good to have Ben trying to do his part, and it will be good if Jaina knows how to disappear. Spying on Jacen is still going to be risky.

I can't wait to see what happens on Zonama Sekot, and hope to have another update soon.

Congratulations on your well-deserved nomination!

=D=

18. Emerald_Lady

Dec 18, 2006
    I actually lost my Recommended Listening list, but just for you... I'm adding one for this chapter.

Aww, thanks! [:D]

Suggested Listening - "The Boxer" - Simon & Garfunkel

Ooo, good song. :)

He'd proved before that his Force-blindness wasn't always a detriment to his ways of thinking and reasoning.

Good to know that the lesser mortals can still help out once in a while. ;)

She paused as a crash sounded in the background. ?I thought you knew better than to invite a bunch of pilots back to your suite??

lol Apparently not. [face_mischief]

?They started a smashball league,? he said. ?Only there aren't really any rules, and they're the ones playing ? plus Wedge, Corran, a couple of other retired pilots?

It sounds like the ex-fighter-pilot version of Calvinball. :D

It's truly terrifying to watch, and Booster's letting us have half the profits from the betting that's going on.?

?You mean like ten to one Corran's fouled six times in the first period.?

?Ooh, you'd be good at this game.?

[face_laugh]

Ben did so cautiously, eyes never leaving her face. She felt an almost grim satisfaction that he was not about to trust her so quickly, easily and blindly as he had her brother.

I really like the way you write the interaction between Ben and Jaina here. :)

?Good.? That made one of them.

Jaina?s relief at not having to explain something she doesn?t understand herself is particularly believable, especially under the circumstances.

Floored, it was all Jaina could do not to show her surprise. ?Okay,? she agreed readily. ?What are we waiting for??

Aww, I?m having warm-fuzzy flashbacks to YJK Jaina. :)

She could not count on mercy from him from this point on.

That was okay. She wasn't feeling particularly merciful, either.

[face_devil]

The entire jungle was alive in the Force, and not just the way jungles on Yavin IV or other tropical planets were alive. This one sang, in five-part harmony, with full orchestral support.

I really like this description. As usual, you?ve done a great job with the characterization and imagery. =D=

19. loneastronomer

Feb 20, 2005
    Hi guys! Back again. I'm short on time this time around (it's my birthday and I'm going over to the boyfriend's for cheesecake), but I promise I'll get to the replies ASAP. In the meantime, here is chapter sixteen. Enjoy!!

Chapter 16: The Unexpected Ally
    Suggested Listening: Already Gone - The Eagles

They turned into one of the organically grown buildings, and Jaina stopped short.

From the outside, the building was tiny, hardly any larger than a single family housing structure on the more moderately populated of planets. Once inside, however, she could see that the floor had been excavated away, and for several stories downwards she could see tiered platforms built into the sides of the dirt walls, each shelving a single, unique unit that was oddly familiar in design.

?Stars,? she said dazedly as the bottom dropped out of her stomach. What in the nine Corellian hells was going on?

She realized she must have spoken aloud when Danni answered from beside her. ?We asked ourselves the same question. You can feel the planet calling, can't you??

Jaina nodded numbly, her gaze travelling upwards now, to where a group of suspended villips had arranged themselves in a rough, dark sphere that seemed to radiate menace.

?Well, the Yuuzhan Vong feel it ten times stronger,? Danni said, ?and they know what it's saying, I guess. They've been working with Sekot to get us ready... although I'm not sure what for.?

The dark sphere above her seemed to pulse with malevolent energy. Though it was only a virtual replica of the original, Jaina couldn't help but shiver. ?Bet I can guess.?

Briefly, she filled them in on Ben's journey to Ziost.

?But I don't understand why this is happening now. Why not fifteen years ago? Why now? Weren't we in more trouble then??

Tahiri looked thoughtful. ?Maybe Sekot didn't sense the Yuuzhan Vong as a threat.?

?It did the first time,? Danni noted, which Jaina thought was a fair point.

?Maybe it needed time to recover,? Tahiri said. ?Remember what it was like when we first found it??

Nothing like it was now, Jaina had to admit. Sure, it had been lush and vibrant, but it had the sense of one just getting over a serious injury. ?Yeah. Not much sentient life.?

?Well, it has it now. And expert attention. That's probably why it's able to react like this. Fifteen years ago, Sekot sensed a threat, but there wasn't much it could do. Now, Sekot sees a threat ? and has a solid core of people who understand Zonama's most intricate secrets to help it prepare.?

Jaina exhaled slowly, releasing a breath she hadn't realized she'd been holding. ?So. Sekot is building an armada.?

?More like a complement of starfighters,? Danni corrected, peering down the pit. ?Realistically, less than half of them will ever fly. Sekot's scared, and there are too many seed partners trying to form ships without mates for them all to be guided properly.?

?It's more like an evac fleet,? Tahiri said with a shake of her head. ?They're built for speed, not fighting.?

It was then that Jaina finally felt, under the throbbing pulse of the living world around her, the steady, unforgiving undercurrent of fear.

?The shipyards have stopped selling, of course,? Danni said, shrugging. ?They can't guarantee quality at a time like this. Not only are the seed partners in a frenzy, but if Sekot has to move, the offworld ships could die.?

?This is chaos,? Jaina murmured, beginning a slow walk around the perimeter of the pit, staring up at the image of the Sith vessel.

?You should see the armouries,? Tahiri sighed. ?They're just experimental, you know. Or they were. Now I don't know what to expect any time I go in there.?

?This whole place is experimental,? Jaina pointed out, finding her way to a small alcove and peering inside. On the walls, a few seed partners perched and chirped and chittered forlornly. She winced slightly, recalling, suddenly vividly, how devastated she had been so many years ago, when none of the seed partners had bonded with her. The other two women trailed her at a distance. ?Th

20. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Happy birthday!!! [:D] I'm going to read in a sec, but I just wanted to say that and how happy I am about a long post :D

Great post!!! The Sekot stuff was really interesting. I love Kyp :D Don't like that Zekk's coming back [face_plain] Poor Ben!!! [:D]

Jag = [face_laugh] + [face_love] Pleeeeese let him be the one with Jaina!!!

21. G__Anakin

G__Anakin Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2006
    Great job!

22. JainaRox

JainaRox Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 23, 2006
    LoL great one!!!
    Thanks,
    JR

23. Emerald_Lady

Dec 18, 2006
    Adhering to her legs and arms in various places were no fewer than four seed partners. She closed her eyes and really felt them, bright and devoted and afraid.

?Well,? she said, as much to her new friends as to anyone else, ?I guess I'm stuck here.?

Does this make up for not getting a seed partner the first time? ;)

Zekk's voice came over loud and clear. ?Hey, Jaina. Room for a few more??

?Bribe me.? By which, of course, she meant: what the hell happened? Can't I leave you alone for two days without some kind of catastrophe....?

[face_laugh] But SQUEE! Zekk's back! :D

She knew the answer before she ever heard his voice. ?Miss me, Goddess??

She could almost see Zekk and Ben rolling their eyes. ?How's it going, Kyp??

lol The picture of Zekk and Ben rolling their eyes just makes it even funnier. :)

Jaina shuddered. ?No. Thank the Force. I don't think I can deal with another man who doesn't know what he wants.?

?Your life would be a lot easier if you decided what you wanted,? Danni pointed out.

That's quite a parting shot Danni's got. [face_mischief]

There would be a good deal of satisfaction in watching Kyp and Zekk beat the snot out of each other. It would definitely be cathartic.

I'd buy tickets. =P~ I'd rather watch them teaming up to rid the galaxy of evil, etc., but I'll take what I can get. [face_mischief]

?Shouldn't you be making some kind of contact with the rest of the rebel scum??

[face_laugh]

?Probably,? she sighed, wondering why Kyp and Zekk had chosen to meet her here instead of the more connected Errant Venture. Maybe Ben's presence had something to do with it.

Maybe they were stalking her again.

lol I doubt it, although the idea of Zekk and Kyp tag-teaming Jaina is rather amusing. ;)

?Send him my love,? said Tahiri saucily.

Good girl. [face_mischief]

?Just try and keep a low profile.? Han Solo, Wedge Antilles, Luke Skywalker, Leia Organa... try to keep a low profile. Right. Poor Jag.

I'm inclined to agree with that assessment, especially since he didn't even volunteer for the job.

?Don't call my uncle a has-been.?

There were a few amused, mixed-up seconds when they tried to reconcile themselves to the idea of essentially sharing an uncle.

lol Then they'd be cousins, and things would be really awkward. ;)

?The boys will be here any minute. Say a little prayer for my sanity.?

?Too late for that,? he quipped. ?Fel out.?

[face_laugh]

Great update! :D I especially liked the humor in this one. And, of course, the return of Zekk. [face_whistling][face_batting]

24. loneastronomer

Feb 20, 2005
    Hi guys! I've got a few minutes for lunch at work so I thought: Why not do your author replies, Kait? So here they are.

NYCitygurl: I love that grin Jag must be having a great time -- I know I would grin

That's why it's so great that Jag's been kicked around a lot in canon. He is now ready for everything. Including partying with pilots twice his age that could probably still drink him under the table. ;)

I like the conversation between Jaina and Ben; it was really sweet, and a little sad.

Thanks - I've been meaning to write them in more scenes together, but it's not easy (as you can tell by the fact that I'm not even sure they've met in canon). I wonder how different Ben would've been if Jaina had trained him, instead....

Jade_Pilot: ?I thought you knew better than to invite a bunch of pilots back to your suite??

Note to Jag: When X-Wing pilots come looking for a place to stay say: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Terrific update and congrats on your nom!!

Thanks! Poor Jag. Almost feel bad for him, but it's so much fun to make him be in charge of people he has no hope of controlling. ;)

Solo_and_Fel Welcome back and congrats on your noms!

Thank you! Couldn't have done it without you. :)

And I still eagerly await what is going on with the armor/Sekot!

Well, I hope I answered some - but not ALL - of those questions in chapter 16. :)

padawanlost: Nice to have an update.

Yeah... sorry, this whole working for a living thing kinda blows!! Not as easy to blow off work as school or homework... damn. ;)

Loved the smashball commets. I think we've found a sporting event I'd watch.

Especially given the players? ;)

Congratulations on your well-deserved nomination!

Thank you! I was floating on air for a whole week when I heard, I was that flattered. :D

Emerald_Lady: OMG Calvinball. YES.

That warm fuzzy flashback was on purpose. ;) Glad you liked it - it made me happy too.

I'm going to have to get the rest later, since my boss seems anxious for me to get back to work EVEN THOUGH I still have five minutes and have been pseudo working through the lunch I don't get paid for. AH well.

Thanks again, everyone, for your support on this project. It's been great times and even though I don't expect to win any awards, the nominations gave me a big warm fuzzy that is still going on. I couldn't have done it without you!

ETA: Home now and I've got a few more minutes!

Continuing with NYCitygirl (mark two):

Happy birthday!!! Thanks! I'm getting to be an old woman! LOL

The Sekot stuff was really interesting. I love Kyp - wait, what? I thought you were rooting for Jag. ;) Just kidding. Kyp is entertaining. Zekk's a good guy too though [face_shame_on_you].

G__Anakin: Thanks!

JainaRox: Thank you! And you're welcome! :oops:

Emerald_Lady (mark two): Does this make up for not getting a seed partner the first time?

You caught me. That made me sad. I think she kind of got gypped, because everyone knows she's an amazing pilot... pouring salt on the wound, if you ask me.

That's quite a parting shot Danni's got.

If I was Danni I'd be pretty friggin' jealous. ;)

Then they'd be cousins, and things would be really awkward.

Yeah... ew. [face_worried]

Glad the humour works for you - it tends to be present in some situations and conspicuously absent in others... I've just written a few scenes from a much later chapter that are extremely not funny. Oh well. Thanks again for commenting.

Have a good night, everybody!

25. loneastronomer

Feb 20, 2005
    Hi everybody! Ready for chapter seventeen? :)

This chapter's title, like so many, is drawn right from the song -

"Little sister, just remember
    As you wander through the blue
    The little kite that you sent flying
    On a sunny afternoon
    Made of something light as nothing
    Made of joy that matters too
    How the little dreams we dream
    Are all we can really do"

Jaina's dreaming again, but, well, she's not exactly sharing. Yet.

Chapter 17: Little Sister
    Suggested Listening: Kite Song ? Patti Griffin

The stolen Jedi shuttle touched down on Zonama Sekot a few hours before local sunset. It felt strange to be waiting for it wearing the grey jumpsuit instead of her more customary robes, but not bad, exactly. She just wasn't used to it.

Jaina's stomach twisted nervously as she waited. She couldn't tell much about their condition through the Force; she knew Zekk was sad and Ben was upset, but Kyp was strangely quiet. That was off-putting. And Ben's turmoil was just... well. She felt for him. She felt what he felt ? betrayal, yes, and shock, and fear ? but underneath all of that: pure, emotional agony. Ben was heartbroken.

Finally, the ramp lowered, revealing the three Jedi standing on the other side, Ben in the middle. Jaina's relief at seeing him whole and hale was overwhelming, and before she knew what had happened the two of them were locked in a tight hug.

?I'm sorry,? she said fiercely, barely registering that her once baby-cousin was now nearly nose to nose with her. There were tears in her eyes, so she closed them. ?I shouldn't have asked you to do that, Ben, it wasn't fair of me, I'm sorry-?

?Shut up,? he said into her shoulder, sounding suspiciously sniffly. ?Shut up, do you think I want him to kill you instead??

Ben. Stars, she'd missed him. She should have been there for him when he was growing up, should have taken the time to get to know him earlier. Jaina made a mental note to redouble her efforts now.

Gradually, their hold on each other loosened, and Jaina took a step back, swiping at her eyes in an irritated fashion. Get a grip, Jaina. What are you, going soft? ?Well,? she said to the other two, eyes lingering for a moment on Zekk, who was standing somewhat awkwardly and had a nasty blister just visible above the neck of his robes, ?You're just about in time for the show.? She wondered idly if Kyp had taken care of his ship, or if it had been abandoned.

Ben looked curiously at the seed partners. ?What are those??

?Starship seeds,? Kyp told him.

?They grow ships here?? Ben said. ?Astral! Can I have one??

Teenagers, Jaina thought with a smile, her regret and sadness fading. ?Maybe if you ask very nicely.? She rolled her eyes at Kyp. ?Did you have to encourage him??

Kyp raised his eyebrows. Yes, Jaina inferred, feeling her cheeks flush slightly in guilt. She wouldn't begrudge Ben any happiness or interest he might find here ? in fact, she would go out of her way to encourage him to be a normal teenage boy. ?You guys want a tour?? she asked impishly. ?Danni and Tahiri had some errands they wanted you to do.?

At her covert wink, Ben regarded her curiously, but decided to play along. ?This is where the villip choirs are grown??

?Yep,? Jaina told him. ?Which reminds me, I'll need yours to be sent along for digital recording.? Ben duly handed over his villip, as did Kyp. ?We're also doing some new and very cool experimental stuff. And you'll see the starships, of course.?

Jaina spent the majority of the remaining daylight hours taking the other three Jedi through the compound she'd called home for the past few days, introducing them to the danger monitors, the amphistaff fields, and the shipyard, finally dropping off the villips to be recorded when they reached the swamp where they bred. Finally, they visited ?armoury? (actually a boggy marsh next to a warehouse) where the vonduun crabs were grown.

?Have you guessed your errand yet?? Jaina asked lightly, giving Zekk her most winning smile.

He groaned. ?That's why

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.