main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

One thing (of many) that has been achieved excellently in the PT...

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by barnsthefatjedi, Jun 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. barnsthefatjedi

barnsthefatjedi Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 17, 2001
    ...is showing old people (Dooku, Sidious, Yoda mainly) fighting energetically and acrobatically without it looking ridiculous. The fact that they draw their strength from the Force is surprisingly easy to believe and buy into. It feels entirely natural. Never once while watching Dooku fight did I think it was ridiculous that this old man was doing all this stuff and defeating these young warriors.

I don't really have a point to make; I'm simply making an observation about something which if you hadn't seen it for yourself, you might think was a bit absurd and unbelievable...and yet it works so perfectly in the films.

2. BLACKJEBUS

BLACKJEBUS Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 9, 2002
    Never thought of that.

But now that you mention it, it is pretty cool.

3. Sabertrader

Sabertrader Jedi Master star 1

Jul 28, 2002
    It's a thread like this that may draw out the ANH duel thing again ;)

As far as this topic goes, I wholeheartedly agree with the poster's comments! (quietly muttering to self about how Obi should have been moving/fighting more like that in ANH, but hopeful for a fix :)

4. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I would agree with you if it wasn't for the use of CGI force-flips. I totally bought Yoda's acrobats, but I thought Dooku and Palpatine flipping through the air really served no purpose other than looking awkward.

5. theBluePhoenix

theBluePhoenix Jedi Master star 3

Jan 4, 2001
    I agree that the old folks kick butt convincingly; however, you?re acting like this is the first movie in which that is done. X-Men, X2, and LOTR feature older characters that are very powerful and believable. Of course there are the countless Hong Kong karate movies with the old master who kicks major butt.

6. barnsthefatjedi

barnsthefatjedi Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 17, 2001
    That is true. Although X-Men (don't know about X-men 2) and LOTR is more about the magical power rather than the physical side of things. And quite often in these kung fu films, the old masters seem lean and fit for their age.

Palpatine and Dooku do not look like they spend 3 hours in a gym five times a week. :p

7. UltimateJustin

UltimateJustin Jedi Youngling

Jun 7, 2005
    When the jedi attack Dooku in epII they really didnt want him to get away so they got really crunk and flipped around trying to kill him, just like when Yoda was fighting the Emperor. In fights like those they were doing their best to really make people dead, but I think its different when Obi-Won and Vader meet in epIV. I dont think they need to move all fast and furiously, they are having a sword fight. They are both moving at the same pace, either one could die, if ony of them started to flip out and go nuts I'm sure the other would match it to keep up.

8. LordRevan19

LordRevan19 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 26, 2005
    Sweet, good job.

Good Stuff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.