main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT One thing you would change about the OT?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by TwinSunset, Sep 21, 2016.

1. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    Before the duel with Obi-Wan I meant.

2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The theory is probably that, the moment Vader said of Leia "She may yet be of some use to us" - he'd already concluded that people on the Falcon would attempt to rescue Leia - and so, Vader deliberately set everything up after the scan crew failed to detect them, to ensure that they'd get off the Falcon safely, discover Leia's existence, successfully rescue her, and successfully get onto the Falcon and off the Death Star.

Every stormtrooper in the area being ordered to aim to miss any intruders, to pursue them in the direction of the bays without actually catching them, and so forth.

3. Encuentro

Encuentro Jedi Master star 2

Aug 8, 2013
  4. Lukers

Lukers Jedi Master star 1

Jun 16, 2016
    Without anything too drastic (as ideally, I'd like for the original storyline of finding Luke's sister to be put in the script but that would deviate the whole plot of the movie), I'd probably take less of the load off of Endor. The Ewoks and the fight there is fine but it is constantly undermining the tension of the space battle and the duel between Darth Vader and Luke Skywalker. I'd include more scenes with Luke/Vader/The Emperor as they were easily the best part of the movie for me.

5. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Yep, swap Ewoks for Wookies.

6. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Ewoks definitely. And by that I mean more Ewoks. Start by replacing Han with Paploo.

Gamiel likes this.
  7. PodracingSkywalker

PodracingSkywalker Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 1, 2014
  8. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Ewoks for Wookiees definitely.

I don't like that Leia is Lukes sister, it seems forced (pardon the pun). However it makes a great pay off when Vader is taunting Luke on the Death Star.

I don't think they should have had a second Death Star. Its too much of a rehash from the original.

Make the originals lightsaber fight a bit more dynamic.

The space slug in Empire I think is unnecessary, just monsters in a cave (in addition to Mynocks) could have been better.

9. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    Not to much I would change except for Luke's nooo in ESB. Maybe not remove the line itself but I would have tried to get a better take from Hamil.

Sarge likes this.
  10. Ord Sorrell

Ord Sorrell Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 16, 2016
    1) Boba Fett's death..He should have died in a proper shootout with Han Solo

2) Put Yub Nub & the original Jabbas palace songs back, the new ones are horrid!

3) Lucas should have gone back and rendered a much larger Rebel attack fleet at the first Deathstar, I mean much larger. And the same with the battle of Endor. In a galaxy that has the industry and resources to build two planet sized space stations, you'd think Imperial/Rebel/Republic fleets would be larger.

4) They should have written a better destruct sequence for the first Deathstar. Two well placed proton torpedos destroy a planet sized space station? Were their engineers extremely brain damaged? I mean really?... There must have been a better way to destroy the first Deathstar. The only good to come out of that trench run sequence ending the entire deathstar, were the early vector graphics star wars games. Don't get me wrong, loved the trench sequence, hated that it destroyed the Deathstar.

11. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    4) spoiler warning.

Spoiler below.

That question will be addressed in R1 !!!!!!!

Encuentro likes this.
  12. Judge Lazar

Judge Lazar Jedi Youngling

Oct 17, 2016
    The positioning of the bridge and lack of redundant systems on the Super Star Destroyer in ROTJ. You mean to tell me that the Empire's most advanced war ship has to
    A: Have windows instead of just some form of video monitors
    B: Be located in such a vulnerable spot instead of deep within the bowels of the ship
    C: Have no redundant deflector shield

Not to mention why the hell was it inside the gravity well of the Death Star in the first place.

Darth Basin and Ord Sorrell like this.
  13. Ord Sorrell

Oct 16, 2016
    Oh man, that always rubs me the wrong way when I watch ROTJ!... Or in the least have a 2nd bridge for emergency control of the ship should the first be compromised...

It seems all of the Empires super-sized ships and weapons have one weakness that's incredibly easy to exploit...

which is why in the Star Wars universe in MY head... I slightly alter the movies and technology

14. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Realistically, yes, Executor should have had multiple backup systems. I try to justify it in my head by assuming Vader wanted absolute unquestioned control of his flagship and had overrides hardwired into the bridge so he could always take full control, and that prevented the backups from saving the day. I'm open to better ideas...

DarthJaceus likes this.
  15. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
    Good 1 Sarge!

16. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012

In Incredible Cross Sections: TFA, for the Resurgent-class, a point was made of how the First Order recognized certain vulnerabilities in the Executors and fixed them for their ship - giving it a proper secondary bridge.

DarthJaceus and Ord Sorrell like this.
  17. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
    And a smaller "look at me! I'm a huge target! I mean main tower."

Iron_lord likes this.
  18. moreorless12

moreorless12 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2016
    Nah this remains one of my favourite sections of the OT, Luke, Han and Leia all get great character moments in it and I think Jabba and co whilst you could arguably slightly goofy don't go too far down that road(as I think TFA does) and maintain a strong menance.

Slave girl Leia as well I think only really became sexist when the studio/media got hold of it, what we see on screen is scumbag Jabba looking to turn Leia into a concubine and likely humiliate her as much as possible only for her to turn the tables and strangle him to death.

I think its more of an issue that Leia's arc doesn't really go anywhere that new after that point, we get the reveal that she's Luke's sister but generally its a repeat of the romance with Han, not that this doesn't still have good chemistry but I think she could have been given more to do, maybe have Luke reveal she's his sister a bit early and give her some basic training that could be used to help destroy the shield generator?

Lady_Skywalker87 likes this.
  19. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    I would change the cave duel on Dagobah so that the phantom Vader/Luke stands there for several more seconds clawing at the air above its shoulders trying to locate the head that's just departed from them, a la
    Mrs Voorhees at the end of the Friday The 13th (1980)

20. Lazy_Ewok

Lazy_Ewok Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 21, 2016
    I would probably replace the Ewoks with Wokees if it is about just one thing that we can mention here.

21. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
    Whoa Keys?

22. misfit.terran

misfit.terran Jedi Padawan

Oct 24, 2016
    Luke and Leia has a special way of mind communicate with each other because they are siblings, they use it in TESB where Luke is hanging from an antenna outside cloud city.

Darth Basin likes this.
  23. Encuentro

Encuentro Jedi Master star 2

Aug 8, 2013
    Based on the fact that they kissed in Empire, it seems pretty clear that Lucas had absolutely no intention of Luke and Leia being siblings. Leia didn't have to be Luke's sister in order to be Force sensitive. It would have been an interesting character arc for Leia if it turned out she were Force sensitive without being Luke's sister. It's an arc that could have been pursued in Jedi. There was no need for Leia and Luke to be siblings. The other hope that Yoda referenced in Empire should have been Anakin.

24. Ord Sorrell

Oct 16, 2016
    I often wondered if Lucas changed his intent as you say and wrote them in as siblings after the fact.. OR.. if he wasn't sure that Star Wars would be the huge hit it ended up becoming, so just in case no sequels ever came to manifest.... he had them flirt and show affection to fill that need the audience have to see romance/love triangles within adventure

Master of None and Encuentro like this.
  25. PaulWrightyThen

PaulWrightyThen Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 11, 2016
    No Death Star II