main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT One thing you would change about the OT?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by TwinSunset, Sep 21, 2016.

1. ATMachine

ATMachine Jedi Master star 4

Feb 27, 2007
    Unfortunately I don't think Alec Guinness would take GL up on any requests for redubbing. Unless you're seriously proposing getting another voice actor to redo Guinness' lines?

2. darthtimetraveller

darthtimetraveller Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 9, 2015
    With the technology today, I'm sure they could figure out a way to do it. It's cheezy that Ben calls him "Darth" knowing the truth given the personal circumstances of their confrontation on the DS1. The "I am your Father" surptise of ESB doesn't hold any weight anymore with the audience. It would be a reasonable change, along with adding a little more action to that particular showdown.

3. ATMachine

Feb 27, 2007
    In my view, no change to the theatrical SW films is reasonable.

TK327 and Encuentro like this.
  4. Encuentro

Encuentro Jedi Master star 2

Aug 8, 2013
    I agree. If there has to be an altered version, it should exist alongside the unaltered version as is the case with just about every director's cut or altered version of a film.

TK327 and ATMachine like this.
  5. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    A cliche by now I guess, but the Ewoks for Wookies..

Avnar likes this.
  6. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    Keep Vader's "Bring my shuttle" line from TESB. GL changed it in the SE for some reason.

Write a plausible ending for Boba Fett in ROTJ. Either he survives or is killed while actively engaged in battle. Have Chewie shoot him, whatever, but blind Han accidentally knocking him into the Sarlaac pit is lame.

7. darthtimetraveller

darthtimetraveller Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 9, 2015

Agreed.

ATMachine likes this.
  8. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    Sarge wrote

Realistically, yes, Executor should have had multiple backup systems. I try to justify it in my head by assuming Vader wanted absolute unquestioned control of his flagship and had overrides hardwired into the bridge so he could always take full control, and that prevented the backups from saving the day. I'm open to better ideas...

Vader probably and already knew he wasn't going to stay on the Emperor's super Star Destroyer for the duration of the battle. The way I look at it, some Rebel agents had probably managed to sabotage the anti-collision failsafe mechanism of the SSD, that would usually take the crippled ship away from any kind of battle so that the emergency backups would get some time to substitute the loss of the command bridge complex.

I concur, from a realistic point of view the command bridge complex should be deep inside the ship, but perhaps Palpatine felt the commanding officers would ultimately be more efficient if their lives were in constant danger...self-preservation can be very motivating... [face_skull]

9. ATMachine

Feb 27, 2007
    Star Trek ships have the same problem. During pre-production on TNG, the designers of the Enterprise-D wanted to put the bridge in the center of the saucer, to avoid exactly the sort of attack the Rebels use in ROTJ. Gene Roddenberry nixed this, on the grounds that putting the bridge on top of the saucer as a scale reference made it easier for the audience to believe the ship was really a giant multi-story space vessel rather than a 10-foot wood-and-plastic model. :p

(Twenty years before Roddenberry had this same argument with Matt Jefferies on TOS, who suggested that the original 1701 shouldn't have exterior windows at all. Here too the needs of TV won out over vacuum aerodynamics.)

Sarge likes this.
  10. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Keep the Han/Leia banter, cut the awful romance and more on the wider Rebellion.

11. Encuentro

Encuentro Jedi Master star 2

Aug 8, 2013
    There should have been done tension between Han and Lando that needed to be worked out over the course of the film. Having Han and Lando work together in the cockpit of the Millennium Falcon would have been a nice way to work that out. Han could have been flying the Falcon during the Endor battle. Let's face it. An entire Star Wars film with Han and the Falcon in which Han doesn't actually fly the Falcon is just plain silly. Lando could have been his co-pilot. Chewie could have been on Endor helping Leia.

Sarge likes this.
  12. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    ATMachine

I remember it a bit differently. Andrew Probert (designer of the TNG Enterprise) stated that Roddenberry felt, that if the ship fell under heavy fire and were destroyed it wouldn't matter where the bridge were located. Obviously, Roddenbery wasn't that concerned with "trivial" treknological considerations. ;)

13. Finland Skywalker

Finland Skywalker Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 13, 2016
    I hated Luke and Leia's romance.

14. Zejo the Jedi

Zejo the Jedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 16, 2016
    2 things : ANH duel and Ewoks.

15. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    Remove fart and/or burp jokes. Sorry George, it's not really funny.

Avnar, DarthCricketer and Sarge like this.
  16. Bob the X-Winger

Bob the X-Winger Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 8, 2016
    If their is one aspect I would change it would be giving Han, Leia and Chewbacca special suits when they got out of the Millennium Falcon although I have reconciled that being deep within the Asteroid they did not require full space suits to keep them warm the Asteroid itself might have generated sufficient heat to cover them when they got out.

Lt. Hija likes this.
  17. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    Luke seems too happy while killing enemy pilots.

Leia is treated as merely a love interest after she is rescued (sorry, i know she's a role model, I just think she should have more to do in the later part of the trilogy)

Han sexually harasses Leia and she gives in

Iron_lord and Anakin.Skywalker like this.
  18. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    Well, the Empire had murdered the two people he considered his family, so I couldn't possibly blame him for holding a grudge, and we don't know what he thought about the Death Star just murdering millions of Alderaanian citizens in the blink of an eye.

But I'm not convinced, he's excited about killing enemy pilots when he's at the Falcon's gunport, always looked to me that he was more excited what kind of (newfound) skills he had, he hadn't been previously aware of.

Sarge likes this.
  19. JesterHead1651

JesterHead1651 Jedi Master star 1

Apr 14, 2004

dislike!

20. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    You dislike that he had less screentime, or that he should have more?

21. Vaapad Master Daeg Tynan

Vaapad Master Daeg Tynan Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 22, 2013

Not necessarily what you see when looking at the bridge of a modern day destroyer or aircraft carrier.... however I do agree that the audience is led to believe that a single A wing crashing into the bridge downed the ship - however if you remember the earlier dialogue Ackbar instructs all fighter groups and cap ships to concentrate fire power on the super star destroyer.

22. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    Bumbling Stormtroopers. I'd make them far more competent and ruthless.

Anakin.Skywalker likes this.
  23. Anakin.Skywalker

Anakin.Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2016
    The whole Jabba's palace ordeal, including the Leia bikini. Yuk!

24. Zejo the Jedi

Zejo the Jedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 16, 2016
    :(

25. Anakin.Skywalker

Anakin.Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2016
    Dude, why is that sad?

Don't you tell me you like the Leia Bikini outfit. I've heard way too much of that!