main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT One thing you would change about the OT?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by TwinSunset, Sep 21, 2016.

1. Azure_Angelus

Azure_Angelus Jedi Master star 1

Sep 13, 2008
    Seriously?!

2. Anakin.Skywalker

Anakin.Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2016
    My god! My thoughts exactly!

Azure_Angelus likes this.
  3. DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ Chosen One star 8

Jan 8, 2005
    Leaving out whether I like Leia's bikini or not (I don't), this is Jabba. He's got female slaves that he keeps around for entertainment and eye candy. He doesn't view Leia as a Rebellion General or a Princess or anything other than a piece of meat. Would you rather he dress her in an Amish dress? o_O

Sarge and Anakin.Skywalker like this.
  4. Zejo the Jedi

Zejo the Jedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 16, 2016
    Of course i liked it, bro, c'mon :p

Sarge likes this.
  5. Azure_Angelus

Sep 13, 2008
    What would I change? Okay, I'd eliminate all traces of Luke/Leia potential romance. The scene in which Han asks Luke if a guy like him (Han) has any chance with a princess, I'd have Luke reply "Of course. I can definitely see that happening", followed by both of them chuckling.

In fact, you know what? I'd make Luke less of a dork, full stop. That includes that ridiculous outfit and haircut

It goes without saying that the lightsabre scenes would be better, but I'll say it anyway.

A lot of the dialogue would be tweaked.

I'd make the stormtrooper armour look more "realistic", like in TFA and R1. For some reason, there was something "costume-y" about them in the old movies, whereas in the current ones it looks more like actual armour. I can't quite place what it is. Same goes for Vader.

6. Azure_Angelus

Sep 13, 2008

What's the matter with people these days? I've even heard people say they dislike the original Ghostbusters movies because Peter Venkman was "creepy" and "rapey". I honestly don't see what was bad about Han's approach.

DarthIshyZ likes this.
  7. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    To some people these days, if you don't ask a girl via a written letter out 3 weeks in advance, have it notarized en triplicate, you've committed rape and must face castration.

DarthIshyZ and Azure_Angelus like this.
  8. Anakin.Skywalker

Oct 11, 2016
    It would be preferable. :p

Zejo the Jedi

P.S. Dude, I'm a girl [face_laugh]

Emperor Ferus and Azure_Angelus

I didn't mean to be harsh or really criticize with what I said. I was just surprised it was seen that way. I didn't meant to discount what anyone said. I mean well...just ask DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ likes this.
  9. DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ Chosen One star 8

Jan 8, 2005
    @Zejo the Jedi, @Emperor Ferus and @Azure_Angelus
    I know her from the Sith Empire thread. She's mouthy that way. ;)

BTW, the only things I would change off the top of my head:
    1. Make it so that there was more forethought in ANH. Like the confusion over whether Darth was his first name or title.
    2. Those tonsils on the singer in Jabba's palace. What was he thinking???

10. Vaapad Master Daeg Tynan

Vaapad Master Daeg Tynan Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 22, 2013
    That one always bothered me too... It's not clear until much later that "Darth" is a title and not part of his proper name... I would've figured that GL would've already had that worked out and had incorporated it more appropriately into the script...

Of course, if he had called him "Anakin" it would've ruined the whole reveal in ESB, but in the grand scheme of things would've been much more antagonistic for ObiWan, and a fantastic jab....

DarthIshyZ likes this.
  11. Encuentro

Encuentro Jedi Master star 2

Aug 8, 2013
    I believe that Darth Vader was intended to be his name, hence Ben telling Luke that Darth Vader was a pupil of his before he turned to evil. I don't believe that Darth Vader was intended to be anybody other than Darth Vader when Star Wars was filmed.

12. Vaapad Master Daeg Tynan

Oct 22, 2013

Do you have any references to support that statement? I realize the story was in flux right up until filming but I wasn't under the impression that Darth Vader was considered a name at anytime - but a title and a name... I could very well be wrong - just looking to see if you have any source material I could look into...

13. Encuentro

Encuentro Jedi Master star 2

Aug 8, 2013
    I don't. It's a belief based on the fact that Ben called Vader "Darth" twice during the duel and the fact that Ben told Luke that Darth Vader was a pupil of his. I do recall hearing Lucas say that he was debating whether or not to have Vader revealed as Luke's father when working on Empire. I believe the clip is in the Empire of Dreams documentary, but I'm not certain.

14. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    I think exactly that about peter Venkman. I know these movies are good and many people have enjoyed them for years, but we need to be honest and not let the dark side cloud our minds.

Iron_lord and Anakin.Skywalker like this.
  15. Berry Kenobi

Berry Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 20, 2015
    Nothing at all. These are the movies that I grew up with and I like them all. To change them into something else would just ruin the whole saga for me. This is what we got and this is what we should cherish

16. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    1. Discuss the topic and not each other.

2. I am quite certain everyone here is capable of discussing Han's behavior towards Leia without expressing disdain for the idea of consent.

I personally had no real problem with the Han/Leia scenes in question and would not change them but I also recognize that the standards for 20th century characters are different than those for 21st century characters, and what would fly then, might not now.

There is a whole thread about this somewhere.

17. Anakin.Skywalker

Oct 11, 2016

Hey! [face_laugh]

DarthIshyZ likes this.
  18. Subtext Mining

Subtext Mining Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2016
    Ah, this guy beat me to it! He did a good job.

The Ewoks being in RotJ couldn't have been a more perfect masterstroke.

As well as Leia being Luke's sister and Palpatine creating a second Death Star. Perhaps I'll make videos on that.

19. Zejo the Jedi

Nov 16, 2016
    The idea behind it was great (not Ewoks), but the execution was laughable.

Sarge likes this.
  20. Pyrogenic

Pyrogenic Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2006
    Farcical, even. I love it when filmmakers deliberately imitate something that even they consciously know most people will find stupid.

21. Subtext Mining

Subtext Mining Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2016
    I'm not sure I understand that sentence. But no need to get off topic, which is my fault - this doesn't seem to be a thread for counterpoints to people's things they would change. Perhaps there is a thread on defense of the Ewoks we could continue in, if you so desire.

22. Zejo the Jedi

Nov 16, 2016
    I liked the idea of technologically inferior group defeating the Empire, but it should be some other race, not Ewoks.

23. Vaapad Master Daeg Tynan

Oct 22, 2013
    I'd have left Declan Mulholland as Jabba and not replaced him with the Hutt.... :p

24. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    Realized there is one particular line of dialogue, I'd really like to change.

After the Falcon has vanished from the Avenger's screens in ESB, Captain Needa orders his shuttle to be readied so he can assume responsibility and meet Lord Vader. How long did it take him to shuttle over to the Executor? He's executed and next Admiral Piett tells Lord Vader that "if the Millennium Falcon went into lightspeed, it would be on the other side of the galaxy by now."

Considering they are probably still in the outer edges of the Granida Cluster (with the Hoth and Anoat System), that would make jumps into hyperspace so effective, that you're anywhere within an hour.

Made the galaxy unnecessary small and hyperspace technology to be way too efficient, IMHO.

25. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    By the time of TESB, Leia has known Han for about three years. She's no fool, and can see that, for all of his swagger and seeming cycnicism, he's actually something of a lapsed idealist, and truly has some nobility left in his heart. So, she falls for his real self, not the self he tries to present to the world.

Besides, if she thought he was being serious with his behavior, she'd have clobbered him.