main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT One thing you would change about the OT?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by TwinSunset, Sep 21, 2016.

1. Bob the X-Winger

Bob the X-Winger Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 8, 2016
    I'll tell you what people one item of ANH makes no sense to me. When Solo jumps down the Garbage chute after Luke he instantly fires his weapon which ricochets off the wall just as Luke & Leia cries out to stop that they already tried that. Yet they could not have because the time it takes for Luke to go down the chute and get up and fire is too short before Solo arrives. I conveniently put it down to the force is strong in Luke and Leia they knew already that the laser fire would do that.

2. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    He didn't get a medal. He did control the scene though. Growl, rebels turn. Growl, rebels applaud. Growl, end the movie.

Anakin.Skywalker and Sarge like this.
  3. Nanaki

Nanaki Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 5, 2016
    That reminds me, give Chewie the medal. What's the point of standing front and center at an awards ceremony if you're not going to get an award?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

4. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    In the comics, he does at least.

5. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    In the novel he gets one, too. Leia had to stretch to put it around his neck.

6. Subtext Mining

Subtext Mining Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2016
    In the new Chewbacca comic, if I recall correctly, it explains that Wookiee culture does not condone the giving or acceptance of awards for acts of war.

He still accepted the medal for the Battle of Yavin, but chose not to wear it during the ceremony. He ended up giving it to a clansman shortly afterward.
    (Someone correct me, I seem to remember he gave it to the son of a fallen comrade).

7. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012

According to Wookieepedia, it was a kid called Zarro that he gave the medal to - and it was a bandolier that he gave to a Wookiee child (the article says the child was his) shortly afterwards:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Chewbacca

Can't see any references to Wookiee culture not condoning war awards though. Might have to check the comic itself.

Subtext Mining likes this.
  8. Ambervikings91

Ambervikings91 Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 1, 2012
    In the original film the cantina scene costumes look silly, I'd like to fix that

9. Zejo the Jedi

Zejo the Jedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 16, 2016
    :(

10. JediMasterSven

JediMasterSven Jedi Master star 3

Apr 21, 2014
    Leia's line when Luke reveals they are brother and sister...the whole "I know...somehow, I've always known" would be deleted. I think the scene would be much more effective if she is in stunned silence as she is just learning that her real father is her sworn enemy and her best friend is her brother....and more over...she has the Power of the Force.

Darth Dnej and Zejo the Jedi like this.
  11. Ambervikings91

Ambervikings91 Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 1, 2012
    Ha, why the sad face? Don't you think it looked kinda dated in a not so great way?

12. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    Remove the Luke and Leia kiss on Hoth. I can think of other things I would want changed or added, but that's the big one.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  13. Zejo the Jedi

Zejo the Jedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 16, 2016
    I think they look great and it would be a shame to "fix" cinema history.

Sarge and Lt. Hija like this.
  14. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    Bob the X-Winger wrote

I'll tell you what people one item of ANH makes no sense to me. When Solo jumps down the Garbage chute after Luke he instantly fires his weapon which ricochets off the wall just as Luke & Leia cries out to stop that they already tried that. Yet they could not have because the time it takes for Luke to go down the chute and get up and fire is too short before Solo arrives. I conveniently put it down to the force is strong in Luke and Leia they knew already that the laser fire would do that.

...and especially since everybody else already stands on their own feet, I have to concur.

However, we don't know what happened between Solo jumping into the garbage chute and landing in the trash compactor. Theoretically, his fall time might have been 'extended' by a regulating door just closing his chute because other garbage arrived, holding him inside the shaft a litlle longer.

Bob the X-Winger likes this.
  15. E2-ED2

E2-ED2 Jedi Youngling

Dec 17, 2016
    Leia and Luke being siblings was unnecessary.

Encuentro and Darth Dnej like this.
  16. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998

Totally agree. I hate the CGI monstrosity that replaced the wolfman. Wolfman was cool; I wish he had more story than just that one in Tales From the Mos Eisley Cantina.

Lt. Hija likes this.
  17. Prequel_Rubbish

Prequel_Rubbish Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 5, 2014
    Honestly the only thing I would change would be the Ewoks beating the Imperial troops with sticks and rocks. I don't mind having them in the movie, and I like a lot of the Ewok scenes, but give them some blasters or something. At least try to find a storyline that is realistic and not lazy.

18. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    We saw one Ewok with a blaster:

[​IMG]

though admittedly he didn't fire it.

Lt. Hija likes this.
  19. dsematsu

dsematsu Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 6, 2013
    It was absolutely necessary. Luke's brotherly love for Leia is what ignited his rage in the end of RotJ. To hear his father talk about how he would corrupt his daughter, Luke's sister, was the fuel that provided Luke the ability to win. If she wasn't his sister, Luke wouldn't be thinking about her, and Vader would have failed in his provocation. It is a recurring theme in Star Wars that Jedi are only driven to hatred when family is hurt or threatened (which is why such attachment is forbidden.)

Subtext Mining likes this.
  20. E2-ED2

E2-ED2 Jedi Youngling

Dec 17, 2016
    I understand what you're saying it makes sense. The rage nearly tipped him over the edge because Leia was threatened.

Either remove the kiss from TESB or personally I would have liked to have seen a new character introduced...a sister being held captive or turning up dramatically to help the Rebellion.

21. BadCane

BadCane Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2015
    Boba going out like a punk.

Nanaki likes this.
  22. beedubaya

beedubaya Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 15, 2014
    The top thing is I would have liked to have seen a faster, more intense lightsaber fight between Darth Vader and Obi-Wan aboard the Death Star. It wouldn't have to be on the level of the prequel duels, but something at least as impressive as Darth Vader vs Luke in Empire Strike Back.

The real reason for the slow fight as that at the time that ANH was filmed, lightsabers, when ignited, were supposed to be very heavy (this was changed in later films). Also, the choreography simply wasn't good for that fight.

The old in-universe explanation that a machine and an old man were fighting doesn't hold water anymore considering Vader's lightsaber performance in Rogue One.