main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends One Way or Another - Mara Future Fic challenge response - Mara, OC

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by VaderLVR64, Nov 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Title: One Way or Another
    Author: VaderLVR64
    Characters: Mara, OC
    Summary: When a granddaughter needs reassurance, Mara gives it the only way she knows how.
    Note #1: Written for the Mara Future Fic challenge. These were the guidelines -
    Write a fic portraying Mara alive in the Post-LotF timeframe (42+ ABY) that includes all or part of the quote: "You're an idiot. You can't stop from touching the Force any more than you can stop breathing." (MJS - Legacy #11: Return to Ossus)
    Note #2: This fic refers to an OC and events that originally appeared in the following work: The Lyghte Chronicles and there is a passing mention of an OC from Not on the Schedule

One Way or Another

Mara watched with amusement as her granddaughter wandered around the room, idly touching things here and there, rearranging them to her satisfaction, and carefully refusing to look at her grandmother. It was apparent that something was bothering the girl. It was equally obvious that she was still working up her nerve to talk about it.

Content to let the girl speak when she was ready, Mara silently took a sip of her caf and contemplated her grandchild. Jadia?s bright red hair glimmered in the soft lights of the room, and Mara swallowed a laugh when she saw Jadia scowling out the window.

She sensed that whatever was bothering Jadia, she was about to find out because her granddaughter would not be able to hold it in much longer.

Mara waited. Twice, Jadia opened her mouth to speak ? and twice she closed it without saying a word. Perhaps a gentle prompt was needed, Mara mused.

?You seem restless today,? Mara observed quietly and Jadia turned dark green eyes her way and shrugged.

Patting the seat beside her, Mara invited the girl to join her. ?Come here,? she said. ?It seems ages since I?ve had you all to myself.?

Jadia Skywalker reminded Mara very much of herself, a resemblance that was often noted and remarked on during family gatherings, especially when Jadia was demonstrating her considerable willfulness. It seemed right that she looked like her paternal grandmother as well. They understood each other and shared an easy camaraderie that Mara treasured.

?I?ve been busy,? Jadia replied.

?I heard you?ve been somewhat?determined in your efforts to attract the attention of a boy,? Mara recalled with a smile that she tried to restrain.

To Mara?s surprise, the girl blushed and looked deliberately at her feet for a long moment. Not much struck Jadia silent, much less embarrassed. This was getting more and more interesting. ?I can?t help it that he?s being a gundark?s behind,? the Jadia finally said in her own defense.

?He?s male,? Mara noted, though if even half of what her son had told her, the boy had every right to be wary around Jadia. The fact that he hadn?t said something cruel to her granddaughter convinced Mara that he must be a decent sort. ?They tend to do that.?

?Tell me about it,? Jadia snorted. Then she looked up at her grandmother and two pairs of almost identical green eyes locked. ?How come some beings can feel the Force and others can?t??

The question seemed to surprise the girl as much as it did the woman and for a moment there was only silence. ?I don?t know,? Mara admitted. ?I guess that?s just one more mystery of the Force.? Then she smiled and brushed back a strand of fiery hair from the girl?s pale forehead. ?Maybe it?s not one we?re supposed to solve.?

That answer apparently did not satisfy Jadia, who looked both thoughtful and frustrated. ?But everyone in our family feels it,? she noted.

?So far,? Mara said with a shrug. ?We don?t know what the future holds.?

?But we do,? Jadia persisted. ?All of us.?

?You come from a rather impressive bloodline of Force sensitives,? Mara reminded her. ?But the ability to feel the Force doesn?t make us special really. It just gives us?opportunities?.? She smiled and

2. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    I didn't think it was possible for me to hate a certain EU event any more than I already did, but reading this, I think I do even more--for what they've taken from Mara! (Up till now I've been angry over what was taken from us, you see.) ;)

Anyway, this was lovely. Grandma!Mara is perfect and that little girl is certainly a Skywalker-Jade. [face_laugh] I love that it's a continuation of sorts to your Ben and Megiria fics. I love that 'universe'! [face_love]

3. Myriad_Daydreams

Myriad_Daydreams Jedi Master star 4

Jun 22, 2007
    Awwww, Vader! That was adorable! By the end of this fic, I had the biggest grin on my face, because this was absolutely wonderful! In addition, now I hate Del Rey even more for killing Mara! :mad: I think this fic should be counted as canon! [face_laugh] Jadia sounds adorable, and I LOVE Mara as a grandmother [face_love]. Great job!!! =D=

?They still walk around holding hands and kissing and stuff,? Jadia noted with disdain. ?It?s gross.?

?I still kiss your grandfather,? Mara told her.

?Ugh,? Jadia said, shaking her head. ?Don?t remind me.?

[face_laugh] How typical of a 9-year old! Cute!

4. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    That was adorable. I really liked Mara as a grandmother and I thought that Jadia's knowing that she'd marry that boy someday was sweet and so like Anakin's own dilemma.

Great job. Loved it.

5. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    That was absolutely gorgeous!

I loved Mara's understanding of the angst poor Jadia was going through. Her gentle reassuring was beautiful

[face_love] [face_love] [face_love] [face_love]

Jadia pulled back, clearly unconvinced that Luke Skywalker could be anything less than perfect.

So am I! [face_not_talking][face_not_talking][face_not_talking]

:p

Great response to the challenge

=D= =D= =D= =D=

6. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Jadia sounds adorable!!!! Ben and Megira .... how terrific!!! This was splentabular!!! Grandma Mara is as adorable and lovable and saucy as she is in all her other roles, as wife, mother, mentor, and friend. :*

Yes, Vadey is the queen of the happy-nondysfunctional-Skywalker AU!!! I treasure these .... very much!!!
    HUGS!

7. Irish_Jedi_Jade

Irish_Jedi_Jade Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2007
    Awwww.....!!!!! That was spectacular! I loooovvveeee grandma!Mara, she's sooo....HER, but a grandma! (Lol, does that make sense?)

Either ways, that was a beautiful response and her advice was right on! Jadia...soo pretty!

=D= =D= =D= =D= =D=

8. SilSolo

SilSolo Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2004
    melikes grandma mara

9. madman007

madman007 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 22, 2007
    That was sweet and elegant, Vader! It seemed so realistic that it should be considered canon. And we don't have to hate a certain publishing company that shall be nameless because it would be too indescreet to mention(delrey). We only have to ignore it and create our own. After reading some of the fan fics here (especially this one), it seems that the fans' imaginations can run circles around any of the profic writers who are slaves to a corporation telling them what to write. I have come to the conclusion that my two favorite passions, baseball and Star Wars, have both succumbed to the business of money.

Sorry, I digress. This is to be a review. And Bravo, Vader! You've managed to turn the epic into a fable.

10. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    I [face_love] Grandma Mara!

Wonderful challenge response! Any chance to read or even read about Ben/Megira is a treat. :D I think this is very much how an elder Mara would be. [:D]

Loved it! =D=

11. MarasFire

MarasFire Jedi Master star 4

Jun 14, 2007
    Grandma Mara and Jadia are so stinkin' cute!

?I can?t help it that he?s being a gundark?s behind,? the Jadia finally said in her own defense.

?He?s male,? Mara noted... ?They tend to do that.?

Jadia giggled and nodded her head. Then her expression grew solemn and she slumped back in her seat, the holo of dejection. ?Boys are stupid,? she noted.

So very very true.[face_laugh]

?They still walk around holding hands and kissing and stuff,? Jadia noted with disdain. ?It?s gross.?

?I still kiss your grandfather,? Mara told her.

?Ugh,? Jadia said, shaking her head. ?Don?t remind me.?

?Kissing?s not that bad,? Mara teased her. ?Especially not once you find the right person.?

[face_laugh] It's always awkward to see anyone kissing, not to mention your own parents and grandparents.

?But everyone says I?m too young to know what I?m feeling,? Jadia said softly.

I hate when people say that! Feelings change but you still felt them. I love how Mara believes her :D

?Besides, you?re a Skywalker. If things went too smoothly you?d get bored.?

Love that; its so true.

This is so adorable, Vadey! =D=

12. The_Face

The_Face Ex-Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 22, 2003
    [face_laugh] I like this kid.

I really enjoyed this paragraph. It?s a great snapshot of Mara?s personality and her relationship with Jadia.

Superb work as always, MamaV! =D=

13. Blue_Milkshake

Blue_Milkshake Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 18, 2005
    I think we should all just move to the Megira-verse where Luke & Mara happily grow old together!

?Besides, you?re a Skywalker. If things went too smoothly you?d get bored.?
    Jadia gave her grandmother a look of mischief. ?I?ll never be bored,? she announced and Mara heard a wealth of future trouble in those words.

[face_laugh]
    *melts*[face_love]

14. Jade_Pilot

Jade_Pilot Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2005
    Wonderful! Love your little Jadia. [face_love]

Bravo! =D=

15. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    Great story! I love how Mara is wiser and older here, but still completely in character with her wisecracks. Jadia is adorable, and I especially love how Mara doesn't just dismiss Jadia's insistence that, at her young age, she's already met the man-to-be that she will someday marry.

=D=

16. Knight_Aragorn

Knight_Aragorn Jedi Master star 4

Jun 15, 2003
    Loved your Mara characterisation, especially her comments about Luke. I feel sorry for Jadia, because that's pretty difficult to deal with so young, but I suppose having an understanding grandmother helps. Great work. :D

17. Jedi-2B

Jedi-2B Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2000
    That was adorable, and sad because it can't come true in canon! I loved Jadia's defense of her 'perfect' grandfather. :D

18. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    ginchy Mara would have been a wonderful grandmother! :p

Myriad_Daydreams Yeah, there are certain things kids don't want to think about! :D

dianethx History repeats itself! ;)

KELIA Okay, quite close to perfect!

Jade_eyes I WISH they had been given a better hand in pro fic! :_|

Irish_Jedi_Jade Mara is amazing, isn't she?

SilSolo I like her too! ;)

madman007 For me, SW started out as a fable, and I still prefer to see it in that light.

Jedi Trace She's still Mara! :D

MarasFire A Skywalker is genetically destined for trouble. [face_devil]

The_Face Thank you! [:D]

Blue_Milkshake Was there ever any doubt?? :p

Jade_Pilot Thanks! :D

divapilot Nothing would make a Skywalker more stubborn than someone's disbelief. [face_whistling]

Knight_Aragorn Trouble free will never be in a Skywalker's future!

Jedi-2B I think he's perfect too! [face_love]

19. Jaded_Girl

Jaded_Girl Jedi Master star 4

Aug 9, 2001
    *looooooooooooooooooooves Nana Mara!!!* [face_love] [face_love] [face_love]

I like the similarities in the both of them. (I was also very amused that Jadia, being so like Mara, should absolutely adore her Papa Luke... [face_whistling] ;) ) I also liked the mention of Ben driving his wife crazy. I can so see it! ^_^ And Mara's sage advice... "He's male." [face_laugh]

Loverly fic! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.