main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

One year later - How many stars do you give AOTC?

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by YodaJeff, May 15, 2003.

?

One year later - How many stars do you give AOTC?

Poll closed Mar 22, 2012.
  1. 5 stars

255 vote(s)
    52.4%
  2. 4 stars

127 vote(s)
    26.1%
  3. 3 stars

48 vote(s)
    9.9%
  4. 2 stars

37 vote(s)
    7.6%
  5. 1 star

20 vote(s)
    4.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
  2. YodaJeff

Oct 18, 2001
    Well, it's been a year in most of the world. This is a new version of the poll that was created the day after AOTC's release (here), which as of this posting has 1138 replies. Coincidence? Probably, but still interesting nonetheless. It should be interesting to see how opinions have changed over the past year.

Polls are still off in this forum, this is an exception to mimic the poll from a year ago.

Also, feel free to discuss your rating in a reply.

3. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    I watch AOTC more than any of the Star Wars films now. (I love the other ones, dont' worry :p )

Sometimes I even start to watch another one, and then I'm just like "You know, I'd rather watch AOTC." So I do. :D

In the last 5 weeks, I've watched AOTC four times and ROTJ once. :D I love it still. :D

4. Clonetrooper1000

Clonetrooper1000 Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 24, 2003
    I gave it 5 stars on release and I will give it 5 stars now. Hype was never a factor in my opinion back in 2002.

The film was simply awesome and will always remain that way.

5. OBIX1

OBIX1 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 7, 2002
    5 stars!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D

6. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    5 :D

The only other films I give five stars are:

A New Hope
    The Empire Strikes Back
    Return of the Jedi
    The Phantom Menace
    Black Hawk Down
    Saving Private Ryan
    Catch Me if You Can
    Road to Perdition
    The Fellowship of the Ring
    The Two Towers
    Moulin Rouge

It may seem like a lot of films, but considering I've seen hundreds of films in my lifetime, my list is actually rather small, and AOTC has definately earned it's spot as one of the greatest films ever made.

IMO of course :D

7. foxbatkllr

foxbatkllr Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 27, 2001
    Definitely 5 stars

8. JKBurtola

JKBurtola Jedi Youngling star 4

Feb 4, 2003
    Its getting kinda predictable but
    5 STARS!!!

I've watched it about 100 times now and its my favourite Star Wars film to date.

9. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    I gave it a 4.

I love the movie, but it's "rewatch rate" isn't high enough. In other words, I just can't keep rewatching it like I do the Classic Trilogy.

I'm sure eventually it will be that I can, though. :)

10. Dagobah_Dude

Dagobah_Dude Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 9, 2001
    I gave it 5 stars, I agree that it is a very rewatchable film. Right now it's tied with ROTJ as my favorite of the saga(ESB, long my favorite, has been displaced by these other two).

11. C3POED_OUT

C3POED_OUT Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 10, 2003
    5 stars. Clones is the most enjoyable popcorn flick I've seen since Terminator 2: Judgement Day.

A few of my favorite moments in the film:

the awesome speed chase through Coruscant--the art design is simply imaginative, clever, and fantastical all in one! Zam makes for a very cool Bounty Hunter

Palpatine and Anakin's discussion in Palp's office; what a tease for the events ahead! McDiarmid can pull off "evil" in every facet of the definition

Lucas' camera work in the nightclub scene is epic and tense; I love the purple/reddish tint of the light, and how the dark blues in the outside of the club amplify it

Obi-Wan's confrontation with Jango, and I'm referring to both the meeting in his apartment and the physical showdown between the two; the fight is uber cool, especially the environment it takes place in (the Kamino rain)

the meadow scene--I love how Anakin and Padme smile at each other; the innocence and naivety they are filled with pulls at the strings of my youth

the lighting and backdrop of the fireplace scene--secluded, gloomy, appropriate for emotional blunder; save for the fact Anakin doesn't know what love is, here's Padme trying to keep her priorities in check, but it's obvious there's a spark of attraction in her eyes, ready to spill out at any moment

Anakin and Padme's talks with Watto and Owen and Beru; this is where the story's heart begins to wield itself

Anakin's last moments with his mom--easily one of the saga's most touching moments yet; "Annie...ANNIE? Is that you? Oh, you look so handsome (Shmi rubs her hand gently on Anakin's face)." *sniff*

Padme's reaction to Anakin's Tusken Slaughter confession; it may last only a few seconds, but her look of anguish as the camera moves closer is priceless

Dooku's final words with Obi-Wan in the chamber cell; Yoda is da man, but let's not forget about Christopher Lee!

the start of the Clone Wars--give me action, give me epic, give me one of the finest battles in cinema

Jango using his backpack to fly into the battle arena

Dooku's journey to the Industrial depths of Coruscant to meet up with Sidious; the music here is some of my favorite

12. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    Add another vote for 5-stars.

Ep3's gonna have to go some to top it, because AOTC could almost be my favourite of the SW films. And I really don't like to rank them, too.

13. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    5 stars.
    Hype was never a factor for me either.
    In fact, I was rather amazed at myself for how much I like this movie.
    With polls, I like the rule that if you vote, you should also post as it prevents socks from coming in and flooding the polls.

14. YodaJeff

Oct 18, 2001
    Yeah, I know that can be a problem. This poll isn't really for anything too important, so socks shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Anyways, I gave it 4 stars. I really enjoyed just about all of AOTC, but every movie has at least a little room for improvement. Besides, there's always the chance that Episode 3 will be even better.

By the way, I can't think of any movie that I'd give 5 stars. I'm a harsh critic. ;)

15. hawk

hawk Jedi Knight star 5

May 3, 2000
    3. It eas entertaining but a lot of it was useless.

16. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    I gave it 4 stars. It's a terrific movie but not without its flaws. However, the good far outweighs the bad.

For the sake of comparison, A NEW HOPE rates 4 stars in my book and THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK rates 5.

17. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    What, no "4 1/2 stars" option? [face_plain] I gave it a five. You got lucky, AOTC.

For basis of comparison:

ANH: 5 stars
    AOTC: 4 1/2 stars
    ROTJ: 4 stars
    ESB: 4 stars, but a lower 4 stars than ROTJ (c'mon, I hate the star system)
    TPM: 3 1/2 stars

Rick McCallum loves you!

18. DamonD

Nov 22, 2002
    By the way, I can't think of any movie that I'd give 5 stars. I'm a harsh critic.

I know what you mean YJ, but I couldn't vote '4.5' for AOTC so I had to go all the way with 5 :)

If anyone is interested in me being a harsh critic, just get me to review Lost in Space sometime [face_devil]

19. C3POED_OUT

C3POED_OUT Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 10, 2003
    I gave it 4 stars. It's a terrific movie but not without its flaws. However, the good far outweighs the bad.

Clones definitely has flaws, some more glaring than others. I'm basing my rating on replay value and enjoyment. Simply put, there are few films that have given me oodles of fun as this film has. A year later, I'm still into the story and events more than ever.

I'd probably give the film 4.5 stars. Empire, IMHO, is the better of the two.

20. rsterling78

rsterling78 Jedi Knight star 5

May 26, 2002
    Four stars. An almost perfect movie, but GL just hasn't done a good job on the "forbidden love" aspect of the film. Also, Christensen and Portman's acting is a little stiff (kind of like 2-1B in the OT).

The stark white 2001: A Space Odyssey-like Kaminoan city resonated with the Clone Troopers white armor, beautifully establishing an OT link.

Jango the gunslinger and Obi-Wan the gumshoe detective were very well done.

The Clone War sequences were flawless.

The Yoda-Dooku duel will become one of cinema's best-remembered fight scenes.

John Williams score was outstanding.

A great film that, like wine, will get better with age.

21. Esperanza_Nueva

Esperanza_Nueva Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 23, 2003
    i had to give it a 4 just cuz IMO the Classic Trilogy is just on a level above everything else lol.. but i definitely love AotC

22. The_Abstract

The_Abstract Jedi Master star 4

Jul 16, 2002

I could write a lengthy reflection on it, but I'll spare people until tomorrow. ;)

23. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    Five all the way. To me, a movie can be a Five Star movie and still not be perfect. Not even Citizen kane is perfect. But I loved it a year ago, and like it even more now. These are the movies i waited my whole life to see. I wanted to see just what was the great civilization that Obi-Wan spoke of in ANH-what were things like before the dark times? I can't get enough of the Jedi Knights.

24. advent

advent Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 23, 2003
    If you're talking purely technical filmmaking that has been established and expected, I give it 4.5 stars. If you're talking the heart and imagination of filmmaking, I give it 5.

Like all of the other Star Wars movies, Attack of the Clones accesses my imagination and wonder like very few other movies have done.

Even my own logic says it's not the best film ever made (the established craft of filmmaking), but it's one of my favorites as far as design, structure, sincerity, and heart. These things overwhelm my left-brain and sink softly into my right-brain with the other Star Wars movies.

Hmmm... I may be sounding a bit melodramatic ;) ...so I'll stop for the time being, although I'm being sincere in my sentiment. :)

Anyways, some may inevitabley twist this quote into a bash against Lucas, but it displays, I feel, why Lucas' approach is more instinctive and affects me more on a subconscious level:

"Don't try to make the greatest movie in the world. Just get the story told one chapter at a time."
    - George Lucas to Steven Spielberg during Raiders of the Lost Ark preproduction

25. DamonD

Nov 22, 2002
    I don't think that's a bash at all. Nicely put, in fact :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.