main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

One year later - How many stars do you give AOTC?

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by YodaJeff, May 15, 2003.

?

One year later - How many stars do you give AOTC?

Poll closed Mar 22, 2012.
  1. 5 stars

255 vote(s)
    52.4%
  2. 4 stars

127 vote(s)
    26.1%
  3. 3 stars

48 vote(s)
    9.9%
  4. 2 stars

37 vote(s)
    7.6%
  5. 1 star

20 vote(s)
    4.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    Just as well you can only vote once on this poll. Otherwise we'd be up to about 3000 votes by now, most of them from the same 20 people ;)

2. Padlei

Padlei Jedi Master star 4

Mar 5, 2003
    ^^ [face_laugh]

True enough I did go through the pages and detected the trend.
    Five. Two. Five. Five. Two. Two. Five. Best Sw movie to date! Worst movie to date! Occasionally you have 4 or 3 stars but that's all... I don't think the same people posted but the comments do sound familiar...

3. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    It's not a bad movie, it's just a bad Star Wars movie.

Whatever that's supposed to mean.

I meant that it's pretty good as a run-of-the-mill summer blockbuster that's just a sci-fi flick. But as a Star Wars movie it fails to fit into the SW saga causing more problems to its continuity and flow.

4. winter_chili

winter_chili Jedi Master star 5

Nov 6, 2002
    If you include 3 stars as liking it then 87 percent of those who voted liked the movie? That's crazy/awesome

5. Tee-Sin_Quay

Tee-Sin_Quay Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 5, 2001
    Great film, great story, great visuals.
    5 Stars from me.

But as a Star Wars movie it fails to fit into the SW saga causing more problems to its continuity and flow.

Sounds like you didnt watch AOTC or at least you watched it but are pretending that it doesn't fit into the saga and has these "problems" with continuity, just so you can keep up your bashing.
    Maybe you'd like to explain.

6. DamonD

Nov 22, 2002
    Well, maybe explain in a seperate thread.
    This one's fine for people giving their opinion one at a time, but it's probable best to leave the heavy discussion to another thread.

7. Vaders_Lady

Vaders_Lady Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 13, 2003
    5 stars all the way! :D

8. Darth_Meul

Darth_Meul Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 4, 2004
    The fivest of stars, of course. AOTC is the best [face_love] ...

9. Vaders_leash

Vaders_leash Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 29, 2001
    I'm on my second DVD rental of AOTC. My opinion still stands: acting for the most part is still wooden. Arena FX even cheesier. Two and a half stars (one half extra for Dooku's return to Coruscant).

10. orn-free-tada

orn-free-tada Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 11, 2001
    without a doubt, 5/5. fantastic film.

11. Charlie_Martel

Charlie_Martel Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2001
    Arg. I gave it 5 when it came out, then a year later a 4, now I think I'm leaning towards a 3. I must be suffering from Star Wars burnout. :(

12. Keeper_of_Swords

Keeper_of_Swords Jedi Master star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    I voted 5 stars. I got to like it more the more I saw it.

13. Tabula Rasa

Tabula Rasa Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 8, 1998
    4 stars, all the way.

14. Jedi knight Pozzi

Jedi knight Pozzi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2000
    This threads last upping maybe? :)

15. sidious_onset

sidious_onset Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 27, 2003
    **1/2

Maybe ***

Tatooine is the strongest part of the story. The rest of it is underdeveloped.

16. hansen

hansen Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2003
    4 stars, close to 5 but not quite...

17. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    But as a Star Wars movie it fails to fit into the SW saga causing more problems to its continuity and flow.

Whatever that's supposed to mean.

18. Eccentrica

Eccentrica Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 2, 2004
    I would have given it 2.5; right on average, mediocre. But there was no option, so I was kind and gave it a 3, though rethinking it a 2 would be more appropriate considering the options.

The movie had a disjointed and unconvincing story, awful character development (Anakin and Padme` are casual friends, then all of a sudden they're in love? Please), the special effects were nice but dominating, the love story was the worst ever to grace the silver screen, and the writing was something I'd expect to see from a high school sci-fi nerd, not a "professional" writer/director.

It had it's moments: Jango's death, Obi Wan fighting Jango, Christopher Lee, but that was about it.

19. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    I would give it 2 stars.It is better than TPM (not by much) and there are one or two moments that are not bad but they are little islands flooded in a bad film.
    Badly Written/Badly acted and badly directed. Combine those three with a bad score and (I cannot stress this enough) some very BAD editing. You have Attack of the clones.
    The Prequels show less the fall of Anakin Skywalker but more the fall of George Lucas.The hints of Lucas fall as a poor filmmaker were hinted in RTJ and while minor blips like Howard the Duck could be ignored 20yrs later they have come to fruition. A man obssed with CGI stuck away with a bunch of yes men on Skywalker Ranch.

20. NotPadme

NotPadme Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 10, 2004
    4 stars.

I guess it will reach 5 after Ep III is out. AOTC is preparing the ground for Ep III, it's a transiction movie.

21. DamonD

Nov 22, 2002
    I've just read through all the posts in this topic again.
    It's fantastic...some of the melodrama is really funny :)

22. NotPadme

Mar 10, 2004
    And anyway, from what I could read on boards all over the internet, give the fans a finger and they'll take the whole arm.

Everybody is always ready to complain about something, bashing the movies, the script, the director, the actors and whatever. If you really think you can do better, what are you doing in front of a computer? You should be in the director's chair, directing the best movie ever produced.

Frankly, all this remembers me of my home country, Italy, where, when sitting at a café on Sundays everybody sounds like he is the best soccer referee, the best player, the best trainer...

When a director like GL choses to make a huge Universe like SW come to life, he will have to deal with millions of little details, tying dozen of character stories together. It's his vision, and of course, since none of us are the same, someone will be disappointed. Does the fact that some people take it so personally diminish the value of the work? No. Will you neverthless continue arguing about and watching the Star Wars movies? Yes.
    If you were really disappointed, if your regrets were so big you would throw all the movies in the dustbin (like I did for the Matrix) and full stop. Close. Remember that it's so easy to criticize someone else's work. Considering the humongus work he's been putting together over three decades, I personally consider that he did a pretty good job. Nothing and no one is perfect. Not only fanboys go to see the Star Wars movies, and there's a little for everyone.

If you really want to watch a bad Sci-Fi movies, with a really bad script, bad acting, poor direction, please go to Amazon.com and buy yourself Ed Wood's complete works.

Sorry for the rant, but really, it had to come out.

23. BobaFrank

BobaFrank Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 17, 2001
    What I can't understand is users opinions of the movie are asked for, but if you have anything negative to say, your automatically attacked.(no pun intended)

I've seen AOTC about 25 times. I own it on dvd but it is still my least favorite episode of the SAGA. I initially gave it 1 star but have bumped it up to 2 stars.

WHAT I DISLIKED ABOUT AOTC:

1. The love story is presumptuous, terribly underdeveloped, lacking any real emotion, unlike Han & Leia's romance in ESB.

2. The dialouge is atrocious in some parts, especially the fireplace scene.

3. Mace killing Jango made no sense to me. Tension was built up the entire movie between Obi and Jango without a climactic confrontation. Seemed to me GL just wanted to have Mace show-off.

4. The digital cameras at times made the picture so clear it made the movie feel like a live event which detracted from the escapism. Very evident in the first part of the movie when Padme's ship blows up.

5. When Padme falls out of the transport ship and rolls down the hill. It looked sooooo hokey.

6. Cutting Padme's home scene out and the Jedi Hangar scene out was a mistake in my opinion. They would have made the movie better.

7. Shmi's funeral. Lar's pathetic speech. We know nothing of their relationship or history but yet we're supposed to be moved by his speech?

8. Daniel Logan. He is the worst actor I've ever seen. People dogged Jake Lloyd, who I thought did a great job, but Daniel Logan was terrible.

WHAT I LIKED ABOUT AOTC:

1. The Tusken Slaughter and Anakin's first BIG step to the Darkside.

2. The Clone War. Once it started the action was awesome.

3. The Clone Troopers. I love how they look. Impressive. Most impressive.

4. The monsters in the arena, and how ILM paid homage to Ray Harryhausen a true VFX pioneer.

5. The end sequence where Palpy and the other senators are looking at the Clone Troopers with the Imperial March playing. Stunning.

5. The soundtrack. Haunting and beautiful.

6. Coleman Trebor. My favorite character so far in the PT next to Maul.

7. Finally. Yoda vs. Dooku. Too cool.

As far as visuals and action AOTC is hard to beat, but everything else left me disappointed.

24. dark_charlie

dark_charlie Jedi Youngling star 4

Apr 18, 2004
    6 STARS, ATTACK OF THE CLONES IS THE BEST MOVIE IN THE WORLD...and natalie portman is realy hot

25. NotPadme

Mar 10, 2004
    What I can't understand is users opinions of the movie are asked for but if you have anything negative to say your automatically attacked.

I am more keen to think it's the other way around. What drives me nuts is that people only bring on over and over the same negative things, and never seem to be contented with the rest, which is much, IMHO.

If George had given more weight (and screen time) to the love story, fanboys would have screamed their lungs out in disappointment because there were not enough b***y lightsabre fights and tech stuff.

If the movie had only been about lightsabre and tech stuff, the more romantic among us would have yelled in disappointment because they would have wanted to see more fireplace like scenes.

it's hard to find a balance when you have so much to say and so little time and so many fans to please. Not everybody does rely to the EU books, mind that.

I would have loved to see more of the love story myself, because there were too many ellipses made, And i'm frankely terrified when I hear that Ep III opening scene will be 20 minutes of battle. Plus the 12 minutes of the final lightsabre fight it's already 32 minutes of screen time for hardcore fans, and too little for those who want to see more character developement.

Maybe it's a matter of age : I'm 39 and I saw ANH in theatres when it first come out, and I was a tech junkie at that time. Maybe now that i'm older I care for different things. who knows.

All I can say is that my children love and emulate the Star Wars movies (their favourite being TPM because of Darth Maul) and i hope we will continue having fun together watching these fantastic movies.

edit blockquote code

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.