[One Year Later] I return to the EU by way of comics; or, I still love John Ostrander

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Mastadge, Jan 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Duck Force Ghost

star 4
    Welcome back Mastadge.

I disagree completely with you. I'm trade collecting, so I only have on Legacy stoy to go by and it doesn't do much for me, but it's only the beginning. One trade for Dark Times, but I like it. None for Rebellion. Three for KOTOR, and I love it. I don't know what I can say that hasn't already been said in defence of poor KOTOR.
  2. Mastadge Manager Emeritus

star 7
    Seems "poor KOTOR" doesn't need much defence. I'm glad so many people enjoy it so much; I wish it worked for me as well as it obviously does for so many of you.
  3. Jedimarine Force Ghost

star 5
    I can appreciate where you are coming from...but given the overall "new ground" that KOTOR explores, I try to keep up on where it's going.

I guess you could say I advocate the concept of KOTOR, as opposed to the execution...which is manifest in me not actually purchasing it.
  4. Rouge77 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    KOTOR is the best EU available at the moment. As much as I complain about LotF or Legacy, I really can't say a bad word about KOTOR. Legacy may try to give us ANH feeling, but KOTOR succeeds giving both the movie feel and the feeling of the KOTOR games, yet is still fresh. I got today the third volume with the last Empire collection and comparing them, it's just amazing how much better in every department KOTOR is.
  5. Trip Force Ghost

star 4
    I can kinda see Mastadge's problems with KotOR. The entire middle section of last year (Nights and Daze) was... pretty dreadful, to be blunt. It started out simply dull and continued to spiral down, moving into terrible territory before in the last issue finally breaking through into the realm of so-godawful-you-can't-help-but-laugh-at-the-utter-overwrought-ridiculousness-of-it-all. Maybe if Dustin or even Ching had done it all it wouldn't have been as bad, but as it was... yeah.

I guess what I'm saying is that when it's bad, hoo boy, is it bad. Thing is, the reverse is also true: when it's good (Flashpoint, Days of Fear, Knights of Suffering), it's easily the best stuff Dark Horse has to offer. Yeah, it ain't perfect-- there are also long-running annoyances like the neverending Demagol subplot (or biggest red herring in the history of red herrings) and that stupid capybara that didn't stay dead, but the good parts are more than enough to give those a pass.

As a side note, I'd debate the whole buxom-thing for Jarael (if that's who you were referring to); when the regular artists draw her, she's plenty realistically proportioned. We'll just have to pray Tolibao and Dazo don't ever come back.
  6. Rouge77 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    What's wrong with buxom ladies in SW?o_O And Jarael is hardly yet SW's very own version of Power Girl. Which in itself wouldn't be bad at all...[face_whistling]
  7. Trip Force Ghost

star 4
    It... well, I dunno. Insulting, maybe? Not quite the word I'm searching for, but there you go...
  8. SuperWatto Manager Emeritus

star 5
  9. Quiet_Mandalorian Force Ghost

star 5
    I think it's more an issue of overly buxom women in comic books.
  10. Kenobi_Kid Jedi Master

star 4
    Hear, hear. John Jackson Miller specifically stated that Jarael was not suppoesd to look like a cliched Mary-Sue pin-up action heroine. Perhaps not in those words, but you get the general idea. When drawn by Weaver or Ching she appears to be quite fit looking, but hardly the buxom supermodel we saw in the Daze of Hate arc.
  11. Trip Force Ghost

star 4
    You touch it with a knife.
  12. Rouge77 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Insulting? Characters with big breasts? Everything bigger than A-Cup sized breasts should not be used in comics?:confused:

Handsome male characters with muscular frames must feel insulting to all the geeky male fans...:p

One would expect that in such an advanced culture most people that are not from backwater worlds would look like models... Parents could create the perfect babies with technology and later the persons themselves could buy correction to whatever "flaws" they would still have.

And in the case of Jarael, it seems certain that there has been more tampering with her genes than what the pureblood Arkanians did to create the offshoots. It wouldn't seem to be out of the question that her being beautiful might be a deliberate part of her creation.
  13. Rouge77 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    And why is that a problem? We can't really expect comic book characters to accurately represent the kind of people we see around us in the real world, or otherwise large part of them would be overweight, with significant part being obese. And many of the characters with normal weight would have to be ugly etc.
  14. ChildOfWinds Chosen One

star 5
    rogue_wookiee

I feel KotOR captures that classic Star Wars feel incredibly well.

Even *I* like KotoR, and I'm not really much of a fan of comics, and I don't like much of anything that Del Rey's been feeding us.
  15. Ulicus Lit'ari

Manager
    star 6
    S'like looking in a mirror, personally. [face_mischief]
  16. Kenobi_Kid Jedi Master

star 4
  17. s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod

star 7
    [face_laugh]

No....

[face_blush]

Erm...
  18. Quiet_Mandalorian Force Ghost

star 5
    It's not true to the movies. ;)
  19. Rouge77 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    She's never been portrayed as ridiculously endowed, nothing that doesn't occur often enough naturally. And what comes to living conditions and outward appearances, Camper is probably more truthful creation, but would we want to see Jarael looking like that, with broken teeth and all?

Yes, her chest size has changed, but not that dramatically. It's just part of using different artists. In the Vector preview Zayne looks like he would be modelled after Dennis Lawson instead of young Christian Slater as he is supposed to be in KOTOR; the size of Jarael's breasts is of little consequence when compared to changes like this.
  20. Quiet_Mandalorian Force Ghost

star 5
    I don't recall Camper having broken teeth.

This "all or nothing" attitude you have is a bit odd, you must admit.

Seems more like defiance of the author's description to me.
  21. Rouge77 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    He has. The third volume has early a big picture of him yawning when Jarael and Zayne spar; one of Camper's front teeth is badly broken.

I don't have to admit anything.[face_shame_on_you] And it's just being logical.[face_plain]
  22. Quiet_Mandalorian Force Ghost

star 5
    A broken tooth never stopped Michael Ironside. ;)

The power of Reason compels you! [:D]

Um, no. :p
  23. sonnymyson Jedi Knight

star 3
    Speaking of ridiculously over-endowed, have you ever checked our Cade's pants during his fight scenes? I speak as an advocate of The Pants....
  24. Master_Keralys Sometime Technical Aide and Erstwhile Lit Mod

Manager
    star 5
    Ahem. Just to put this to rest: contrary to some argument, we are talking significant variation.

Jarael normally:
    [image=http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/5/55/Jaraelactiondustinweaver.jpg]
    Jarael when over-endowed:
    [image=http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/c/c8/Jaraelcampergoodbye.jpg]

Point made? The former is attractive but not overly buxom; the latter is... large (IMO too much so).

- Keralys
  25. Rouge77 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    The difference isn't that big - and one could probably find pictures with Jarael having smaller breasts than in the upper picture. And Keralys - some things are almost never too big...[face_shame_on_you]:p

(Ok, there's a limit, but although she might suffer from back pain, Jarael in the lower picture isn't really yet suffering from gynecomastia.[face_plain])
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.