main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

One year since CIII

Discussion in 'Archive: Santa Cruz, CA' started by DarkLordSid, Apr 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarkLordSid

DarkLordSid Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2004
    And I've still got some photos to print, sigh.

So, one year since, two till the next (in theory).

My take, it was a mixed good time.

*Spent way too much time in line and waiting around for things while I should have been seeing stuff.
    *Still stunned at the four hour wait from dawn to buy "exclusive" stuff that later was offered up on the Starwars.com shop.
    *Loved the panels and presentations I DID get into, the Celebration at Celebration was cool, but sadly was still more lines for more money :(
    *The hotel was the coolest, we stayed at the Crowne which was the old Union Station, ghost statues, rail car rooms, I'd stay there again for sure.
    *Liked the Hyperspace special events and lounge, even though it was kind of a cheap way of getting people to buy memberships in Hyperspace to get the exclusives and "special treatment".
    *Bought tons of collectables, still trying to frame some of them, but good quality merchandise.
    *Never made it to the autograph line, wish I had, liked to have met a few of those folks.
    *I did get to put my "grip" on one of the artists, I think he was a bit freaked out by my being in character, heh.
    *Was great getting to hang out with Star Wars fans. I mean, no matter which line you were in, you were with true fans of the genre. Other conventions you have people that are solidly NOT into SWars, their thing is anime, or LOTR, or Trek, gaming, etc. They may look at you like you are "one of THOSE people". This convention everyone there was into that ONE thing, so conversation came easy and was fun. There were fans of different aspects, of the films, of the books, graphic novels, games, and so on. But it all came back to Star Wars, to Vader, to Luke, to Obi. That was the biggest thing I got out of it, the common appreciation for an art form and the fantastic world of George's playground of the mind.

Would I go again knowing what I know now... probably, I did get enough out of it, but I'd sure do it a lot differently. If they could get the San Diego Comic Con people to run it, I'd FOR SURE go again, and pay happily to do it.

What would I do differently myself?

*Target just a FEW must see things, take folding chairs and get there early. Use the "fast pass" system if they offer it again.
    *Get my goodies on DAY ONE, I never want to stand in line again for four hours to hear things running out of stock while I'm waiting.
    *Try and meet personally with more folks that make it possible and fun. Heck, the shows and interviews will probably be on the next release of the DVD (and you KNOW there will be another)
    *Bring the digital camera, extra memory and shoot pics like a madman.
    *Take the comfortable boots from now on, those saved my life and my feet.
    *DRINK MORE WATER
    *Use the taxis more to save on the feet, it was fairly cheap and saved walking to and from the con to the hotel and back again.
    *Don't fly through Chicago if I can avoid it, that place was a mess. I'm stunned we didn't lose our luggage or our minds there.
    *Sign up again for the Celebration at Celebration, it was pretty cool watching Nick get pasted and the band rocked.

Sooo, now it's your turn, what was your take and if they host it in LA as is rumored will you go again? Would you go again if it's anywhere else and where else would you like to see it?

2. Kai_Vandekar

Kai_Vandekar Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    I didn't make it to CIII, but given a chance to go to CIV, I would do so. But it has been good to read all the caveats from those who went last year...gives me a good idea of what to expect, both good and bad.

- Kai

3. Master--Kenobi

Master--Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 8, 2003
    Do it again..Oh yeah...But in a completely different way.

Pros:
    * Getting to meet with and talk to Nick Gillard.

* Getting "mobbed" as Ewan while wearing my Hyperspace Webcam Practice Outfit and being rescued by the 501st. LOL (Thanks again, Guys!)

* Getting to see some of the most incredible costumes in the Universe gathered together. (The TaunTaun..a visual dream come true..they did it sooo well) Also, the Grivious and the Toy Luke in the Kenner Box..Awsome pieces of art...they went above costume...

* Opening Ceremonies...

* Preview of RoS...

* Getting to see the details on Ewan's Mustafar outfit.

* The snow and rain..and how I loved the fact that my robe took the Kamino weather so well.

* Meeting up with friends from all over.

* The lightsaber arenea and working with the Younglings there.. THAT made everything worthwhile.

Cons:

* Those of you that know the story...know what the HUGE con's were. I'm not gong to repeat them here, but I did learn from them and the mistakes that rolled downhill will NOT be repeating themselves for the next one.

* One of those pro/con things... Pro: Getting Picked up by my throat during the performance..looked bloody good and people are still commenting on it. Con: It wasn't planned, wasn't in the choreography...and temper tantrums during a saberfight are not good form....

Would I do it again? Like I said completely different way of doing it next time. Oh yes, and with major life lessons learned and implemented. Fool me once, shame on me..Fool me twice, I still want to believe you are a good person; Fool me three times...I finally learn. (Yes, Mom, I FINALLY paid attention to what you told me for ALL those years...)

Really looking forward to CIV, LA and just having a blast.

4. DarkLordSid

Aug 3, 2004
    You ever hear anything about Jos's camera?

5. Master--Kenobi

Master--Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 8, 2003
    /\ Yeah..from a certain point of view.*

*Note: to those that don't know. When our Dad realized/accepted the fact that he was dying, he made sure that Josie and I got his digital camera. It was his pride and joy.

We were contacted by someone back East through FF that they had been at CIII and that they had the camera..described it perfectly, when and where it was taken, minute details of it and THEN wanted $1000 for its return, cause "We know the sentimental meaning it has for you."

Well, idiot posted his name, town and HS that he went to on FF. We had three states involved, and the FBI cause of Interstate and Internet Fed Violations (due to the blackmail). They found the kid, he was from a small town, brought him in, questioned him, and then the Town Sheriff/Constable refused to do anything, cause...

"Poor kid has had a rough life. His dad left when he was youg and his Mom doesn't have the money to replace the camera." AND then refused to press charges. "After all it's only a camera and you people in California have enough money to replace it anyways." (I'll never forget those words). The only way we could get anything done was to fly out to the town and formally sign papers. THEN go back out to the trial. Kid said he didn't have it, but described it perfectly, down to things that we didn't mention.. like serial numbers. ...

So, basically, kid got to keep Dad's camera that he stole and bragged about stealing..got away with trying to blackmail for money...and we got ...well..we got the short end of the stick.

Indianapolis PD and the FBI were livid, but their hands were tied, due to some interstate laws. I couldn't get the time off to fly out and file papers and go back for trials. So, that ended that as the small town judge refused to let me file any other way. It HAD to be in person. Only postive thing..kid was perma-banned from FF. (Course he is probably back now with a sock puppet). (The kid's previous posts were pretty obnoxious and threatening to others too) Figure that someday we will see him on the evening news either being cuffed up or in some sorta standoff...

End Rant: :mad:

6. DarkLordSid

Aug 3, 2004
    Un-real.

You guys should just get jobs with 60 Minutes, you'd have all kinds of things to investigate and report on.

I wonder how the little "poverty stricken" rat managed to even get into C3.

Sorry to hear about your loss, but karma will get him some day.

At least his name is on file with the FBI, when he gets older and hits the most wanted list maybe you can help ID him. "Yeah, that's him, the one with my Dad's camera..."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.