main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Online council meeting

Discussion in 'Archive: Cleveland, OH' started by DonC, Mar 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DonC

DonC Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 2001
    We need to talk about this message board thing, so if the council and Brian could be on MSN tomorrow night around 11 it would be greatly apprecitated. Thank you.

Oh, yeah. I had a ton of connection issues yesterday, but they seem to be better now. I wanted to post that just in case I can't get on again tomorrow.

2. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    I'll be there!

3. JarJarJedi

JarJarJedi Force Ghost star 6

Feb 6, 2001
    Oy... I should be home from the car show ( :D) by then, so I'll be there.

4. Padawan92

Padawan92 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 22, 2001
    Sounds cool...hope you guys have a good talk! :D

5. _-Reborn_Jedi-_

_-Reborn_Jedi-_ Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 9, 2002
    I'll be there, got the day off. Just gotta pry myself away from Galaxies...just a little bit...

6. Jedi_BMack

Jedi_BMack Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2002
    copy that

-b-

7. JarJarJedi

JarJarJedi Force Ghost star 6

Feb 6, 2001
    Just gotta pry myself away from Galaxies...just a little bit...

LOL! I know the feeling. ;) I haven't been able to pull myself away from Galactic Battlegrounds all weekend! (I had to stop early tonight, I've got school tomorow ;))

8. Krash

Oct 11, 2000
    Everything went well last night, once everyone has time to gather information and run some tests...we'll have something information to share with everyone.

9. Jedi_BMack

May 25, 2002
  10. TheRandomMenace

TheRandomMenace Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2002
    Um, I'm not on the Council, but I thought the whole reason we were doing this was so we COULD be vulgar, obscene, etc.???

11. JediKnightPasJoDacle

JediKnightPasJoDacle Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 16, 2002
    Add:
    The JKOC is not responsible for messages posted on the Forums or the content therein and will not be held responsable for any misconduct or other people's actions.

12. Krash

Oct 11, 2000
    I thought the whole reason we were doing this was so we COULD be vulgar, obscene, etc.???
    That's not the point of having our own message board. Sure we can be a little more relaxed then under TFN's TOS...but that does not mean all rules are thrown out the window.

We're trying to reach out to the Cleveland and Akron area...looking for other SW fans to hang out with. If we come across as a bunch of vulgar, loud-mouthed, obscene people...we're going to lose more people then we gain. And those that do find that interesting...do we really want them around?

EDIT: That's good Jon, and it's kinda what the TOS is going to say...but we can't encourage vulgar/obscene type of comments either. I liked what Ramdac said to me about one 501st event...where a local radio station had some half-naked women as part of their promotion. Ramdac told them since 501st (with close relations to Lucasfilm) was part of this event, this type of stuff would reflect poorly on how the public viewed 501st, and polietly asked them to leave. I think we need to be aware of the public's (especially potential members) impression of us. And a message board full of vulgarity/obscenity does not paint a good picture of us as a group.

13. TheRandomMenace

Mar 13, 2002
    Hey, I find that interesting... and no one's seemed to want me to leave yet. 8-}

14. Jedi_BMack

May 25, 2002
    Eric: Please note that while we are, in fact, a privately owned and run board and can make up our own rules, that does not mean that decorum goes by the wayside. Keep in mind we are still publishing this on a publicly accessible website and I, for one, would not want any of parents of our younger members and/or any prospective members, let alone any charitable groups who may be referencing our website, to read that sort of non-verbose drivel.

On a side note, I know you were trying to be funny. This is not exactly the time and place. That kind of attitude is one reason I did not consult directly with you on our ToS.

Jon: Thank you for posting something pertinent...

-b-

15. TheRandomMenace

Mar 13, 2002
    I still think we might want to have a restricted thread or something like that, where you could possibly somehow "filter" for lack of a better term who enters it, sort of like OFH is here, where only people over 18 for example, can post.

16. Jedi_BMack

May 25, 2002
    give me one good reason why we need a thread for swearing

-b-

17. TheRandomMenace

Mar 13, 2002
    Because I'd rather read (omission here) than frell. Seriously, you guys dropping that word around really gets on my nerves. And I can't even try to come close to expressing how much so accurately without violating the very terms of service on this board. Call me desensitized, but we truly do live in a time of too much political correctness.

18. Jedi_BMack

May 25, 2002
    Nope... Not good enough...

I've given a very solid reason why that language will not be allowed on JKOC.com and I'm not going to allow swearing on any forum where, not only the Council doesn't think we should allow that language, but I AM DONATING THE BANDWIDTH AND SERVER SPACE. Especially just because a sci-fi expletive gets on your nerves.

Deal with that. Respect it. Or don't participate on the site.

That is the end of discussion on swearing on the boards.

Does anyone else have anything pertinent to add?

-b-

19. Krash

Oct 11, 2000
    That is the end of discussion on swearing on the boards
    I should clarify...that that means swearing in relation to the upcoming message board on our website. TFN has a very clear ruling that these kinds of comments are not appropriate. As RSA...I'm the one responsible for making sure TFN's TOS are being observed.

And sci-fi genre swearing...particularly SW related words (within certain limits) are allowed.

20. DonC

DonC Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 2001
    The ToS looks good to me.

21. JediKnightPasJoDacle

JediKnightPasJoDacle Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 16, 2002
    Thanks BMack, Just call me Relivent (get it, instead of Random...ok...just ignore me...)

22. REBO1971

REBO1971 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 13, 2004
    As someone who has only been checking out these boards for a short time (and not on the council), I want to thank you for the no vulgarity rule on the upcoming website. Star Wars is a family oriented movie, and I only want to spend time on Star Wars sites that reflect that value. I would not enjoy visiting a Star Wars site or messege board that contained vulgarity. That is just not "Star Wars" for me.

23. Malo-ha

Malo-ha Jedi Youngling star 2

May 8, 2003
    That looks very good.

Are you going to provide an email link to a Mod for when someone does get offended by something. I say when because eventually someone will find something offensive. It's just human nature.

24. TheRandomMenace

Mar 13, 2002
    Mary, I'm offended that you would make such a suggestion. 8-}

25. Padawan92

Padawan92 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 22, 2001
    I have to say the Terms of Service are all good to me...not like I read any of them in the first place but they are good Brian...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.