main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

San Diego, CA "Only a Sith deals in absolutes."

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by CessnaDriver, Jun 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CessnaDriver

CessnaDriver Jedi Youngling star 2

May 7, 2002
    "Only a Sith deals in absolutes." -Kenobi

Ok.

"Do or do not. There is no try." -Yoda

Now if that is not an absolute, I dont know what is.
    In fact, isn't Kenobis statement an absolute in itself?

What's a padawan learner to do?

2. micdavis

micdavis Jedi Master star 4

Mar 10, 2003

Um....that's a choice. Not an absolute.

3. CessnaDriver

May 7, 2002
    but are you absolutely sure? ;)

4. jawajames

jawajames Former RSA // stawars.com contributor star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Apr 26, 2002
    remember that Obi-wan's words are to be taken from a certain point of view.

5. CessnaDriver

May 7, 2002
    Truly wise words from a master.

6. ObeyTheFist

ObeyTheFist Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2004
    kenobi was stating a fact - which in a way is different then an absolute.

7. Emerald_Beacon

Emerald_Beacon Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 21, 2005
    Now let's not just jump to the defense of Yoda and Obi-Wan... it's a legitimate question. Obi-Wan's objection to Anakin's 'absolute' (either you're with me, or you're my enemy) could just as easily apply to Yoda's (do, or do not). Both are specific choices, decisions, or states of being that are completely exclusive. To Anakin, if you were not supportive of his actions, choices, and plans to rule the galaxy, you were an enemy to be slain. There was no middle ground of being supportive of one's ideals without approving of their methods.

To Yoda, there was no middle ground between doing something or not doing it. To try and to fail was not an option... as far as Yoda's training of Luke went, to try and subsequently fail was to 'do not.' Luke had no option - and being denied the option of trying, he subconsciously (or not?) chose to 'do not.'

True, there are different connotations behind each statement. Anakin was dealing in true absolutes and beliefs, while Yoda was desperately trying to instruct his last padawan in the few days they had left together. The former was stating what, to him, was fact... the other was using metaphor to accellerate the learning process.

Does that, however, make Yoda's words any less absolute than Anakin's? An interesting question arises if the answer is no. Yoda was truly pressed for time... he had only weeks to turn the raw material that was the offspring of Skywalker into the last of the Jedi. Was Yoda allowing Luke to be trained through the schoolings of the Sith, in order to give him enough power in the force to fight Vader when necessary? The Dark side is quicker, easier, more sedictive... was not quicker and easier what Yoda needed?

Food for thought. ;)

8. JediZabrak

JediZabrak Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 12, 2004
    Yes... but he also said, "Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny." So... no, Yoda wouldn't train Luke that way. Besides, his experience was enough. He has trained alot of Jedi for many years.

9. JediNyt

JediNyt Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 27, 2003
    "For 800 years have I trained Jedi."

And Luke was on Dagoba for at least a few months.

10. JediZabrak

JediZabrak Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 12, 2004
    Exactly.

11. sword_of_raditz

sword_of_raditz Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 2, 2005
    Yoda's a sith. :p

He's too green and evil!

12. Emerald_Beacon

Emerald_Beacon Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 21, 2005
    Which was only about 5% of the time that Luke's Father was actively trained as a Jedi. Sure, Luke did get the Cliffs Notes version; Yoda had to take some shortcuts. I agree that he would never steer his student down the wrong path... but consider this analogy. When riding a motorcycle, you lean into the turns. To take a turn really fast, you need to lean in really far. If you're not careful, you can easily crash & burn. It's the same with the dark side... you can cut corners and still come out okay. But dip too far into the dark side, and you'll fall.

Yoda might have forseen that Luke was going to leave before his training was complete... so he knew that he had to give Luke every tool possible to keep him safe against the Sith. If that meant steering Luke dangerously close to the Dark Side to accelerate his learning... would Yoda have taken that chance?

I'm not saying he did. I'm just saying he might have. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.