main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Only a Sith...

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Mzukiller, Aug 14, 2013.

1. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    As did the Jedi at the end of the Vong war, but then it lead to Jacen's own fall towards the dark side. When a Jedi uses the Force force to engage in combat, it is a form of the dark side. But not enough to truly contaminate them. They're fighting in defense of themselves and others, but they still wind up fighting offensively. They must counter that with not letting their emotions into the fray. Using their aggressive feelings to fuel their power is a very dangerous and slippery slope. That's why in the EU, very few use Form VII as a means of Lightsaber combat, because of how it's designed.

2. son_of_skywalker03

son_of_skywalker03 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    It's hilarious to me just how many people completely miss the point of what is happening with the Jedi in the PT, and why they fall so easily at the end.

SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  3. wikex004

wikex004 Jedi Padawan

Nov 21, 2012
    I know this quote gets a ton of flack but with as bad as the dialogue is in the PT, its far and away my favorite of the trilogy. "Only a Sith deals in absolute"

I find the Jedi in the prequels plenty contradictory, misguided, or arrogant but not so much in this quote. The key word is deals. Obi-Wan's absolutist defense against Anakin is not something he dealt. Just like in combat it is reactionary, defensive, as a Jedi should be. Lucas is in part critiquing George W here but its so good mostly because it just sounds so good.

Count Yubnub likes this.
  4. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

As bad as the dialogue is in the PT . . . and the OT? Because that's how I see it.

5. Darth Dominikkus

Darth Dominikkus Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2013

6. Jangounchained1990

Jangounchained1990 Jedi Knight star 2

May 31, 2015
    It is an oxymoron just like saying "never say, never".

7. GuardianSoulBlade

GuardianSoulBlade Jedi Knight star 3

May 26, 2015
    He was actually referencing Vietnam.

8. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    To me, this line simply comes down to clever writing and an even better delivery, solely to create an iconic and memorable moment. And it worked. Any average person who might not even particularly be a Star Wars fan, out of anything in the prequels, can remember this line. I don't think it has anything to do with Jedi or Sith philosophies, if its contradictory, what it implies, what it really means behind what is suggested, or whatnot. It's just good dialogue and filmmaking.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  9. The Sith Camp

The Sith Camp Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 10, 2015
    Well - didn't Darth Plagueis once explain to Palpatine in his Sith Training that ' emotions such as envy and hatred, though necessary to master the dark side, were simply means to the end of casting aside usual notions of morality for a greater goal. Plagueis also lectured his apprentice on the means of taking power, with the eventual goal of control over the galaxy.

10. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    The one thing I kinda always scoffed at is Obi Wan is saying "only a Sith deals in absolutes" and then grabs his lightsaber. Would that not then, be Obi Wan dealing with an absolute by drawing his lightsaber? Maybe Anakin wanted to continue to rant non-sense for a few more minutes and it's Obi Wan who's saying "cut this, time to die."

11. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I don't think Only statements should be made as Jedi and Sith aren't very different at all plus Obi proves how pointless the line is himself.

SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  12. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    It's like saying, "You know what they say about people who make generalizations..."