main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Only Imperial Stormtroopers are so precise.

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by The Admiral Snackbar, Oct 4, 2014.

1. The Admiral Snackbar

The Admiral Snackbar Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 3, 2014
    I don't know if someone has posted this before but just thought I would revive the Stormtroopers reputation a bit. As they are awesome.
    Found this on youtube shame more people haven't seen it.

Kato Sai, StrikerKOJ and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  2. sbk1234

sbk1234 Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 21, 2014
    Cute video. I know they have a reputation for being not the greatest shots, but I do think that's exaggerated. However, I tend to think that they are not all fantastic shots, either. With an entire galaxy to fill with probably millions of stormtroopers, I figure their training would be a bit lacking in some places. Especially when you think that stormtroopers often become little more than cannon fodder. Better marksmen would probably be assigned to more prestigious or important posts, like Vader's personal troops, the Death Star (which may be contradicted here), and so on. I always assumed that the stormtrooper ranks are made of conscripted soldiers who would probably not be the most motivated troops anyway, and therefore a bit lax on the aim.

3. The Admiral Snackbar

The Admiral Snackbar Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 3, 2014
    Yeah i mean ive never thought of them as fantastic shots ether i just wanted to show that they are pretty good shots not super amazing but good. Guys like Scout Troopers probably have good aim though as in lore they are known as excellent marksmen with Sniper Rifles.

4. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Tie Pilots aren't stormtroopers, but decent video other than that.

5. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    people make fun of them not being good shots, but they hit plenty of people other than the main characters.

mikeximus, rumsmuggler and Kato Sai like this.
  6. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    I am with JEDI-RISING, the only reason Stormtroopers miss is because the heroes have Cast armor or god armor. They are too important to get hit, so the troopers have to look like poor shots. However, this taboo was somewhat broken in ROTJ when trooper hits Leia.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  7. Bennihana

Bennihana Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 22, 2014
    I've noticed that in Rebels our main characters have no second thoughts about running into Stormtrooper fire because they know there's no chance they're going to get hit.

Kato Sai likes this.
  8. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    That is because Disney and writers of Rebels are exploiting the reputation of Stormtroopers being less than ace shots.

9. Drewdude91

Drewdude91 Jedi Knight star 3

May 21, 2011
    Obi wan likely hadn't run into an actual storm trooper. He's referring to clones. Duh!

10. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    I always liked that they missed all the time, found it to be pretty humorous and gave them a identity. :p

Kato Sai likes this.
  11. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    Stormtrooper Slogan: No one can miss you like us!

12. Rachel_In_Red

Rachel_In_Red Jedi Master star 3

May 12, 2013
    Some good points. However, I doubt the Stormtrooper shooting at Luke and Leia on the Death Star had gotten the memo about letting them go so that they could be tracked.

Kato Sai likes this.
  13. lovelikewinter

lovelikewinter Jedi Knight star 4

May 28, 2014
    Vader's troops actually did really well on the Blockade Runner and in the Battle of Hoth. The Emperor's Legion did ok on Endor, even managing to shoot Leia and R2-D2. It was really only on the Death Star they missed a lot, but that was against two powerful Force-sensitives, a military-trained smuggler and a veteran Wookiee.

Kato Sai likes this.
  14. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    And, if we take Leia's 'They let us escape' line into account, they were not supposed to shoot to kill.

rumsmuggler likes this.
  15. mikeximus

mikeximus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2012

He was actually aiming for Han....

In all serious, sometimes you just have to step back from the in-universe search for an answer and just realize it's a movie...

16. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    That sounds like advice from a Sith. :p

17. Darth Tron

Darth Tron Jedi Youngling

Nov 6, 2014
    They read the script.

18. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    When they started talking about how that wasn't Wedge in the briefing, I almost started to think this was a bad satire. Though it was somewhat informative, Hoth and Yavin aren't really applicable; when people joke about Stormtroopers being bad shots, they're most likely referring to the soldiers on foot... I think it can be agreed that no one really complains about the accuracy of TIE, AT-AT, or even AT-ST pilots.

I have absolutely no problem with the Stormtroopers in A New Hope; they accomplished everything they were set out to do with maximum efficiency. Slaying Jawas, the Lars', the crew of the the Tantive IV, capturing Leia, tracking the droids, NOT killing the heroes (which must've been some good acting). I honestly don't notice how the Stormtroopers can't hit the heroes here, it's all in the heat of the moment. Besides, the "they let us escape" wraps everything up.

In Empire, we see a little bit of the troops swarming the base on Hoth, that's all fine and good. Though the escape from Cloud City was where things became a little noticeable.

And then came Jedi and the Ewoks vs. Stormtroopers. Yep, I think that's really where the joke originated.