main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

only sith throw things

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by ThePhantom, Nov 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThePhantom

ThePhantom Jedi Youngling

Nov 5, 2003
    When watching AOTC was anyone else startled when, in the factory on Geonosis, Anakin used the force to throw some good sized pieces of metal?

I wasn't just startled by his impressive display of power, but also by the fact that he, a Jedi, threw something in an offensive way. Can anyone else think of sometime where a jedi threw something at an opponent?

Whenever a jedi manipulates objects with the force, it always seems like he is drawing his lightsaber to his hand, lifting something, or balancing something. I don't recall seeing anyone besides Maul, Dooku, and Vader throw things.

Is this because throwing is reserved for sith (since throwing is more offensive in nature)?

When Dooku throws things at Yoda, Yoda just stops them. Why doesn't he throw the objects back at Dooku? Is offensively throwing things a sign of the dark side (therefore Anakin's display shows his sithly side)?

Thoughts?

2. Darth_Nubian

Darth_Nubian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 21, 2000
    "A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense. Never for attack."

Yoda-ESB

3. ThePhantom

Nov 5, 2003
    Yes, I had that quote in mind when writing my post.

If what Yoda says is the absolute truth, then shouldn't Anakin force-throwing those objects be a big deal? I never really heard any of my friends mention it but it seemed like a very important moment to me, possibly his first time using a "dark-side power".

4. Darth_Nubian

Darth_Nubian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 21, 2000
    I very well could be. Notice how he doesn't do it in front of anyone else.

5. Cometgreen

Cometgreen Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 2002
    Yep, that was one thing that I immediately connected to ESB. Not Yoda's quote, but rather Vader's throwing of stuff at Luke. And notice that Anakin throws robotic arms.

For something added in post photography, the droid sequence has a helluva lot of symbolism/irony.

Cometgreen

6. Delorean_Kenobi

Delorean_Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Mar 14, 2003
    Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon didn't seem to mind using the Force to push battle droids away from them(in self-defence) back in Phantom Menace. That could be seen as throwing objects around.

7. JediMasterChiefYoda

JediMasterChiefYoda Jedi Master star 3

Aug 8, 2003
    Yes, Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon throw things, but they were in defense. However Anikin through things in attack. However, in his defense, he was grossly out-numbered. Maybe this is one of those sences that you could interpt either way.

8. TheWombat

TheWombat Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 9, 2002
    It's a slightly grey area, but to me a Force push is a not really an attack. You're basically just getting them the heck away from you. Plus, they're droids, and not really alive anyway.

9. Ret

Ret Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 17, 1999
    Wouldn't you say Anakin was defending himself in the factory?

10. ForceMaster101

ForceMaster101 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 30, 2003
    He could of just Force Pushed the Geonosians though besides just Force Throwing something

11. InDookusDefense

InDookusDefense Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 7, 2003
    A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense. Never for attack.

Yoda-ESB"

Actually, Yoda uses the force to attack when he deflects Dooku's lightening back at him. He did not have to do that, as he could have absorbed it like he did later.

12. ThePhantom

Nov 5, 2003
    True, but Yoda didn't create his own lightning. He just sent Dooku's back at him. That seems to be a bit less attacking in nature.

I've always interpreted Yoda's quote to mean "Jedi aren't supposed to be aggressive".

I felt that "attack" had to be taken loosely since the Jedi obviously have to kill people and break things in order to preserve the peace. Otherwise, a Jedi would never be able to kill a Sith or break a droid (if they truly weren't allowed to attack if we define attack as any offensive action).

So the Jedi were allowed to kill people and break things, but only as a last resort and with a non-aggressive attitude. (the Sith on the other hand- "Use your aggressive feelings, boy!" Emp to Luke)

OB1 and QGJ force-pushing droids looks much less aggressive than Anakin or Dooku hurling objects at their opponents.

Then again, anything done to a droid just doesn't seem as aggressive or violent.

13. Delorean_Kenobi

Delorean_Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Mar 14, 2003
    I'm sure Obi-Wan would have used the same technique that Anakin did if he were the one being attacked in the droid factory.

14. Cometgreen

Jul 28, 2002
    What's interesting is that, so far, Anakin is the only Jedi on screen to kill living things, with the exception of Sith. Obiwan and Quigon only destroyed droids, and Obiwan merely cut off some limbs to disarm his opponents.

Cometgreen

15. openmind

openmind Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    And Mace Windu who kills Jango. Now that's even more disturbing. Palpy is laughing all the way to the Bank.

16. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001
    Qui-Gon cutting into the security door in PM was an attack, not a defensive action. I think it's been simple coincidence that only Sith have thrown things up until now. Jedi mind tricks are pretty invasive too, agree?

17. Onizuka

Onizuka Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 9, 2003
    Well, I'm not surprised Anakin uses the same technique as Vader does. In fact, they are the SAME person.

18. openmind

openmind Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    Speaking of Vader mannerisms, if you see in TPM when Anakin is trying to convince Qui Gon to enter his pod. See Anakin (Jake Lloyd) pointing his finger a few times at Qui Gon. Vader does the same thing with Piett "don't fail me again, Admiral" - Pardon if I got the quote wrong.

Edit: And Anakin later does (whether it was intentional or not Im not sure), crosses his arms very confidentally after Watto agrees to get Anakin to race after [in Huttese] "...foolish one me thinks" a la what Darth Maul does when he is introduced by Sidious to Nute Gunray after Sidious' "this is my apprentice Darth Maul. He will find your lost ship!"

19. NiktosRule

NiktosRule Jedi Padawan star 4

May 8, 2001
    I wouldn't consider Anakin throwing things at the Geonosians an attack. He was doing that to defend himself because they were clearly going to attack him. Offensive moves are allowed when your in a battle. Anakin didn't start the fight with the Geonosians. He was just trying to finish it.

20. SaberGiiett7

SaberGiiett7 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 2, 2002
    Good detective work ThePhantom. :D I would've NEVER had notice this if you hadn't mentioned it. I do think it is a symbol of Anakin's descent to Darkside.

It's a highly effective manipulation of using the Force though -- I'd probably do the same thing in combat if giving the oppurtunity. [face_devil]

It's important to notice that throughout the saga it's mainly Anakin/Vader for the most part that actually employ this technique.

<[-]> Saber

21. ThePhantom

Nov 5, 2003
    "He was doing that to defend himself because they were clearly going to attack him."

Well, that's true (from a certain point of view).

But doesn't it seem like an unnecessarily aggressive and show-off way to take care of them? It would've been much quicker to just force push his opponents up against a wall or piece of machinery. That only requires waving the hand at them. To force-throw an object at them he had to focus on the object first and then direct it at his enemies. If they would've been droids with blasters then they would've had enough time to get a couple shots off (as opposed to a force-push which immediately renders them useless).

The force-throw takes longer which makes it not the most intelligent choice in most cases. It seems to be an option for people who want to show how big and bad they are (and Ani sure looked pretty big and bad during that scene).

22. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    Next thing you know...we'll be debating whether Qui-Gon using the Force on chance cubes is of the Dark Side? ;)

Regardless of the Force-direction of the attack...I think it is up to the individual situation for jedi to utilize a particular move. Qui-Gon and Kit Fisto have been seen utilizing a Force-push in combat...there is nothing yet to suggest throwing an object at an enemy is a "cheap shot" and could lead to the dark side. Perhaps the jedi would rather engage in 0ne-on-One combat, and the introduction of outside elements is considered "too aggressive."

Anakin was throwing droid parts around...as he was outnumbered and outgunned. Perhaps he felt using the environment around his to even the odds would help him reach padme quicker. THe longer he's jumping and running around...the greater Padme's chances of being killed.

23. Cometgreen

Jul 28, 2002
    I think what Phantom may be suggesting, at least it's what I am, is that force throwing is simply symbolic of the dark side. It doesn't need to technically be a dark side trait, but we are seeing Anakin use a move only other sith masters have used. It's simply another subtle visual clue in the PT (one of the things I love most about the PT).

Cometgreen

24. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    Did not Yoda "throw" the pylon away from Anakin and Obi-wan?

IIRC, the only Force power that is not shown to be used by both the Jedi and Sith is the Jedi mind trick (though I think it's made clear by Dooku that Sidious is using something of that nature on the Senate.) The power, itself, isn't the prime determinant, but how the power is used.

[EDIT] - Oops, now I remembered the other. Maul actually pushes Obi-wan (another living being) with the Force. This is something not seen done by the Jedi (though I don't think this means it is impossible for them.)

25. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    *chucks tennis ball across the room*

I dunno, man...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.