main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Only the strong and the foolish..." From the further adventures of Kyp Durron!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Duke-Dogwalker, Dec 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Duke-Dogwalker

Duke-Dogwalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 2, 2002
    Okay, I never did this before... so be nice!

?Only the strong and the foolish??

Borleias, pre invasion.

?It?s Corran Horn.?

?Kyp.? The corellian Jedi?s flinty eyes regarded him for a moment, and then flicked away to the horizon.

?What can I do for you Corran??

Corran sniffed, and waved a vague hand down in the direction of the flight hanger, adjoined to the old biotics facility. From the vantage point of the bluff, the hastily fabricated structure looked even flatter than usual. ?Problem with one of yours.?

Kyp smiled and relaxed back into the grass. ?Not my squadron.?

?I can?t locate Jaina Solo. Besides, she?s off duty.?

He waved a hand without looking up. ?Find Jag Fel.?

Kyp felt Horn?s exasperated sigh before he heard it. ?He?s also off duty. And I suspect, hidden away in the same place as Jaina.?

A frown crossed the face of the younger man, but still he remained prone. ?I?m taking a break right now, I?ll be with you as soon as I?m ready. Find Piggy saBinring?

?Says here you?re on duty.? Corran brandished a data-pad at Kyp like a weapon.

Kyp pushed himself up on his elbows, and eyed the pad. Lifting a hand from the grass, a flicker of movement passed across his fingers and the Force sprung the datapad out from Corran?s grasp, and into his own. He flipped it around to the proper orientation, and scrutinized it. A flicker of annoyance showed in the bearded face of Rogue squadron?s second in command, which Kyp smiled inwardly at. A Powerful Jedi in his own right, Corran was nevertheless severely restricted by his inability to move objects through the Force. ?Sorry Colonel. Seemed the simplest way to do it.?

?The simplest solutions are not always the best ones, especially when it comes to the Force. You, more than most should know that.?

Kyp laughed. ?Still doing your bit as Master Skywalker?s echo??

Corran crossed his arms. ?We do see eye-to-eye on many issues, if that?s what you mean.?

?Sure.?

?And that?s beside the point. Fact is you?re the most senior member of Twin-Suns on duty, as you can now so simply see, and right now I need you down in that flight hanger.?

?Yeah? You see the thing is Corran, I?d love to help you out right now.?

The corellian?s eyebrows arched. ?But??

Kyp looked at him, some small sense of apology in his expression. ?Well I never really did work like that. And I joined Jaina, under her command. I don?t answer to the military. If you?ve got a problem, take it up with our local goddess.?

The young Jedi master could clearly feel the suppressed thunder rolling in the back of Horn?s mind. ?Kyp, I think I can speak for Jaina right now. I do after all, outrank her.?

Kyp shook his head. ?No you don?t. Not with this goddess thing, Yun Yumza.?

?Yun Harla.?

?Whatever, the name doesn?t really matter, just the policy. Twin-Suns does as it pleases.?

?That, is an act.?

?What better way to act than er? act??

?It?s Jaina?s act, not yours. Look, Kyp, I haven?t got time for this.?

Kyp nodded solemnly. ?I agree.? Then he flopped back down and closed his eyes.

?Kyp? Kyp!?

?Go away.?

Corran looked down at the prone form in disgust. ?Right. I?m going. I?ve got a nice little job for Whistler.?

?Bye.?

?He always did fancy himself as an amateur mechanic.?

?Mind how you go. It?s a steep climb down.?

?And he has had his photoreceptor on that nova- painted x-wing of yours.?

?Hmm.? Kyp mumbled, and resting his forearm over his eyes, went off in search of sleep.

It was a few moments, and then Kyp opened his eyes and looked up into the sky. He frowned. He couldn?t do that. Could he? Nobody could interfere with his ship, not even the second in command of the great Rogue Squadron. Surely not. He rolled onto his side, and pushed up. Looking over the edge of the bluff, Kyp saw that Horn was skillfully negotiating the last of the incline, the Jedi pilot?s compact body moving easily over the rough terrain. ?Hey, Corran!?

Corran kept moving, a fast jog over the flat ground towards the hanger door

2. Amithyst_Blade

Amithyst_Blade Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2001
    wow! this is really good! you surprised me!

sey

3. Runaway_Shadow

Runaway_Shadow Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 25, 2002
    Wow, this looks good, really really good

I like your writing style. More coming?

4. Crimson_Sabre

Crimson_Sabre Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 20, 2002
    Hey, hey, hey! I'm not only impressed with this story so far, but I'm REALLY blown away by those pictures of yours. They look digital, and I was wondering how long it takes to make each one. I thought that second Corran picture was quite humorous.

As for the story, go figure, they're attracted to each other, but the stooge, Jag Fel, stays in the picture.

5. Duke-Dogwalker

Sep 2, 2002
    wow! this is really good! you surprised me!

What, you expected it to be rubbish? ;)

Anyway thankyou Ami, for your (somewhat dubious!) praise... and Shadow and Sabre thanks too guys! - keep watching! I've actually got the whole story done, but i was advised to post it bit by bit - I dunno how much text can fit into one post!

But don't expect Jaina to feature much - She does have an effect on the story, but it's Kyp's story first and foremost - all the other characters are secondary, and will drift in and out as need be... Hope that's cool!

Now, lets see if i can post some more....

6. Duke-Dogwalker

Sep 2, 2002
    Okay, that seemed to work...

Oh, I almost forgot to say - thanks for the praise about the pictures Sabre. :) Yeah, I paint them from scratch in photoshop... I'm doing more all the time, so check out the fanart section for updates... plus there's lots of other great stuff there, so go check it out - the art forum is too dead, so pile in people!

here's the next part. And will someone tell me - that exchange between Corran and Wedge, it seemed awfully familiar after I wrote it - has it been done before in one of the books, or am i just being paranoid??

read on....

?Not Kyp Durron.? Corran Horn shook his helmeted head. ?Thanks Wedge, and there was me thinking that life in the squadron would be easier now with Gavin in charge.?

Corran heard his old commander?s soft laughter over the com, a mixture of mirth and malice. ?Guess again Corran. It?s just the same as before, only I have more power now.?

?Right. And I?m even married to your oldest friend, does nepotism count for nothing any more??

?On the contrary, your wife merely gives me inside knowledge. I know your weaknesses.?

Corran chuckled. ?Well, I hope she hasn?t told you all my weaknesses.?

?Your secrets are safe of course? for a price.?

?You old crook! How?s a glass of corellian brandy sound??

Wedge sounded shocked. ?A glass? I was thinking more along the lines of a bottle.?

Corran glanced down at his sensor board, and noted the two incoming blips. ?You drive a hard bargain boss. I see my new wingmates on the board now, who?s the second, Lieutenant Ketch??

Corran could imagine Wedge?s grin at the thought of the fictional ewok pilot. ?Afraid not, we?re fresh out of ewoks. Will a gamorean do??

The corellian Jedi?s green eyes brightened. ?Voort saBinring? Good, he almost makes up for Kyp. Almost.?

Wedge?s tone sobered. ?Don?t be too hard on him Corran.?

?What? Is this you I?m talking to? What have you done with the real Wedge??

Corran heard the battle seasoned sigh of his old commander. ?Look, I know I?ve had my differences with him in the past, but he?s fighting with us now. He might be a loose canon, but now he?s our loose canon. Best to keep him on your side Corran.?

?Don?t tell me you?re scared of him Wedge, please.?

Wedge laughed. ?You know me better than that. I?m just saying that he does have an awful lot of useful skills, and if we can help to point them in the right direction, so much the better. Besides, there?s room for redemption in everyone, Kyp included. The Wraiths taught me that. At least he means well.?

?I think he means to put me in an early grave.?

?Luke has confidence in him.?

?Luke?s crazy. And you can tell him that.?

?I will!? Then wedge?s tone became all business. ?But regardless, I know you?re too professional to let Kyp get to you. Duty calls for me. May the force be with you Corran. Oh and I?ll be expecting that bottle when you return.?

?I wish I shared your confidence with my attitude boss, but I?ll do my best. And it?ll be a shared bottle. Horn out.?

Corran killed the connection, but only had a moment to reflect before he was interrupted by a loud screech from Whistler. He craned his neck back, despite the fact that it would make no difference to the sound carried. ?What??

He looked down at the readout, and frowned. He activated the comm. ?Kyp!?

The reply came back almost static free. ?Yes??

?Leave my droid alone, that?s an order. And yes, up here you do need to listen to what I say, unless you want people to start dying that is.?

Kyp?s voice carried over sincerely. ?Of course, I wouldn?t dispute that. You?re in charge. But I don?t know what your astro?s talking about, do you think he needs a memory wipe??

Corran ignored the loud burst of anger from Whistler, and tried to keep his voice level while making a placating gesture to his little droid. ?He says you jostled him with the force.?

?Oh,? said Kyp. ?Solar wind perhaps??

Corran dipped his head and pinched the bridge of his nose between forefinger and thumb. Kyp was not going t

7. Crimson_Sabre

Aug 20, 2002
    Corran and Kyp working together and General Antilles not bad-mouthing our favorite character for once. It's a shame that nepotism plays as big a role it does in not only the NR military, but our country today, in general. Clearly, people like Corran expected to be treated better than Kyp simply because of who they are and who they're related to. Also, Antilles does indeed, at least from the books and most of the fanfics that I've read, give his friends and relatives better treatment than everyone else. Now normally, I wouldn't have a problem with that, but if you're in the military, you're in it to win it. In this case, to win the war against the Vong. Unfortunately, people like Antilles don't really care and don't bother to take note of the consequences because he knows that no matter what, he'll be viewed as a 'great' general by most in the NR from his previous feats.

8. Duke-Dogwalker

Sep 2, 2002
    To be honest, I'd never really thought of that - it was just meant to be Corran having a dig at wedge - but you're right, Wedge does seem to favour his buddies! (well, who doesn't I suppose...) :D

But I must say I do I reckon wedge to be a great general, above all else, hence his stand on Kyp here. He might not like him, or what he's done in the past, but he does recognise him as a useful weapon to be used, if only he can be controlled!

I'll go and fetch some more text.

Read on, read on....

9. Duke-Dogwalker

Sep 2, 2002
    next bit:

The cockpit door sealed closed, Kyp made his way back to the chamber holding the stasis tubes. They were dark and cold, cylinders of sleek polished metal protruding from stocky bases. There were no obvious status lights, or controls for that matter, but Kyp soon found a small panel at the side of the closest. He flipped it open to reveal a hidden keypad. It was a simple enough affair to command the first tube to bring its guest out of stasis, and a moment or two later the tube began to hum with activity. Kyp watched as the seconds passed, and before long the curved frontal area split down the center to form two opening sections. They slowly eased open, to the accompaniment of a great deal of hissing and jets of steam. Inside, a light sheen of sweat on her face, lay a young human girl of about maybe ten years of age. She was strapped firmly in, so she did not fall forward. Kyp studied her perfectly serene face, and almost envied her the peace she was in. It didn?t last though, as soon her light brown features stirred, and a pair of almond shaped eyes popped open and stared back at Kyp.

He raised his hands, palms outwards. ?Easy. I?m a Jedi, I?m here to help.? He unclipped his lightsaber from his belt as if in evidence. ?Here, look.?

Her voice came almost croaky at first. ?I? I can?t see anything.?

Kyp nodded, more to himself than to the girl. ?Yeah, of course. Don?t worry about that, you?ll be seeing again pretty soon. It?s quite dark in here anyway, not much to look at.?

?Uh, okay.?

?My name?s Kyp, I?m going to un-strap you now and take you somewhere where you can sit down, okay??

?Where?s Brennan? I still can?t see.? He voice was becoming a little panicky.

?It?ll take a few minutes, that?s all. You be seeing fine before you know it.?

?Where?s Brennan??

?Brennan, is that your mom? Your dad??

?No, she?s my friend. She takes care of me.?

?Oh.? Kyp paused and thought for a moment. ?Is she in one of these tubes??

The girl?s body moved slightly as she attempted a shrug. ?I don?t know, I got in first. I think she is though, that?s what she said.?

?Okay then I?m going to open this one, the one next to yours. Okay??

The girl nodded, her best movement yet.

?What?s your name?? Asked Kyp.

?My name?s Emi.?

Kyp smiled as he flipped up the panel on the next cylinder. ?Nice to meet you Emi.?

Emi kept quiet as Kyp punched the keys, but after a moment or so she spoke up. ?Are you really a Jedi??

Kyp almost chuckled as he answered, steam spraying from the second pod as it opened. ?Yes, I am.?

?Oh.? Pause. ?I never met a real Jedi before.?

?No?? Kyp gestured towards her. ?Watch this.?

?I can?t watch anything, I still can?t- Oh!? Emi started as her restraints snapped open, and her body floated clear of the stasis tube. She let out a short scream, but it soon turned into a shrill giggle. ?I?m floating, Jedi magic, wow! Hey put me down Jedi, I want to get down!?
    Kyp lowered her gently to the deck. ?Careful now. Your legs still might not be able to take your weight.?

?I?m alright.?

?Unh? Emi? That you??

Kyp swung his gaze back around at the sound of the voice, and saw that it had come from the woman in the second cylinder. Her hair was long, pulled back into a ponytail, and her face was somber. Her narrow eyes were searching for what they could not see. Kyp spoke softly. ?My name?s Kyp Durron. Jedi Master.?

?Durron? I know who you are. Where is captain Jhenna??

?Other than you guys,? Kyp saw no reason to spell things out with the young girl present. ?I?m the only one here.?

The woman, Brennan, Kyp presumed, assumed a troubled look. ?What happened??

?I think I better get you and the child out into the light. Somewhere to sit down, then I can explain.?

?I?m not a child.?

?Sorry Emi. Will young lady do??

?Yeah.?

Outside, Kyp found a bench in the most habitable looking spot in the ship, and sat the two of them down as Brennan began to fumble for her sight. Emi seemed wide-awake now; her shiny black hair cut into a bob

10. Deneveon

Deneveon Jedi Master star 4

Jun 6, 2002
    I like this story so far!

More soon?

11. Duke-Dogwalker

Sep 2, 2002
    don't tell me you read it all already... I only just posted that last bit!!

It's all done, so there's more whenever you want, but it's only around 20,000 words - it'll run out before long!

Anyway, thanks Deneveon! I'll put more up real soon...

edit: oh okay, only 3 minutes diff. in the post time - nobody reads that fast!

edit2: and one of these days I'll even learn to count!

12. the_jedi_princess

the_jedi_princess Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 26, 2002
    Mesa liken this very much!!! Keep it going!!!

13. Deneveon

Deneveon Jedi Master star 4

Jun 6, 2002
    Oooh I didn't see that last post. Stupid 56K internet. :mad:

Anyway, yeah, I'm liking this. Keep it up.

14. Crimson_Sabre

Aug 20, 2002
    Heh, that's the role I always picture Kyp in. Whoopin' ass 24/7, whether it be Yuuzhan Vong, Peace Brigade, or Jag Fel's ass. [face_devil] Needless to say, I really hate his guts (as you can see on my sig) and I can't wait to see how Kyp deals w/ the Peacers. BTW, putting your stuff in the KAJSU folder was funny because your stuff doubled the size of the Kyp&Jaina folder. (I'm a member) ;) I especially liked that picture w/ a duel on it. Who is fighting there?

15. Duke-Dogwalker

Sep 2, 2002
    Mesa liken this very much!!!

Mesa bustin' wid happiness to hear dat! :D

Stupid 56K internet.

Tell me about it, me too.

BTW, putting your stuff in the KAJSU folder was funny because your stuff doubled the size of the Kyp&Jaina folder.

[face_information_passes_over_head..._at_a_great_height!]

I'm probably being really stupid here, but I've no idea what a KAJSU folder is! The duel picture you were talking about - the duel pic from my site? It's Kyp and Jaina during their 'friendly' duel from DJ.

Anyway, that may be beyond me, but kick-ass is certainly withing the range of my mental capacities.

here it comes...

16. Duke-Dogwalker

Sep 2, 2002
    Sorry Sabre, I have to confess that none of these peace brigade boys are Jag Fel in disguise! :D

?We?ve got them tractored in sir, extending docking tube now.?

The Peace Brigade commander nodded briefly to his subordinate. ?Good. I will inform our allies of the progress. Be ready.?

The subordinate snapped a salute, his fist hammering the opposite shoulder in true Yuuzhan Vong style, and left. Commander Vloanes rose from his seat and straightened his uniform, the clasped hands insignia of the Brigade clearly displayed high up on one arm. The Yuuzhan Vong warriors, three of them, were standing stock still and facing one another, eyes closed, as Vloanes entered the chamber. ?Commander Vloanes.? Rumbled their chief. ?I do not hold with the spending of all this time aboard your blasphemy of a spacecraft, I pray, for your sake, that you have news.?

Vloanes swallowed. ?Yes sir. The freighter has been disabled and we will gain entry presently.?

?Are you sure that there are Jeedai aboard??

Vloanes straightened. ?It is my hope, that Jaina Solo herself is aboard. Our intelligences speak of only two Jedi being free from regular duty serving on Borleias, therefore we have a one in two chance. Regardless, the capture of any Jedi would be a boon surely, an opportunity for us all to achieve greatness in the eyes of Yun Yamka.?

Atrach Ghar turned sharply. ?An opportunity for myself and my brothers to achieve greatness. You, on the other hand, can satisfy yourself by attaining tolerable status, and thereby gaining continued existence.?

Vloanes felt himself grinning internally. ?And for that I will be truly grateful, for I will be in a position to continue to follow the teachings of the glorious Yuuzhan Vong. You must excuse me now, I go to my men. When I return, I will have a Jedi to present.?

?Damaged but not destroyed.?

?Understood. Damaged but not destroyed.?

The warrior turned his back on Vloanes as the Peace Brigade commander snapped a salute at his back, and left the chamber to the accompanying sound of a hissing blast door. Vloanes strode confidently towards the turbo lift. He wondered, was this what it was like for his father, who had served under Darth Vader when the empire had still been strong, during the galactic civil war? Serving under zealots had a strange dual effect. There was fear of course, but also a thrill of excitement. Hard to explain. And here he was now, about to oversee the capture of Vader?s granddaughter. Full circle.

As he exited the turbolift, an aide was at hand to help him strap on his body-armor, and then hand him a battle helmet, which he exchanged for his cap. Finally a blaster rifle was placed in his grip, and he strode forward around a bend and into the wide docking tube. Squads of men, his men, lined the decking. Vloanes felt a surge of pride within him as his disciplined force turned to salute their commander, and he could see that pride mirrored in their eyes. He gave the go signal, and the troops all fell into defensive postures, blasters and other small arms covering the hatchway. An engineer, brandishing his detonator, threw Vloanes one final glance. Vloanes nodded, crouched with his own blaster ready, and the engineer pressed down on the trigger. The far end of the docking tube was hermetically sealed to the side of the battle seared freighter, and the small airlock began to fizz noisily as sparks ran the length of its edges. It glowed white-hot for a moment, and then blew inwards with a loud bang. Smoke poured out from the small opening, but nothing more. Vloanes rose from his crouched position and signaled a squad of men to do the same. But then he heard a noise. It was a noise he had never heard before, but somehow one he recognized instantly. It started with something like the ice-cold hiss of some foul creature best left undisturbed, and then the docking-tube began to reverberate with the vibrating hum of a cutting edge, an edge sharp enough to cut the very molecules of the air around it. A purple blade slowly coalesced

17. J_K_DART

J_K_DART Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    Hi Duke! Aren't fully up-to-date - running low on time today! - but I *will* be soon, SUPERB writing! :D

18. Duke-Dogwalker

Sep 2, 2002
    cheers JK! :)

19. Crimson_Sabre

Aug 20, 2002
    Mmm, would that make Corran bitter or what, seeing someone else fight like that; using his lightsaber AND using the telekinetic powers that a guy like Kyp Durron has. His speaking was very well done and very Jedi-like, although Kyp isn't exactly your role-model Jedi. But, then again, that's why he's the best. Cuz he's unpredictable. [face_devil]

20. Duke-Dogwalker

Sep 2, 2002
    glad you liked the action Sabre!

I imagine something of a conflict inside Kyp - he knows what needs to be done in order to get the job done, and also knows that he should remain calm and focused. But I think there's also a small voice somewhere in there, as always, telling him to fight for the sake of fighting. It makes him feel bad, and perhaps he needs to constantly remind himself that what he's doing is right, regardless of his feelings about it.

The vongie chap saw this and tried to mock him for it...

I'm actually just on my way, but I'll post more story 2morrow morning!

21. Runaway_Shadow

Jun 25, 2002
    That wwere some great posts!

More please

pretty please?

Please soon

8-}

22. Duke-Dogwalker

Sep 2, 2002
    more...

Once he had stepped beyond the airlock and into the relative darkness of the freighter?s bowels, Kyp sagged against a bulkhead. He hardly noticed as one of the sullustans, Pino, rushed up to him, unsure as to what to do. Brennan strode in purposefully. ?Give him some room Pino, he?s had a busy day.?

Kyp raised his stooped head and looked about, bloodied hair hanging across his eyes. The rest of the small freighter?s occupants were slowly revealing themselves from hiding places among the shadows, tentatively moving forward. ?It?s not over yet.?

Brennan?s brow furrowed. ?I saw. Didn?t you get all of them??

?No,? he shook his head. ?There?ll still be a skeleton crew on the bridge, plus I didn?t kill them all. Prisoners. We need to put them in detention.?

?Why??

??Cause this ship is useless. We?ll take that one instead.?

Brennan pointed to the hatchway, eyes wide. ?That one? Have you seen the size of that thing??

?It?s our only choice, but we have to move fast. The bridge crew?re probably in contact right now with those x-wings. I disabled the cameras out there while I was at it, so we need to act while we still have some sense of confusion on our side.?

?Great. Okay, you don?t look like you can take a step further. Want me to handle this??

A flurry of blaster bolts rang out from back in the docking tube area. Kyp looked pointedly back at Brennan. ?I can manage. You and your people can help by rounding up the prisoners while I take the bridge. Agreed??

She nodded, looking concerned.

Driving his lightsaber deep into the bridge?s blast door, Kyp grimaced as the molten durasteel began to drop away. He didn?t need this delay. It took him a while, and he cursed every second that passed, but at least he heard no alarm from the borrowed comlink attached to his lapel. Brennan and the others must be doing alright. Eventually the door yielded, and Kyp stepped through the white-hot viscous hole he had created. Half a dozen repeater blasters opened up on him, but he was simply not there by the time the shots poured out. As the smoke cleared he stepped cleanly through the remaining bridge crew, spearing the captain through the chest just as he was bringing his repeater to bear. More needless death, but Kyp had no time. He dropped heavily into the captain?s chair and closed his eyes. Reaching out with the force, he activated the navi-computer station while as the same time keying in a situational request from the scanner station. He hit the receive switch on the captain?s com board.

?This is the captain speaking.? He managed.

?You Jedi scum, we know you?ve taken the bridge. Power down all systems now or we will blast you from space.? The x-wing flight leader, presumably.

?Copy that x-wing.?

?Meaning??

Close to the edge of the dovin basal mine?s range. Good. ?Meaning I got your message.?

?I have no time, and less patience, for games my Jedi friend. Unless I see those reactors go off-line in the next thirty seconds, we open fire.?

?Complying.? Kyp hit the remote release activator for the docking tube.
    ?Jedi, the freighter has just drifted free. I did not command that.?

With no more time to mess about, Kyp raised the shields and punched it. ?Last one to the jump point?s a yellow skornt. Durron out.? He killed the connection.

While no slouch for its size, the corvette still had no chance in outrunning a starfighter. Built like a 200 meter long airspeeder, the marauder corvette?s sleek lines betrayed its design as an atmosphere capable craft, but in the depths of space its mass counted against it just as with as any other starship. True to its looks, the pre-imperial era starship came equipped with a pilot?s control yoke, fully accessible from the captain?s chair. Kyp activated the system and grabbed hold of the yoke, putting the broad starship into a fast spin. He couldn?t deviate from his course too much, as it would then take that much longer to reach the jump point, but he wasn?t going to make it any easier for the snubfighters. Nevertheles

23. Runaway_Shadow

Jun 25, 2002
    Yay another post! Awesome!

24. Duke-Dogwalker

Sep 2, 2002
    and more... (gonna be done soon!)

Kyp awoke bit by bit, the sense of his body being supported by the bed beneath him returning gradually. He was lying on his back still, and gently easing his eyes open, he stared up at the ceiling as it came slowly into focus. Tentatively, he reached out and channeled the Force through his own body, assessing its condition. With the last of his energy, he had placed himself into a healing trance. All the little cuts and bruises had now faded, and his hand beneath the bacta-patch was well on its way to recovery. A faint, inviting smell caused Kyp to glance to his right, and he realized that he was not alone. Lying curled up beside him, her back turned, was Yionne. Her hair was splayed out across the pillow, and her body moved slowly in time with her breathing. She was fast asleep. Careful so as not to disturb her, Kyp rose from his prone position and slid his now un-booted feet to the floor. He looked about briefly and spotted his knee length boots neatly placed by the door. Yionne must have removed them while he had slept. In another corner, was a large crate. Kyp remembered having seen it aboard the freighter. Then it hit him. The refugees, they had only little more the clothes they stood in, all their worldly possessions must be in that box. Yionne must have brought it in here for safekeeping. Kyp smiled at that.

Emerging from the ?fresher a short while later, Kyp ran his fingers through his still damp hair and tossed his blood stained clothes into a pile on the floor. He had found a pair of loose slacks among the captain?s things that seemed to fit him well enough, and he dug his bare toes into what carpet there was to be had. He glanced across at the full-length mirror. The slacks were a deep blue, but Jedi looking enough. Always having been a lean man, the passing years had merely added muscle to his tall frame, filling out the wiry youth he had once been. After having spent slightly longer admiring himself than he was entirely comfortable with, Kyp turned and left the small room.

The bridge was empty, and silent save for the background chatter of diagnostic tones. It was clear of bodies too. Brennan and her people must have been busy, even if the place was empty now. Kyp sauntered over the navigational station, and checked the readouts. Hapes was only a short while away now ? he must have been asleep for some time. He moved over to the transparisteel viewports and looked out, hyperspace swirling all around them. Suddenly he felt worried, and remembered that he had left his lightsaber back in the captain?s quarters. It didn?t strike him as being at all like Brennan, to leave the bridge unattended. Kyp turned slowly, almost superstitiously, remembering that his enemies were invisible to the Force. The bridge looked innocently empty behind him, but Kyp did sense a presence approaching from the adjoining access way. He relaxed however, and turned back to the viewports. The presence was a familiar one.

?I brought this? said Yionne, as she stepped through the hole in the blast door. ?I thought you might want it with you.?

Kyp turned, hoping to look as if he had only just noticed her. ?What was that??

?Your lightsaber.? She held it cradled in two hands, warily. ?You left it.?

Kyp nodded, resisting the urge to summon the silver cylinder to him through the force. ?Thankyou.?

She walked up to him. ?I was very careful with it. It looks, uh, not safe.? She smiled, slightly embarrassed.

Kyp showed her a friendly look in return. ?It reflects the man who built it, but don?t worry, it has a safety.?

?Like the man who built it??

Kyp shrugged and looked away. ?Oh I didn?t build it. It was built by someone called Gantoris, a long time ago.?

?Oh.? She looked down at the lightsaber in her hands, and turned it over very slowly, feeling its weight. ?Where? What happened to him??

Kyp shook his head. ?He died.? His eyes went blank as he looked over her head. ?Like I said, a along time ago.?

?I?m sorry.? She wasn?t sure where to look.

25. Runaway_Shadow

Jun 25, 2002
    Yay, another post! You aren't going to post more by any chance???

I like Yionne, she good!

Please moree...

pretty please? *pulls innocent face*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.